Need a good bench vise. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a decent bench vise for my home.

I saw one at OSH that looked decent. Made by Olympia, 5 inch "Heavy Duty" for $40.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: expat
Record 36
Sometimes considered the benchmark for Engineers vices.
$1000 can buy a lot of vises.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Go to Harbor Freight and get the biggest one you can carry...

hehe

I never realized vises could get so fancy. I would like something fairly heavy duty but want to keep the price around $100.

For $100, buy the biggest one you can get from Harbor Freight, Sears, Home Depot, or Lowes. Realize that ALL NEW $100 vises will be made in China, Taiwan, or India.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: expat
Record 36
Sometimes considered the benchmark for Engineers vices.
$1000 can buy a lot of vises.

How many do you need? ;-)

Well I would prefer not to buy a chinese made product but what's the bottom line?

How much do I need to spend to avoid a chinese product? I will spend a little more for US made stuff.

Well, that sorta ends it there. I think you would do better to hit a flea market that has some industrial stuff. The vises we had at work will run you a fortune compared to the current offerings at the most popular vendors.

I felt like I was in some Olympic power lifting competition when I moved one of the vises from the maintenance shop. It's funny how you take that stuff for granted.

I got a new Record in a clearance sale for half the price of the best Chinese ones.It's only 100mm (4in),but that's good enough for my home workshop.

I noted a squeaking u-joint on my son's F150. He asked how hard was the job. I said, "Easy enough with a vise. Two sockets and a vise will make it a piece of cake". His jaws didn't open as far as I thought and we had to use a hammer for a good bit of the process. Not a big complication, but if I wasn't wallet fat enough for a garage press, a wider jaw vise would come in handy for lessor jobs that fall into the gap of need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back