Need a Gun Recommendation

I bought a Sig P365 for my wife and it was too heavy and the recoil was punishing. My wife is less than five feet tall and we want
a caliber to carry and have a little stopping power. How is the Ruger LC in .380? Thank you

How is the Ruger LC in .380?
I think you mean the Ruger LCP?

I have one and carry it often. It's a small light package that's easy to conceal. However, because of the very light weight, even the .380 Auto has stout recoil.

Take your wife to the range and let her shoot one of these small and light .380s, she'll tell you what she thinks.

Have her shoot a lot of different pistols including .22's. I know, limited stopping power but, small, can be carried in fitted clothes, light and very easy to handle, limited recoil eases follow on shots and any gun is better than none if, unfortunately and I hope she neve does, someone needs one...

My Uncle, who I miss dearly, was a USAF Security Vietnam Vet, and his retirement business was a firearms store. He carried the usual, but he specialized in estate buys, English shotguns and niche things. Inevitably he would get the 'best gun' question. His answer was always; '..whatever you think you can assuredly draw and accurately fire, more than once, unexpectedly in the worst possible situation like arms full of groceries in a parking garage stairwell..'. That always stuck with me.

A lot of small pistols are straight blow back... it makes for significant recoil. I agree take her some where and rent a few... Mustang Pocketlite is a good choice if you can find one... Defender in 9mm with standard loads might work out.

Beretta 84 or 85 or the Browning equivalent if you can find one...

Walther ppk in LR?

If you’re looking for a concealed carry 9mm, that has significantly less recoil, give a Walther CCP a try. It manages recoil using a gas piston, and a much lighter spring than typical.

The Walther CCP has significantly less recoil than anything in its class. It is also very easy to rack the slide because of that much lighter spring.

I don’t care for the trigger, but I’m not the owner/shooter.

My wife really likes hers.

Walther not mentioned often enough.... I like the ol' PPS and I guess they sell it now as an PPS M2.

One can lesson recoil with different types of ammo.

If she likes the P365, try more tame ammo, lesser weight bullets.....

Friend of mine, very experienced shooter bought a Ruger LCP last summer. We both tried it out, and both of us ended up feeling is if our trigger finger had been stung. Apparently the trigger reset is a bit snappy on his gun.

I recommend a Smith and Wesson 351C .22 mag 7-shot revolver. Easy to learn and hard to forget.
I was going to say an airweight 38 revolver with some mild loads. My wife is extremely recoil sensitive and I ended up with a snub nosed S&W 64 for her which is to heavy to put in a purse, but good for car and she can manage recoil.

I bought a Sig P365 for my wife and it was too heavy and the recoil was punishing. My wife is less than five feet tall and we want
a caliber to carry and have a little stopping power. How is the Ruger LC in .380? Thank you
Smaller lighter guns are easier to carry but have a punishing penalty on recoil. There's no free lunch with physics.
I have a Keltec PT380, which Ruger cloned for the .380 LCR. It is very unpleasant to shoot so your wife probably will hate it and not shoot or train with it.

We get into striker vs. hammer, caliber, etc. But if ok with striker, my small carry guns that I can recommend, is a Walther PPS (gen 1 or 2) or Smith & Wesson Shield, both in 9mm. Pleasant to shoot, capable calibers, very reliable and affordable.

But then again if a Sig 365xl is too much recoil, then perhaps entirely different recommendations are needed.

If recoil needs mitigating a larger heavier gun is needed, and lower caliber. For instance a .22LR revolver might work.
But there's a balance, caliber vs. weight vs. recoil...

Back