Need help diagnosing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not very technical and if I tried to explain this to a service station, they'd probably think I'm nuts.
I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox. 1st oil change at 3000, then again at 8000. Switched to ASMOIL Series 2000 0W-30. Turned dark in color at less than 500 miles, which I know means nothing. But, when I check it, I also smell a strong "exhaust" odor on the dipstick. I changed the oil at 15500 and send in analysis. Everything is ok except the TBN is at 2.5 and I'm told to change it. I am now at 21000 and everything looks and smells the same. It smells bad, used. Tonight when my wife started the car and I got the initial blast of exhaust in my face, it smelled exaclty like the oil in the dipstick.
Sorry for the long descriptor, but am I getting exhaust into engine? Is this blow-by? It can't be normal. Is there a fix?
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Heath

maybe its the other way around- meaning the exhaust smells like the oil not the other way around. Maybe it's cuz im an oil junky- but you can blind fold me, use any of the 4 oils i use most often (valvoline, castrol, Mobil, Havoline)and i can just smell the exhaust and tell which one was used.

Sounds like you have a tiny oil leak leaking onto your enhaust at some point. Should be fairly easy for a mechanic to see. Usually a valve/cam cover gasket. You could also have an exhaust leak if you are smelling this stuff and not at the back of the car. Get is checked out as that is very dangerious.

That is a pretty low TBN. Could you have a bad EGR valve?

The oil can get beat up if the EGR is not working properly.

I just looked at Amsoil service bulletins. If things are OK nitration and oxidation should be close to equal. It says it could be the MAF or EGR if the nitration approaches double the
oxidation level.

I can't copy and paste the bulletin.

Might want to have the engine checked out no matter what.

PCV valve check, compression test and leakdown test, spark plug check for gap size and fouling, ignition coils. Try to get Chevy to pay for the tests under warranty. If all checks out good, I don't know what to tell you. Some engines are just born retarded due to a part (piston ring, valve seal, etc) being bad...I've owned one, an 02' Subaru 2.5 liter engine. It was an oil burner and gave bad gas mileage from day 1.

Post the analysis results and perhaps things will be clearer.

What particular engine are we talking about here?

thanks,

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back