Need help on an All-Season Performance Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the contenders:

Michelin Pilot Exalto all season ~$155-$179
Bridgestone Potenza G009 ~$132-145
Toyo Proxes 4 ~$105
Fuzion HRi ~$77

I know they are all great performance in dry and wet weather, so no problem here. In fact, I've owned G009s and loved them. But I have read reviews on others and they look like equal performers. So here are the things I need help on:

1. Snow/winter traction/safety.
2. Treadwear - will tread life offset huge price differences?
3. Weight. I don't like to carry much unsprung weight. The proxes 4s are 24lbs for 235/45/17s whereas the Fuzions are 26lbs. The others are 25lbs. How much difference will 2lbs per wheel really make in terms of mileage and performance?

Thanks

I did but eliminated them because they are heavy (26lbs) and don't come with a treadwear warranty to justify the high price. They are in the Exalto price category but Exaltos have a 50,000 mile tread warranty. The Proxes 4s and Fuzions don't have treadwear warranties either but their prices speak for themselves.

No treadwear warranty, right BUT...

The Goodyear Eagle F1 DSG3's are rated at 280. The Eagle F1 All Seasons are rated at 400. I will have 45,000 on my DSG3's at replacement, with approx 3/32 - 4/32 remaining. So, you may get more miles out of the All Season's than you would expect. Granted, you have to trust the treadwear grades that the mfg places on the tire but it was a factor in my decision to put them on my car when the time is right.

Sorry I couldn't help with your choices.

No problem. Thanks for the treadwear tip on the F1s. I will probably consider them if I can get a good price.

Also consider the Triple tread, Hydroedge and the new Goodyear Response edge. All have wear warranties, great light snow and wet road performance and very good performance characteristics.

What's with the concern over tread warranties? They are fairly worthless & are marketing speak. There has to be perfectly even tread wear & they will be prorated for your purchase on the same time or one they deem comparable. If you buy from Discount Tire or Tire Rack you may have better luck with cashing in; I don't know.

Just curious, what vehicle?

2007 Passat. I'm not expecting to cash in on the tread warranties, but I do take them as a signal about how long the tires are expected to last. I know it's not perfect, but it's not useless either.

Just a heads up.. My Proxy 4's kind of suck in snow.. And I have all wheel drive. Not bad in the rain. Have not had the Gooodyear F1 all seasons in the snow yet. They are on a RWD caddy, so I will find out quick if I will need snows.

I believe they are useless b/c they are based in marketing resulting in misleading causing the consumer to draw incorrect conclusions. The Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus (AA traction) had a 50k mile warranty but I got 30k miles. They were $60/each on Tire Rack. The Bridgestone Turanza LS-H (AA traction) I just purchased also have a 50k mile treadwear warranty but were $106/each at Tire Rack. Maybe it's more marketing for the pricing as well, I dunno. Just another opinion that you didn't ask for so I'll be quiet now.
smile.gif

In all honesty, it is extremely difficult to find a performance tire that is also good in snow/winter conditions. Generally, the better the summer performance, the worse the winter one. Longer treadwear may also come at the expense of worse summer performance. So, if you found a tire that does it all well (G009), I would just stick with it rather than experiment with something else.

Personally, if I was in Ohio, I'd run two dedicated sets of wheels/tires. I did that on my A4 quattro when I was living in NOVA area. But I do realize not everyone wants to deal with the swaps twice per year. If I had to have just one set of tires, I'd run Nokian WR all year long - at least I'd be covered in the winter, and in the summer... well as long as you don't drive like crazy, any tire will do.

Sorry, I'm probably following benjamming's steps and giving you another opinion that you did not ask for.
smile.gif

Quote:

Also consider the Triple tread, Hydroedge and the new Goodyear Response edge. All have wear warranties, great light snow and wet road performance and very good performance characteristics.

he said performance, and those are touring tires.

Quote:

The Goodyear Eagle F1 DSG3's are rated at 280. The Eagle F1 All Seasons are rated at 400. I will have 45,000 on my DSG3's at replacement, with approx 3/32 - 4/32 remaining. So, you may get more miles out of the All Season's than you would expect. Granted, you have to trust the treadwear grades that the mfg places on the tire but it was a factor in my decision to put them on my car when the time is right.

i think those traction ratings are only valid within a same manufacturer's lineup. quite possibly tire with higher traction rating (280) from one maker, will be worse performer than tire with lower rating (400) from another manufacturer.

Quote:

Quote:

i think those traction ratings are only valid within a same manufacturer's lineup. quite possibly tire with higher traction rating (280) from one maker, will be worse performer than tire with lower rating (400) from another manufacturer.

From your post, it appeared to me that you thought that I was comparing tires from two different mfgs.

Last edited:
Quote:

Here are the contenders:

Bridgestone Potenza G009 ~$132-145

I know they are all great performance in dry and wet weather, so no problem here. In fact, I've owned G009s and loved them.

Thanks

My dad got a set of these for his focus recently and LOVES them. Very good wet traction compares to the Pirelli's that came on it.

You already loved them why bother.

I wanted Eagle Response Edge. $pendy though. Conti Extremes for snow. Yoko H4S for handling and wear. G-009s are similar, I did not think mine good in snow, but H4S is definately not good in snow. Try the Contis, you won't regret.

Thanks for all your comments. I'm now seriously considering the option outlined by quattropete which is to have two sets of wheels. I can mount winter tires on my stock 215/55/16s and put Toyo Proxes 4s on my 17s. Remarkably, that wouldn't be much more expensive then buying a set of premium all season's like Exaltos. Plus, not having the alloys on in the winter will keep them looking fresh longer.

Any recommendations on good winter tires?

Multi sets allows you to run tires down much farther than being in a situation that you need to replace them for more seasonal tread.

I have the Hankook IceBears from DTD, supposed to be good, I have not used them, but prefer a HR snow, so I got them for the Accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back