Need all season (but good for snow) tire recommendations

The Nordman Solstice (made by Nokian, same tire as the WR G3) is available in this size and are a great option if you’re looking for a lower cost all weather tire. I have them on my Chrysler Town and Country and am pleased with them.
Not in the assymetric tread pattern you have. It would be in the SUV-specific directional tread pattern.

When it comes time to dump the Michelin CC2's in reserve them for 3-season duty, I may get the Outpost APT.

I would say based off of everything I have read, the Michelin CC2 would be good. Based off of experience, the Michelin Defender LTX M/S worked well for my wife in her CR-V.

I live in a similar climate in CO. My go to is the Michelin CC2 and if you have a Discount Tire store that you like the Nokian Encompass AW01 are great too!

I live in a similar climate in CO. My go to is the Michelin CC2 and if you have a Discount Tire store that you like the Nokian Encompass AW01 are great too!
Encompass AW01 not available in 235/55r20.

I think someone on BITOG has experience with the General Altimax 365AW.

I went with Firestone Weathergrip, excellent tire. Was also looking at General Alimax 365. Had the Goodyear Weatherready also a good tire. I think any of the all-weather tires would be good.

Vredestein and Nokian make some of the best all weather tires on the market. As good in deep snow as dedicated snow tires? Perhaps not as good as Blizzaks, but better than many of the inferior snow tires on the market, and a very good choice.

I just put a set of Nokian WRG4 on the Volvo XC. We might see one snow fall a year in VB. True winter/snow tires make little sense there.

For my Colorado car (and for the cars in Utah and Vermont) - four snows on dedicated wheels.

2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum, tire size is 235/55/20.

Current tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde's, and they're getting pretty close to the wear bars and will need replaced before the upcoming brutal Idaho winter.

Due to my financial situation I cannot afford a second set of wheels to put snow tires on and swap every year so I need recommendations for tires that I can drive on year-round, but will also be able to get me out of my super steep driveway when it's below freezing.

For example, this winter with my Pirellis was so bad, that even after shoveling my driveway and putting down salt, my Pathfinder in 4WD could NOT get out of the driveway and onto the street and I had to call off work. My neighborhood is so steep and has so many switchbacks that a lot of people park at the bottom of the hill then walk up to their houses because their cars can't make it.
My vote and what I'd get after the same Pirelli's on the Tiguan go out if we keep it.

The Toyo Celsius are wearing great with a smooth, quiet and comfortable ride in summer and good snow grip.

Trav- someone I know has these and likes them, good experience so far. When I look on TR, DT it does not show the 235-55-20 as an option. Maybe just current supply issues? I tried the Toyo website directly and it doesn't list them as being an option either. The Celsius Sport, yes, but not the Celsius CUV? The Walmart link doesn't have a purchase option for me just "show nearby availability" but none show.

Your thoughts on the Celsius "Sport" if he was looking at that? My experience was with Continental CrossContact LX Sport and Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS. They were both good dry and wet, wore out fast, total safety hazards in the snow, like plastic sled or saucer on a snowy hill bad. For me if winter/snow is a possibility and need reliable traction, anything tire that says sport is not.

Trav- someone I know has these and likes them, good experience so far. When I look on TR, DT it does not show the 235-55-20 as an option. Maybe just current supply issues? I tried the Toyo website directly and it doesn't list them as being an option either. The Celsius Sport, yes, but not the Celsius CUV? The Walmart link doesn't have a purchase option for me just "show nearby availability" but none show.

Your thoughts on the Celsius "Sport" if he was looking at that? My experience was with Continental CrossContact LX Sport and Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS. They were both good dry and wet, wore out fast, total safety hazards in the snow, like plastic sled or saucer on a snowy hill bad. For me if winter/snow is a possibility and need reliable traction, anything tire that says sport is not.
Try driving in the snow on 3 season tires. I learned the hard way when I bought my S4 22 years ago. It came with Michelin SX MXX3 something or other. I didn't know any better at the time and thought the AWD would save me. I was wrong. I made it home but couldn't get up my driveway. Everytime I started to go up it started to slide back down. I would hit the brakes to slow down before turning into the driveway and slide 30 feet forward. The tires were like plastic as you say. More times than not I was going down my driveway and slid right into the street and somehow I didn't hit any cars. It was a miracle. Then, I got Blizzaks and I was enlightened!

Celsius Sport was just recently introduced. So I doubt anyone in the Northern Hemisphere has actual experience with them in the snow yet

@cwilliamsws6,
A lot of good choices listed for you to research.

Make sure you check Costco, BJ's, Sam's, DT, TR and others for the full price. Mail order you still need to get them mounted somewhere local for about $25 per tire. TR has "recommended shops". Call or stop by and ask also for current or upcoming sales. Some do extra discounts around holiday's (labor day very soon, Black Friday further out). When I was looking to get Pirelli P7 for my Accord, Sam's had best price including mounting. I went to order and the guy told me to come back in 2 days and order them. They were doing an extra sale that knocked off like $25 per tire and then included mount/balance/road hazard. Deal was true and I then also bought 4 Pirelli for my daughters CRV (all my cars run true winter so snow was not a concern). Couldn't pass up the extra deal for what I was planning to get anyway.

Coworker got the CC2 for her CrossTrek on July 4th weekend. Costco had a 1 day extra sale/discount like that with the 1 cent mounting and the $150 off set of 4.

I don't know if TR vs. DTD is the same since DT bought TR. When bought from both, TR included the road hazard in their advertised price. DTD was I think $10 for each tire for the road hazard and would list it as separate on the receipt.

I know Costco alternates between Michelin and Bridgestone almost monthly on "deals/sales". I don't know if mentioned but the Bridgestone WeatherPeak come in your size also.

When I had called DTD for some tires a week before the black friday deals to ask questions, the sales guy said he could give me that extra deal now as it helped them avoid the rush. Just something to consider. You might save a good chunk overall.

Last edited:
If you are serious about driving on snow and ice you want this emblem.
F025A83B-466D-42F9-8AAA-F39FB6C41DC3.png

Last edited:
Considering your financial situation, go Michelin CC2+. You will DEFINITELY find cheaper tires, but they won't hold initial performance as Michelin does.
If you really cannot swing that money, BF Goodrich Advantage Sport T/A is very good in snow.

When you search consider lower model like SV that takes 235-65-18. Wheel-Size.com you can put information in and then search for match or close match. yours is 7.5J x 20 ET50, 5 x 114.3, 66.1 CB. Many Hyundai/Kia have the same but with a 67.1 CB that will fit since it is 1mm larger. If you drop to 18" than there are more vehicle choices. I have gotten some good deals for rims/tires as people traded or sold vehicles. Also check the pathfinder or infiniti forums in the classifieds sections. 2 years ago I got factory 17" alloys with wheel sensors for $150 from forum for my daughters CRV. Needed tires. Smaller rims might = the same with the reduced cost for 18" tires vs 20". I got 1/2 price Blizzaks, less than 1 year old and 5k miles with original receipt details because the guy was moving south.
Not only will the entry level rims be cheaper but having more sidewall is great for snow handling-- helps the tire clear snow. Low profile tires as a rule are terrible in winter weather. More sidewall is also more pothole protection.

You have a super common bolt pattern, look around on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I just got a full mounted set of Mazda 6 rims with 9/32" snows for $50 for all four that will fit my Camry.

It's hard reading that someone got the *Platinum* edition SUV but can't afford tires. Be creative and get the most safety for your buck.

Discount Tire Direct is coming up on some Labor day sales on rubber.

Considering your financial situation, go Michelin CC2+. You will DEFINITELY find cheaper tires, but they won't hold initial performance as Michelin does.
If you really cannot swing that money, BF Goodrich Advantage Sport T/A is very good in snow.
The cc2 after 20,000 miles disagrees

The Nordman Solstice (made by Nokian, same tire as the WR G3) is available in this size and are a great option if you’re looking for a lower cost all weather tire. I have them on my Chrysler Town and Country and am pleased with them.
The Nordman Solstice is the cheapest all weather tire in that size on Simple Tire ($197). DT sells the Nokian WR G4 in that size for $230, so there is some cost savings going with the Solstice over the WR G4 if initial purchase price is a concern.

It's hard reading that someone got the *Platinum* edition SUV but can't afford tires. Be creative and get the most safety for your buck.
I don't fault anyone for any changes in financial status especially with today's economy. Mine has changed multiple times, 2 kids now in college, job changes etc.

The "platinum" edition is 8 years old, maybe it was bought new then, maybe used more recently. A lot changes in that time. Definitely maximize safety.

I loved my Nokian's. When I needed some new snows I read all the reviews with many links from here at BITOG. I wanted new Nokians but others tested better in some conditions. I was able to get 4 VikingContact 7, craigslist rims, new wheel sensors from TR, installed locally and had enough left to buy lunch.

Still love Nokian, will recommend no issue especially as a one choice all-weather.

What's worse getting a used set of something with good tread that are not out of date, maybe a "house" or off brand or sticking with bologna skins and not getting more new expensive ones because you can't afford them and don't want to compromise?

I do not want to know how others then do in that "All" weather category.
My WRG2 were really good until about 4/32". I don't recall the years and mileage at that point. Then we had a heavy rain and I hydroplaned a full lane doing 50 mph. Luckily no one else going my direction on 3 lane highway. The next day it was a very fine snow that packed to ice. I think maybe only second time in my life I was white knuckle, doing 25mph in the one semi clear lane back from traffic so I could stop if needed. New snows came next day.

Back