Need desktop motherboard recommendation for Xeon E2136

Got a server that I no longer use, and it has no provisions for a graphics card or nvme drives. Would like to pull the CPU and place it into a desktop motherboard. Can anyone recommend a specific model.

Many people claim you cannot put Xeon processors into a desktop motherboard, but I have been doing it since the pentium II era with perfect sucess. My Asus Z87 pro is currently sporting a E3-1245 v3.

what kind of ram does it have?
if you are buying ram might as well just buy a new motherboard/processor/memory.

The cpumark for your e3-1245 v3 processor is about 7000.

That xeon is around 13400 cpumark

For 349 at microcenter around 34000 cpumark or 5x faster.

Intel Core i7-12700K, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3200 Kit, Computer Build Combo​

My gut feeling would be some AliExpress Chinese motherboard made with salvaged server chips. They are a good deal if you can get these CPUs for free and these older CPUs can be very fast vs newer desktop ones (but use more power), due to the wider DDR channels and more cores. Either go this route or buy a SuperMicro MB (expensive).

My gut feeling would be some AliExpress Chinese motherboard made with salvaged server chips. They are a good deal if you can get these CPUs for free and these older CPUs can be very fast vs newer desktop ones (but use more power), due to the wider DDR channels and more cores. Either go this route or buy a SuperMicro MB (expensive).
it would have to be very cheap as an i7-12700k that is 2.5x as fast with 16GB ram and a z690 motherboard for 349.
and the OP might need ram too or find a motherboard that supports that xeon and uses ECC(?) ram.

From what I am reading, sometime after the E3-12xx-V5 processors, intel is now locking out these CPU's in the intel management engine. Also the E-21xx and E-22xx require the C series chipsets. What a freakin joke. I always like running the Xeon cpus for better durability, cooling, and they are the best die cuts of silicone.

for what you are spending you can get a precision fixed workstation from dell refurbished with a xeon processer in it for about 400 bucks. A few years back I bought a fixed workstation and put dual Xeons in it, and 64gb ram, a 4 drive RAID array, and a M2 boot drive. The setup is not compatible with windows 11, and its growing a little long of tooth for myself, so i'll be building a new one starting with a newer precision chassis from dell refurbished.

1684076151808.jpg

Back