Need help with Dell Vostro 1000 Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

Good day all,

I am trying to help my friend with his Dell Vostro 1000 laptop.

The problem started about a week ago. While you are using the laptop, the screen will go black all of a sudden and will stay that way unless you shutdown Windows and then boot it again.

I don't think the system is going to Stand By or Hibernation. I played a video while this happened and I can hear the video playing but nothing shows up on the screen.

The screen goes out after about 10 minutes when Vista starts.

Of course the warranty has already expired and I tried to search on Google for answers but could not find anything relevant to this problem.

No drivers have been updated so I am assuming it's not a driver problem.

Any insights on this problem? I am afraid that the screen is on it's way out.

TIA

Could be the inverter for the LCD going out. If you look VERY closely at the screen, can you still see what was on it?

it is vista, just update the firmware from dell and see if they have new graphics driver,
my hp has the same disease, I am planning on slamming on an xp install on it when I get time.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Could be the inverter for the LCD going out. If you look VERY closely at the screen, can you still see what was on it?

Screen goes completely dark.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
So did you go into the power setting and set it to never hibernate or sleep?

Yes changed the settings to NEVER and did the same thing.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
it is vista, just update the firmware from dell and see if they have new graphics driver,
my hp has the same disease, I am planning on slamming on an xp install on it when I get time.

Well I just discovered that once the screen goes out, I closed the lid and Vista goes into Sleep mode. After I open the lid up, the screen comes back on.

I did it 5 times now and the screen always came back. Now I will take your suggestion and see what happens. I might just install XP and get it over with.

Will report back.

Actually I was wrong, I can see what is on the screen but it's very very dark. You will need a flashlight to see what's on.

So it seems that the inverter is going.

Originally Posted By: SMB

Actually I was wrong, I can see what is on the screen but it's very very dark. You will need a flashlight to see what's on.

So it seems that the inverter is going.

My brother's Dell laptop did that, too. The backlight stopped working. He disassembled the screen and soldered some part.

The replacement was quite expensive.

Does the lappy have an external monitor connector? If so, then plug a monitor into it, and if it stays lit when the laptop screen goes dark, then you know it's the LCD inverter.

A friend once gave me his Toshiba for this exact problem. He had already bought another lappy. I found the replacement part online for about $60 and fixed the problem. The hardest part was removing the bezel around the LCD to get to the part.

Originally Posted By: lyle
Does the lappy have an external monitor connector? If so, then plug a monitor into it, and if it stays lit when the laptop screen goes dark, then you know it's the LCD inverter.

A friend once gave me his Toshiba for this exact problem. He had already bought another lappy. I found the replacement part online for about $60 and fixed the problem. The hardest part was removing the bezel around the LCD to get to the part.

I forgot to do that. Yes it has an external connector. I asked my friend to do what you said and report back to me tomorrow.

I already bought an inverter off ebay for $18 shipped.

Well my friend connected an external monitor to the laptop and when the LCD screen turned off (or became very dark) the external monitor worked as it should. It did not turn off.

I have the service manual for this laptop and will replace the inverter once it arrives.

I'll report back with the results.

Thank you all for your responses.

Figures
wink.gif
I've replaced numerous inverters in the last few months alone.

Figures
wink.gif

I might need your help OVERK1LL. This will be the first screen I will ever disassemble.

Originally Posted By: SMB
Figures
wink.gif

I might need your help OVERK1LL. This will be the first screen I will ever disassemble.

No prob, send me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail.

Well I just replaced the inverter and so far so good. I think we solved the problem.

I asked my friend to use his laptop all weekend and report back. Overall it was easy with the service manual in hand. Best part is that my friend paid $18 for a new inverter.

Thank you all again for your help and take care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back