Need lube advise for noisy washing machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick rundown of what I have. We bought a new LG washer back in January and it was quiet as a mouse for about two months, then started making a knocking/thumping sound any time the tub would change direction, whether during the fill/sensing cycle or agitating during the wash cycle. After investigating a bit I discovered that the noise was from where the tub hanger's plastic/nylon balls hang in their socket (see picture).

After dealing with LG customer service and getting the run around for weeks, I decided to try a shot of silicone in each socket which instantly stopped the noise. That only lasted about a dozen washes before the noise returned. Finally got LG to send out a repair guy (after another month) who ordered new hangers and some special waterproof grease. Three weeks later he returned, replaced the parts and all was quiet again.

A few weeks ago the noise returned so I sprayed the hangars with silicone and again they were quiet but only for a dozen or so washes. One making the noise isn't too bad but once two or three get going it's very annoying. So rather than continually keep spraying them, I want to find something that'll last. I thought about a dry-film graphite lube but before I take this apart to do anything I'd like to hear if any of you have another lube suggestion. Calling LG is no longer an option because I refuse to deal with those Idiots ever again. Thanks in advance.

lgwasher.jpg

I think Consumer Reports rates LG as the best washers.

Can you take it apart to properly grease it?

Two suggestions -

Spline grease sticks to surfaces pretty well as it has a tacky component.

Muscle Grease (brand name) sprays on like a liquid but sets up as grease.

I am not sure spraying on silicone spray will get enough lubricant where it need to be.

I feel for you. However, this problem isn’t going to go away. Will they give you a full refund and come get it?

Reactions: JC1
Is it possible to put some sort of rubber bushing maybe a garden hose washer (which may be too large due to tight clearances) or rubber o-rings or something in there to reduce the noise? I guess after time, the rubber will crack or split again.

I know these washers spin at a very high speed. You might not be able you get a permanent fix, unless you McGiver something yourself. Maybe the mechanics here know of some sort of automotive fix that would work for harsh vibrations.

I would keep at it with LG. Ask the next tech that comes out do other LG washers squeak? Did they change something for this model? Get some info out of him. Maybe they need to replace a bigger part.

I often write to the president of the company in the USA.

Reactions: JC1
Write a letter to LG. Address to Vice President of consumer affairs or similar title. List the problem and the issue it is causing. Polite but, firm is the way to address this problem. Ed

get some "Super Lube" Teflon grease from amazon. It wont hurt plastic/nylon. My guess is there is some stiction going on the ptfe will inhibit. That looks to be a plain ball and socket, clean it out first then apply liberally.

Thanks for the replies.

As far as dealing with LG again, I really don't have the patients at this point.

From your suggestions, I think I'll give the teflon grease a try first, and if it won't last any longer than the waterproof grease the Tech used I'll try something like JC1 suggested above, along with the teflon grease. I looked up suspension rods for washers and see that Whirlpool uses a thin plastic spacer between the ball and cup. The spacer has holes for grease to remain in which seems like a much better design.
cupwasher.jpg

All lubed and back to being quiet again, hopefully for good. On the advise of a local used appliance shop, I also lubed the lower ball/socket along with the end cap that rides up in the spring tube. Took me all of 25 minutes from start to finish, including putting away my tools. Had I dealt with LG again, I'm sure I'd still be on hold or getting the run-a-round again.

rod.jpg rod2.jpg

@funflyer - what grease did you end up using?
I'm having very similar issues with my washer.
Thanks in advance!

I apologize for the late reply. I ended up using Moly Graph and the washer hasn't made a peep since. This grease has a strong odor but that dissipated after a week or so.

Attachments

• grease.jpg
    grease.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back