Need new all seasons for minivan, is there a noticeable difference between H and V rated Crossclimate 2?

I bought a FWD minivan that the previous owner put Goodyear Comfortreads on. Despite still having 7/32 left traction is pretty bad in the rain and not particularly good on dry roads either. Not a very comfortable ride either, rubber seems hard and possibly has flat spots for the first 5-10 miles after the vehicle has been sitting for more than a few hours.

I’m looking for a tire with very good dry and wet traction, and at least decent snow traction as driving in a few inches of snow may sometimes be unavoidable. Probably going with the Crossclimate 2, but not sure if should go with the H or V rated. Most tests/long term reviews I found used the V rated and often describe the ride as being on the firm side. I was leaning towards the H rated to maybe get a slightly softer ride and longer treadwear. However most of the retailers around here are out of the H rated so it worked out that I found a significantly better deal on the V rated. Is there a noticeable difference in ride comfort and handling or am I overthinking it?

I also looked at the Crosscontact LX25 but sounds like the sidewalls may be a bit softer than I’d like.

I don't have personal experience with this, but most internet sites have the same information as this one: https://tirehungry.com/speed-rating-v-vs-h/

They all say that for everyday, non performance driving the H will be more comfortable, will last longer, and give slightly better 4 season performance. The H tires are probably more in demand, thus the supply issues you are encountering.

I bought a FWD minivan that the previous owner put Goodyear Comfortreads on. Despite still having 7/32 left traction is pretty bad in the rain and not particularly good on dry roads either. Not a very comfortable ride either, rubber seems hard and possibly has flat spots for the first 5-10 miles after the vehicle has been sitting for more than a few hours.

I’m looking for a tire with very good dry and wet traction, and at least decent snow traction as driving in a few inches of snow may sometimes be unavoidable. Probably going with the Crossclimate 2, but not sure if should go with the H or V rated. Most tests/long term reviews I found used the V rated and often describe the ride as being on the firm side. I was leaning towards the H rated to maybe get a slightly softer ride and longer treadwear. However most of the retailers around here are out of the H rated so it worked out that I found a significantly better deal on the V rated. Is there a noticeable difference in ride comfort and handling or am I overthinking it?

I also looked at the Crosscontact LX25 but sounds like the sidewalls may be a bit softer than I’d like.

I tend to sound rude but it's a good thing because I'm a realist.

Sounds like you want the prefect tire. No such tire exist. There are people that simply don't have any issues with anything about the tires on their vehicle. Let someone else drive it and they may beg to differ. Don't overthink things too much. You shouldn't be disappointed with the Michelins in the snow being an all-weather tire. If there is a significantly better deal on the V rated Michelins, go for it and enjoy the extra bit of steering response.

Typically the slower speed rated tires have a deeper tread and may weigh more.
I'm not driving 130mph in the winter, so I don't worry about the speed rating as much as performance on ice and snow.

Last edited:
Welcome! I have the V rated version on my wife's CX5. They are very quiet and comfortable and I think would be a good match for your minivan. To be honest I didn't check the speed rating before purchasing from TR.

I don't think there will be a big difference unless you are changing sizes. I would go on Tirerack and look at the weights of the tires. That will tell you all you need to know.

Welcome! I have the V rated version on my wife's CX5. They are very quiet and comfortable and I think would be a good match for your minivan. To be honest I didn't check the speed rating before purchasing from TR.
How are they on rough roads? The roads around here are pretty bad so I don’t want tires that are really firm, but this is my first time choosing tires for a minivan and I’m a bit concerned about the extra weight. Most of the tests/reviews used a crossover or sedan which is what the tires were designed for, I’m concerned that a tire that feels firm on a smaller crossover might feel more like a soft sidewall with the extra weight of a minivan.

V-rated version on a MB E350 still measures 9.0-9.5/32" on all 4 corners despite only two rotations in 22K miles.

In my experience, the higher the speed rating (like V is higher than H), the tire will wear out faster.
What kind of minivan are we talking about?
I read here for Sienna, we need to put higher pressure than recommended.

In my experience, the higher the speed rating (like V is higher than H), the tire will wear out faster.
What kind of minivan are we talking about?
I read here for Sienna, we need to put higher pressure than recommended.
A Sedona. I haven’t really read of them having abnormal tire wear issues but it could be a problem for most/all minivans I suppose. The current tires have a date code from 4 years ago and still have a lot of tread, I didn’t notice any unusual wear. Though the previous owner only drove it around 8,000 miles a year.

How are they on rough roads? The roads around here are pretty bad so I don’t want tires that are really firm, but this is my first time choosing tires for a minivan and I’m a bit concerned about the extra weight. Most of the tests/reviews used a crossover or sedan which is what the tires were designed for, I’m concerned that a tire that feels firm on a smaller crossover might feel more like a soft sidewall with the extra weight of a minivan.
Sorry, can't help you there. We don't really drive on any rough roads.

Back