Need a good diesel oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a diesel motor with a flat tappet cam. I just rebuilt the motor and wanted to start using a diesel oil that is not only really good but readily available at any autopart store or walmart. Right now, my motor is breaking in with Rotella T 15w-40. I have heard that the zinc levels in this oil have been lowered, and have also heard they took it all out. I will eventually use synthetic oil in my motor at about 10,000 miles. I just wanted to know what was out there because I know that a lot of the diesel oil specs have changed. I need something really robust and with zinc because of my cam, right now conventional then with some synthetic later. Thanks

If money is no concern, I think the Rotella T6 5w40 is the best diesel oil out there, if you having good results, there is nothing wrong with the Rotella 15w40. I dont know anything about the Zinc levels of it, but I wouldnt be concerned either, they are not going to put out a inferior product. I am sure it would have another additive that would still meet any manufacturers warranty requirements. Although if Johnny said it still contains Zinc, then I would think there is a 99.9% chance it still does.

Not a fan of Mobil but China-Mart has the 1300 Super 15W40 for $9.50 gallon. Don't get much cheaper than that. There's not enough difference in your off-the-shelf oils from China Mart to argue over. Buy the one on sale.

Originally Posted By: ffgb
I have a diesel motor with a flat tappet cam.
what engine? Detroit V16 2 stroke with Turbosupercharged? Straight 30 Delo.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Na, how about an EMD 710 series v16 4300HP 2 stroke :)

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Na, how about an EMD 710 series v16 4300HP 2 stroke :)

If it has silver bearings you're using the wrong oil.

Thank You for the suggestions. The motor that I have is an older vw diesel with a flat tappet cam. I totally rebuilt the motor with new/balanced parts. The clearances are small, especially the piston to cylinder wall clearance, it is at .0012 inches. I also have a modded injection pump. So I plan to spin the motor higher than stock, that's why I wanted to use a good diesel oil, both conventional now then synthetic in the future. I will stick with the Rotella 15w-40 now then switch later to T6 5w-40. Thank You

P.S. I didn't see anyone here suggest the T5 10w-30 Rotella

The T5 would work alright for your break in but I think the 15W-40 will do a better job for you considering what you are doing.

What kind of VW is it in?

The old Rabbit diesels ran on anything from straight 30 wt to 20W-50 based on the ambient temps. I lived in Texas at the time I owned my 82 Rabbit diesel and I always used Shell Rotella T 15W-40 as that is what my dealer used.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Not a fan of Mobil but China-Mart has the 1300 Super 15W40 for $9.50 gallon. Don't get much cheaper than that. There's not enough difference in your off-the-shelf oils from China Mart to argue over. Buy the one on sale.

http://images2.oreillyauto.com/uploads/stackable/Delvac.pdf

Buy 2 get 1 free

If your RPMs are up you'll have plenty of pressure even with 10w30, though the 15w40 will be no slouch either.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
710's have silver bearings?

I believe they do, but it would be best to check with EMD. Regular diesel oil like you would run in a big CAT, Cummins, or Mack will destroy silver bearings in the big locomotive and ship engines.

A little something I wrote about a few months back concerning railroad type oils.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index....0&Itemid=71
Apparently zinc will attack the silver bearing material in the EMD engines. Interesting article, I always wondered what kind of oil was used in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back