Need all season (but good for snow) tire recommendations

The Nordman Solstice is the cheapest all weather tire in that size on Simple Tire ($197). DT sells the Nokian WR G4 in that size for $230, so there is some cost savings going with the Solstice over the WR G4 if initial purchase price is a concern.
Need to make sure you calculate the install, possible road hazard etc. DT lists "+install costs added in cart". Some places include that or have deals. DT has the "found it lower?" They might match the 10-20% off listed at simpletire for giving email address. Mavis lists "Installation Center Overhead and Stocking Fee" on top of the $20 install fees.

DT in Idaho in cart- per tire - $24 install, $3 disposal of old, $32.13 if you want the road hazard. No clue on taxes. That's not a small chunk. $1157 if you want 4 WRG4 with road hazard installed.

Bridgestone WeatherPeak at Costco Boise = with current sale $806 installed for all 4 until 8-28-22 which includes the road hazard. Never tried them but they are at least 3PMSF with lots of siping and a 70k warranty. The CC2 is $1020 currently but will probably be on sale for $150 off next month.

You could also ask at Costco- on TR under warranty for WeatherPeak - Manufacturer Special Warranty: 90 Day Buy & Try Guarantee (1)
Additional Information: (1) Purchase four or more, full refund or exchange. So If it snows by then and you don't like them you might be able to get refund and go to the CC2.

Last edited:
I have Michelin CC2 in 235/55r20... I'm reserving judgement until after this winter... as after 20,000 miles on them, I have my doubts about how effective they will be in the 2nd winter season.

Are you noticing a performance loss, or just have doubts?

Obviously the CC2 when new has become the all-around performance king if you must use one tire for 4 seasons. But I think the jury is out on how they will perform with time and miles. If that is a concern to the OP, I would second the suggestions for the Defender LTX. I ran the the LTX M/S and LTX M/S2 on my Dakota for years because the snow performance was so much better than the random all-terrains I had used prior. They also ride nice and last forever.

Are you noticing a performance loss, or just have doubts?

Obviously the CC2 when new has become the all-around performance king if you must use one tire for 4 seasons. But I think the jury is out on how they will perform with time and miles. If that is a concern to the OP, I would second the suggestions for the Defender LTX. I ran the the LTX M/S and LTX M/S2 on my Dakota for years because the snow performance was so much better than the random all-terrains I had used prior. They also ride nice and last forever.
I have, in the dry, no less

And I’m the only it seems to be taking picture as it wears and commenting on performance

C9FE2C83-56A5-409C-AAFD-2434ABAC291E.jpeg

You might say it looks a lot more like the original CrossClimate now

Trav- someone I know has these and likes them, good experience so far. When I look on TR, DT it does not show the 235-55-20 as an option. Maybe just current supply issues? I tried the Toyo website directly and it doesn't list them as being an option either. The Celsius Sport, yes, but not the Celsius CUV? The Walmart link doesn't have a purchase option for me just "show nearby availability" but none show.

Your thoughts on the Celsius "Sport" if he was looking at that? My experience was with Continental CrossContact LX Sport and Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS. They were both good dry and wet, wore out fast, total safety hazards in the snow, like plastic sled or saucer on a snowy hill bad. For me if winter/snow is a possibility and need reliable traction, anything tire that says sport is not.

The Celsius Sport replaces the original Celsius :)

My WRG2 were really good until about 4/32". I don't recall the years and mileage at that point. Then we had a heavy rain and I hydroplaned a full lane doing 50 mph. Luckily no one else going my direction on 3 lane highway. The next day it was a very fine snow that packed to ice. I think maybe only second time in my life I was white knuckle, doing 25mph in the one semi clear lane back from traffic so I could stop if needed. New snows came next day.

Most snow tires are only good to 5/32 and often have separate wear bars at that level indicating the snow performance isn't as good anymore. Some people ride out the final few 32nds for a summer.

The Celsius Sport replaces the original Celsius :)

Most snow tires are only good to 5/32 and often have separate wear bars at that level indicating the snow performance isn't as good anymore. Some people ride out the final few 32nds for a summer.
Celsius still shows as a current model available as well as the sport on Toyo website, just not in OP's size.

All the snows I have actually have the snow wear bar at about 6/32". I was doing the ride out thing knowing I was getting new snows for that winter. Just a bit off on the timing for when I needed them :oops:. The Blizzaks lose their multicell at 6/32" also.

In which way they lost performance?
I have a thread on it already. But to rehash it….

Launching my Uber powerful hybrid from a stop…. Easily breaks traction in Normal and Sport modes off the line when I’m going balls to the wall

Taking an on-ramp a little fast, loses cornering traction where VSC is taking over

This is in the dry, unlike driving in the wet with Kumho’s

I have a thread on it already. But to rehash it….

Launching my Uber powerful hybrid from a stop…. Easily breaks traction in Normal and Sport modes off the line when I’m going balls to the wall

Taking an on-ramp a little fast, loses cornering traction where VSC is taking over

This is in the dry, unlike driving in the wet with Kumho’s
Do front wheels break traction? My Sienna would do that with any tire. Compliments of uber crappy AWD.

Again, ESP would engage any time I would push Sienna a bit faster through corners, be it Bridgestone DriveGuards or Michelin Xi2.

I mean, I am not a big fan of these "ALL" tires, but I found that Toyota will fire ESP if you think to go through a corner fast without actually executing it.

Also, maybe they are getting softer? Softer compound to mitigate loss of depth. Breaking traction in dry is very easy with such compound. You know that.
Also, HL hybrid packs somehow 100lbs more than hybrid Sienna. Not most dynamic curve carver.

The Nordman Solstice (made by Nokian, same tire as the WR G3) is available in this size and are a great option if you’re looking for a lower cost all weather tire. I have them on my Chrysler Town and Country and am pleased with them.
No clue on winter performance yet but just got these daughters Acura ILX and they are nice quiet tires in summer.

I have Michelin CrossClimate2 on a 2015 Pilot and not a complaint about them in winter or summer. I drive in really bad weather to ski occasionally thru sleet, ice and snow and these did well.

Bridgestone just came out with the Weatherpeak tires. They are supposed to be a competitor to the Michelin CrossClimates. I got a set on my Camry a couple months ago. They seem fine. I got them mainly for rain performance and the occasional light snow we get here. Gt them at Discount Tire. They were a lot cheaper than the Michelins as DT matched Costco's sale price.

Do front wheels break traction? My Sienna would do that with any tire. Compliments of uber crappy AWD.

Again, ESP would engage any time I would push Sienna a bit faster through corners, be it Bridgestone DriveGuards or Michelin Xi2.

I mean, I am not a big fan of these "ALL" tires, but I found that Toyota will fire ESP if you think to go through a corner fast without actually executing it.
When it was new It didn’t have these issues. Likewise the Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S

Let’s see if I need chains this year or not since they siping is different underneath the top few thousands of an inch

Yes, rotated every 5000 miles

With FWD cars you go in slow and accelerate out of the turns

When it was new It didn’t have these issues. Likewise the Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S

Let’s see if I need chains this year or not since they siping is different underneath the top few thousands of an inch

Yes, rotated every 5000 miles

With FWD cars you go in slow and accelerate out of the turns
I had AWD. Their ESP is designed to dumb down any dynamic. I get why they are doing it, but if one wants to purposely do something, it is impossible. I couldn’t slide in curve on snow even though I turned it off. It kicks in in first sign of slide.

I think Michelin is progressively getting softer to keep braking performance in slick conditions. In the end, that is the most important variable.

I had AWD. Their ESP is designed to dumb down any dynamic. I get why they are doing it, but if one wants to purposely do something, it is impossible. I couldn’t slide in curve on snow even though I turned it off. It kicks in in first sign of slide.

I think Michelin is progressively getting softer to keep braking performance in slick conditions. In the end, that is the most important variable.
The easiest way to get a slight slide is switching to a thicker brake fluid. So in German cars where DOT 4-class 6 (low viscosity) is required, put in regular DOT4 in. The stability control will react slower so you can get the tail out slightly before ESP catches up. In the snow, of course and purposely doing it

Driving back from the slopes, I rather have the ESP correct ASAP

The easiest way to get a slight slide is switching to a thicker brake fluid. So in German cars where DOT 4-class 6 (low viscosity) is required, put in regular DOT4 in. The stability control will react slower so you can get the tail out slightly before ESP catches up. In the snow, of course and purposely doing it

Driving back from the slopes, I rather have the ESP correct ASAP
Yeah I use regular fluid in all my cars, and Toyota (ATE TYP200) it is not working that way. I am not sure why people think there would be some dramatic difference.
Snow, ice, there is no difference. I use strictly TYP200 as I use that on track and buy in bulk.
As I said, I get why they are doing it. Average Toyota minivan or Highlander driver won’t slide its car purposely. So, if tires lose traction just a bit, ESP will react. CC2+ will be worse in warm weather. You know this. Better snow traction, worse dry traction. They can try to sell whatever “ALL” tire they want, you can’t get around that fact.

Yeah I use regular fluid in all my cars, and Toyota (ATE TYP200) it is not working that way. I am not sure why people think there would be some dramatic difference.
Snow, ice, there is no difference. I use strictly TYP200 as I use that on track and buy in bulk.
As I said, I get why they are doing it. Average Toyota minivan or Highlander driver won’t slide its car purposely. So, if tires lose traction just a bit, ESP will react. CC2+ will be worse in warm weather. You know this. Better snow traction, worse dry traction. They can try to sell whatever “ALL” tire they want, you can’t get around that fact.
The bloke behind Tyre Reviews channel on YouTube calls the CC’s summer focused all-season (weather) because it has long tread blocks, which is more conducive to 3-season road grip than its competitors with “knobbier” blocks. Even if you give the CC2 the tread compound of the Xice Snow, it would be better on plowed snow and ice, but can’t overcome fresh Sierra cement

The CC2 doesn’t do well in fresh Sierra cement because of the long tread blocks. Nitro Sn2 and Nokian WR g4 SUV works a lot better in fresh Sierra cement due to more definitive tread block design. But sacrifices in non-snow grip, especially the Nittos

The bloke behind Tyre Reviews channel on YouTube calls the CC’s summer focused all-season (weather) because it has long tread blocks, which is more conducive to 3-season road grip than its competitors with “knobbier” blocks. Even if you give the CC2 the tread compound of the Xice Snow, it would be better on plowed snow and ice, but can’t overcome fresh Sierra cement

The CC2 doesn’t do well in fresh Sierra cement because of the long tread blocks. Nitro Sn2 and Nokian WR g4 SUV works a lot better in fresh Sierra cement due to more definitive tread block design. But sacrifices in non-snow grip, especially the Nittos
Each tire does better or worse in certain types of snow.
Either way, CC2+ is compromise, but IMO better than rest of tires.
Nokian junk can’t go into same sentence with Michelin. I had three sets, each time thinking they got better. They are Liqui Moly of tire world.

I would buy a set of wheels(or even takeoffs) with some winter tires. you can order them in a smaller wheel size to save some $$$

you then have 6 months to save up for some new tires on the stock wheels.

Seems to me you likely need full on winter tires if you cant get up your drive.

You might not be able to "afford them" but if it saves one accident they paid for themselves.

For all weather I'd go nokian wrg4 suv.

Each tire does better or worse in certain types of snow.
Either way, CC2+ is compromise, but IMO better than rest of tires.
Nokian junk can’t go into same sentence with Michelin. I had three sets, each time thinking they got better. They are Liqui Moly of tire world.
I rather get the Nokian WR G4 SUV again after the CC2 survives its second winter season

Back