Nascar oil

0w30 is a grade you will find in the nascar world. A long time ago when Bob Glidden was building some engines for Bodine I can tell you he ran pro stock oil in plate engine. He said “they don’t make enough power to hurt themselves”.

Our Pro Stock teams run 0w3 to 0w5 currently. We have run 0w2 which is 2.01 cSt@100. The oil did its job very well, however it was uncomfortable for the drivers seeing almost no oil pressure when staging.
The parts were beautiful.

Yes TF/FC will pretty universally run a straight 70 due to the fuel dilution from Nitro/methanol.

I believe Pro Stock is on 0W-5 One man for sure could give us a definite answer.

@High Performance Lubricants ?edit: Thank you so much!

Let us note that these engines are not running your normal 16psi (15psi on a Blazer, 20psi on a Cruze) pressure cap, I would imagine this helps cooling...

I've heard of 70psi+ boost on a 260MPH Nissan GT-R in Texas but not an 80psi cooling system, wow..

0w30 is a grade you will find in the nascar world. A long time ago when Bob Glidden was building some engines for Bodine I can tell you he ran pro stock oil in plate engine. He said “they don’t make enough power to hurt themselves”.

Our Pro Stock teams run 0w3 to 0w5 currently. We have run 0w2 which is 2.01 cSt@100. The oil did its job very well, however it was uncomfortable for the drivers seeing almost no oil pressure when staging.
The parts were beautiful.

Yes TF/FC will pretty universally run a straight 70 due to the fuel dilution from Nitro/methanol.
On different note what specific VPracing fuel are the ProStock running just curious if you know.

Oh, I don't know, common sense perhaps? And the fact that for years NASCAR always qualified on the super speedways, with far thinner viscosity oil than they raced with. Why do you suppose that was?
i mean drag racers run sae 0 or 5 oil. 0w-16 would make an engine last long enough for a race since they basically throw them away afterwards.

i mean drag racers run sae 0 or 5 oil. 0w-16 would make an engine last long enough for a race since they basically throw them away afterwards.
A pro stock engine running for 120 seconds from startup to shutdown, is not a NASCAR engine running at near redline for 4 hours and 500 miles on a super speedway. 2 completely different lubrication requirements.

All Pro Stock cars and bikes run a dedicated Sunoco fuel.
A pro stock engine running for 120 seconds from startup to shutdown, is not a NASCAR engine running at near redline for 4 hours and 500 miles on a super speedway. 2 completely different lubrication requirements.
Do you think a NASCAR engine is all that stressed these days I don’t very rare you see one come apart and that’s usually do to driver missing a shift or turning it backwards.

Do you think a NASCAR engine is all that stressed these days I don’t very rare you see one come apart and that’s usually do to driver missing a shift or turning it backwards.
They are running at very high temperatures. Especially on the super speedways, when running single file in a pack, pushing each other and bump drafting. (Like they do for most of the race, for hours on end). So yes, they are stressed.

Exactly. 0w-16 can protect it long enough for that period of time and stress.

On different note what specific VPracing fuel are the ProStock running just curious if you know.
I would guess 110 octane... the stuff that will melt pistons if we used it 100% our regular cars..

Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle both run Sunoco SR18 as mandated by the NHRA. You could actually run it in a commuter car if you tune for it. Not that you would want to ~$17.80/gal. You would have to lean out the air/fuel mixture slightly since SR18 has a leaner stoich compared to non-ethanol pump gas. (15.1 vs 14.7) It also has a faster burn rate than pump gas, wanting 2-3° less timing for best power.

The brake mean effective pressure (BMEP) of a NASCAR cup engine is ~220 psi (~15.1 bar) near peak torque. That's almost identical to the BMEP of a Formula 1 engine.

Pro Stock engines are >250 psi BMEP.

Top Fuel / Funny Car engines are near 1500 psi BMEP.

I will tell you that virtually every dirt late model team running a super late model is using Mobil-1, Schaffer’s, Amsoil or other high quality, full synthetic in the 20W-50 variety.

For those that don’t know, a dirt super late model is basically a Nascar Cup car equivalent to what they were building and running in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. 750-900 hp, $90-150k for a compete car.

I will tell you that virtually every dirt late model team running a super late model is using Mobil-1, Schaffer’s, Amsoil or other high quality, full synthetic in the 20W-50 variety.

For those that don’t know, a dirt super late model is basically a Nascar Cup car equivalent to what they were building and running in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. 750-900 hp, $90-150k for a compete car.

They're also running methanol and thus water and fuel dilution is higher. Even still, I know at least one team that runs a 5W-40 with success.

We used to run Schaeffer oil in our late model car diet track cars.

No way was a Mobil 1 oil even allowed in the garage.

Back