Need new battery??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I think my 2004 ford focus may need a new battery. The green light on the top of battery that shows if the battery is good is very dim almost can't see it. Also car seems to be getting crabby when I run more defrost, heated seat and so on. Is 4 -5 years normal for battery ? What kind/ make do you suggest? THX

You may need to add distilled water if you didn't do it for the last 4-5 years.

If after adding water and the battery still too weak, you can have it test at auto parts store.

If you need to buy battery, Interstate is very good but expensive, Everstart Maxx at Walmart is good too at a more reasonable price.

Check for voltage, should be close to 14 volt after a long run on the highway.

If you can start and the voltage is above 12, that means it could still last for a while.

Also consider a Dynacell. Expensive but extremely well built. They have a full free replacemnt warranty for 5-6 years. My Saturn dealer handles them. Not sure where they are made.

Just replaced my 04's with a SuperStart (EastPenn- Deka). It was actually from green to red on occasion. I put a group 48 in the place of the 40, I think you should have a 40. Thanks to brianl703 any of these would work if it would fit. The 48/91 are 700CCA.

Group 41
Group 47
Group 48
Group 91

If you have a 40 there was only a small difference length wise in 40 and 48 so I'd recommend the 48.

I have had good experiences with Interstate Mega Tron batteries. You can find a dealer from Interstate's web site. I have a deep cycle Interstate on order right now for my motorhome.

I think your best bet for testing used battery is hydrometer. I have the el cheapo type with 4 balls. The old battery will go down quick running motorhome furnace, but will hold a 12.6 volt charge (12.7 is supposed to be fully charged). My hydrometer shows 3 of 4 balls floating in 5 cells which means approx 75% charge and 0 balls floatin in 1 cell, which means a dead cell. Why it holds a 12.6 charge I am told is it's a surface charge and yes it falls off fast. This battery is only a few years old, but was abused.

My Murrays store has a marine battery tester. They put a heavy load on it and check it's recovery time. But still I like the hydrometer. Once had a battery tested with a fancy expensive electronic machine at a shop and they said it was good. I asked if they had a hydrometer. Brought one out from the back room and battery tested bad.

Would be good to get a digital voltmeter and check:

Battery resting (should be ~12.7v as said above)

System voltage at idle, no accessories, should be low 14's.

System voltage at idle, everything on... defrost, lights, heated seats... should be between ~11.5 (batt discharging) to low 14's. But when you raise the engine to 2500 RPM you should go up to the low 14's! If the battery is a real turkey it won't be able to supply the deficit and could dip below 11.5 volts.

The alternator is rated to supply everything AT SPEED, there will be normal dips at idle. If the alt is going bad you won't get the 14v you need and be more often discharging the battery.

Voltmeter needle in my Aerostar will jerk everytime I hit the power locks. There is a surge to fill the coils on the electromagnet that throws the lock bolts.

Interstate is very good. We sell them in the shop.
But I just put a Walmart Ever Start battery in my car. The net was cheaper for me, and highly rated in Consumer's Digest.
I turns out there are not many battery Mfrs. out there.

I avoid Exide made ones, as bad reports don't stop.

From my experience at work exide batteries are NOT the ones to buy, Johnson controls are the better [way] choice .Johnson controls makes Interstate and many other brands that are very good . ie. less corrosion on battery cables , longer service life etc.

Another vote for Johnson Controls. I buy them from a nearby bulk reseller without any brand name stickers on them, much cheaper and the quality is just as good.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Another vote for Johnson Controls. I buy them from a nearby bulk reseller without any brand name stickers on them, much cheaper and the quality is just as good.

What company is that?

I just bought a "motomaster" (canadian tire brand) battery to replace a "john deere" battery in my old Neon. Both batteries have identical safety warnings under their brand stickers. Maybe they are Johnson controls batteries? The "deere" one was 7 years old so hopefully I'll get similar life again.
Ian

I bought a John Deere 4310 compact utility Tractor . The battery lasted 3 years ant I know it was an Exide battery because I had to clean the battery terminals at each servicing. One of the Exide problems.

Walmart batteries are my choice because they give you a 3 year 100% replacement and if on a trip there are Walmarts everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back