Nasty smell after accelerating

JTK

With you guys talking about an exhaust leak, I got to thinking...

The car was rear ended when it was 1 year old, and the left muffler had to be replaced since it was smooshed under the car. I wonder if something is loose somewhere else along the line. It's quiet though.

It's either that or like said, the cabin vents that will be covered by the bumper cover to the rear of the rear wheels. Vent flaps missing or wedged open somehow.

They're supposed to let air pressure out but not in.

01rangerxl

Site Donor 2021
Ahh...yep, the pressure vent JTK mentioned above is VERY suspect now. We sell a bunch of those on Kias with that kind of damage, enough they are kept in stock.

I've had this happen with my Mazda3 after some full throttle to redline driving after a long time of sort trips or putting around town. My theory is that if the car in question is often being driven like a grandma (or aunt in this case) and short tripped, and the engine is never used at it's full potential and the CATs are not getting hot enough, the sulfer smell/burning happens when at WOT. I think the cats get some sort of build up from the engine putting around for a long time and then you finally give the engine full throttle and heat up the CATs it must be burning some sort of residue out of the CATs.

I don't notice this anymore now that I do more highway miles on my Mazda3; I think the CATs are reaching operating temp for longer time and this isn't an issue anymore as they are working more efficiently.

In other words, give your car an "Italian Tune Up" every once in a while!

Cats smell like that when they're close to overheating. My guess is that a combination of light driving, and overfueling at WOT (which is apparently common) are simply getting the convertors really hot. I've noticed police cars doing this when they're running off somewhere.

With you guys talking about an exhaust leak, I got to thinking...

The car was rear ended when it was 1 year old, and the left muffler had to be replaced since it was smooshed under the car. I wonder if something is loose somewhere else along the line. It's quiet though.

View attachment 51514
Bingo, this possibly how the fumes are gaining access, if this car were mine I`d be carrying a monoxide detector. Also would expect at least a pre code to be set due to poor engine management.