Nasty smell after accelerating

With you guys talking about an exhaust leak, I got to thinking...

The car was rear ended when it was 1 year old, and the left muffler had to be replaced since it was smooshed under the car. I wonder if something is loose somewhere else along the line. It's quiet though.

It's either that or like said, the cabin vents that will be covered by the bumper cover to the rear of the rear wheels. Vent flaps missing or wedged open somehow.

They're supposed to let air pressure out but not in.

Ahh...yep, the pressure vent JTK mentioned above is VERY suspect now. We sell a bunch of those on Kias with that kind of damage, enough they are kept in stock.

Every Toyota I have ever been behind that was accelerating hard has the rotten egg smell - but you should not be smelling it inside the car.

I've had this happen with my Mazda3 after some full throttle to redline driving after a long time of sort trips or putting around town. My theory is that if the car in question is often being driven like a grandma (or aunt in this case) and short tripped, and the engine is never used at it's full potential and the CATs are not getting hot enough, the sulfer smell/burning happens when at WOT. I think the cats get some sort of build up from the engine putting around for a long time and then you finally give the engine full throttle and heat up the CATs it must be burning some sort of residue out of the CATs.

I don't notice this anymore now that I do more highway miles on my Mazda3; I think the CATs are reaching operating temp for longer time and this isn't an issue anymore as they are working more efficiently.

In other words, give your car an "Italian Tune Up" every once in a while!

Cats smell like that when they're close to overheating. My guess is that a combination of light driving, and overfueling at WOT (which is apparently common) are simply getting the convertors really hot. I've noticed police cars doing this when they're running off somewhere.

With you guys talking about an exhaust leak, I got to thinking...

The car was rear ended when it was 1 year old, and the left muffler had to be replaced since it was smooshed under the car. I wonder if something is loose somewhere else along the line. It's quiet though.

View attachment 51514
Bingo, this possibly how the fumes are gaining access, if this car were mine I`d be carrying a monoxide detector. Also would expect at least a pre code to be set due to poor engine management.

This is on my aunt's 16' Toyota Avalon, 66k miles. For 2-1/2 to 3 years it has made a nasty rotten egg sulfur smell after a hard acceleration. Nauseating, it gases you out and you've got to roll all the windows down for 5 minutes after to make it somewhat habitable. If you drive the car like an old lady, it's fine. Merging into the carpool lane, a fast highway on-ramp, or climbing the hills is what triggers it. 2-1/2 years ago we took it out of town to visit family and were gassed out. That was the last time it left the city, we always take my car or ride with someone else since then. When it was new we took it on a 2 week, 9 state, 5,000 mile road trip with 5 national parks. No smells. Plenty of full throttle runs.

We took it to the dealer 2-1/2 years ago and they thought it was the battery (it was leaking) so they replaced it. That didn't make a difference. Not wanting to deal with the dealer, she hasn't taken it back until last week. They can't find anything wrong, no pending codes, nothing under the car that's burning etc. They keep saying all they see that causes smells is bad batteries, but I replaced it last week because it died (AZ heat).

I think it's a bad catalytic converter, but the dealer says it can't be bad without a CEL :rolleyes:. They said they can't do more diagnostic unless she paid by the hour for them to keep looking.

Car also has an extended warranty until 120k miles, but I don't know that it will cover emissions equipment (if that is the problem).

Any ideas?
My Yaris did that, had to fight them to get the exhaust replaced. In the meantime a TSB came out. But I traded it by then.
I guess the conveter is loaded up with sulfur and minerals from granny driving.
May be too late for an Italian tune up, but some RONIN stlye highway driving in second gar may melt it down of clean it out.
I would look at the Fuel trims and see if anything is off. Many Air filters I've bought for Japanese cars have been overly oiled or restrictive.

We have a toll booth at the bottom of a hill on a highway (brilliant design, i know). When people pay the toll they have to gun it to get up the hill, I can always tell when there is a Nissan in front of me. 100% of the time I smell the sulfur, there is a Nissan directly or 2 cars ahead of me.

Back