need more tool chest space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a red Craftsman tool chest with the ball bearing full support drawers. I need more space. I currently have the normal top and bottom chests, all drawers. Do I go for a a middle chest or a side chest? I am concerned the middle chest might push some of the top drawers too high for me to see into.

I tried adding a 3-drawer middle chest to my old Craftsman top and bottom box combo, and I had exactly that same problem. It raised the top chest so high I could not see into it and it was difficult to reach tools in the top of the top chest or in the top 2 drawers. And I am 6"2" tall.

I returned the middle chest and later on I bought the Craftsman wider top and bottom combo, I think it is 38 inches wide and the bottom drawers are 22 inches on the bottom chest and 18 inches on the top chest. Even so, I would like to have a side cabinet on mine too. I could use the extra room.

I would say get the side chest. It will probably work out a lot better for you, and have mofres storage space too.

Side chest, I haven't run into a need for more tool space myself but I'm still hopeful.

I have the same dilemma. Looked at a tool chest at Sears yesterday with the intermediate chest installed and I could not see in the top opening or top-most drawers. At 6'-2", I would need a step-stool. I don't have enough room for a side chest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
I have the same dilemma. Looked at a tool chest at Sears yesterday with the intermediate chest installed and I could not see in the top opening or top-most drawers. At 6'-2", I would need a step-stool. I don't have enough room for a side chest.

How high is your current tool chest? (Measured to the top of the rim of the top opening with cover open.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back