Need affordable local oil recommendation

Hello, I have an old allmand brothers 425 TSB. The manual says use a “ high quality multipurpose” sae20/iso68/gl-4 and that it was filled with hydroclear 9836 at the factory. I can’t find that but I came up with Mobil delvac tractor hydraulic fluid. It’s gl-4 and is 55 cS at 40c so it’s like iso55 and it’s somewhat local and affordable.
any better ideas? Phillips66 makes powerTran its gl-4 but 10w-30 and I don’t think it’s around here.
thanks
Andrew

you should be able to find an ISO68 at a local farm store like TSC or such. Anything like that in your area? Worse case your local equipment dealer (CAT, CNH, Deere etc) would be able to source you an appropriate oil.

There is info on the main page as well about viscosity. Based on the chart the SAE 20 does overlap the IOS68 but SAE 20 has a wide range. https://bobistheoilguy.com/putting-the-simple-back-into-viscosity/

just my $0.02

Yes it’s iso 68, but also needs to be gl-4 or higher. I think I found one that’s affordable at TSB it’s vp racing ultra j20a plus utility tractor fluid. Just waiting to find out if it’s also gl-4.

John Deere Hy-Gard
Chevron 1000 THF
Mobilfluid 424
Shell Rotella HD Tractor Fluid available @ TSC

John Deere Hy-Gard (different link with more info - au)
AE0587F0-DFD8-4406-97B7-675EAB3553EF.jpeg

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better fluid that is more readily available than John Deere Hy-Gard. You have to be careful with hydraulic fluids, there isn’t much regulation or testing being done in the THF market and there are some really, really bad hydraulic oils on the market. Stay with a well known name brand. A lot of cheaper brands of hydraulic fluids claim to meet specs that they do not.

PQIA study on THF
4BE56547-764F-4F81-8120-11910A14F3C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, went with the shell Rotella HD tractor fluid from TSC. Definitely avoided if the list included 303. The Rotella will be in the iso range, and is gl-4. It’s amazing to me looking into oils how the specs are not on containers, just listed machines, and the so called “tech” assistance lines know nothing technical, and at best can read back what’s written on the container. Frustrating.

Thanks for the help, went with the shell Rotella HD tractor fluid from TSC. Definitely avoided if the list included 303. The Rotella will be in the iso range, and is gl-4. It’s amazing to me looking into oils how the specs are not on containers, just listed machines, and the so called “tech” assistance lines know nothing technical, and at best can read back what’s written on the container. Frustrating
I have used this fluid as well a the Delvac Tractor fluid, both worked fine, Tractor it went in Specd Mobil 424 fluid

I use special tractor oil for hydraulics and transmissions with GL4 spec Texaco UTTO 1000 10w30.

Back