Name brand vs store brand coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there really any reason to pay extra for name brand coolant? What would be better about it compared to the cheap-o store brand? Talking about the green kind here...

If it didn't say Prestone on the bottle, it never went in my radiator. I at least hope when a major brand changes formulations, the new one is compatible with the old. I am less trustful of store brands. I am also less trustful of a name owned by Allied Signal than when Union Carbide owned the Prestone name.

I did buy some off brand antifreeze to use in the cement for the post holes when I fenced my yard.

What does adding a/freeze to cement do? I've never heard of doin this
confused.gif

It would depend on what the store brand set for standards. It might be good, might be bad. Much of this stuff comes from the same production line. I was in one plant that had more than 60 brands on the floor, packaging several at the same time from the same tank.
But I've seen plants where the stuff that goes into certain brands has to meet the standard, and when the product is off, they just throw the off brand package in the line.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
some off brand antifreeze to use in the cement for the post holes when I fenced my yard.

I've never heard of this. Concrete cures by a chemical reaction hydrating the cement material. It some water were removed and replaced by another chemical, ethylene glycol, I would be very skeptical.

The curing of concrete is an exothermic reaction... it gives off heat. It needs to be kept cooled in mass placements like a dam.

What ratio ? How much anti-freeze ?
Interesting. I'll do some research into this.

quote:

some off brand antifreeze to use in the cement for the post holes when I fenced my yard.

I've never heard of this. Concrete cures by a chemical reaction hydrating the cement material. It some water were removed and replaced by another chemical, ethylene glycol, I would be very skeptical.

The curing of concrete is an exothermic reaction... it gives off heat. It needs to be kept cooled in mass placements like a dam.

What ratio ? How much anti-freeze ?
Interesting. I'll do some research into this.

I've never heard of anyone using antifreeze in concrete... been doing commercial general contracting work for about 15 years now, in Maine, where it stays below freezing from late nov to mid march. we use Calcium chloride to heat up the concrete until it sets, curing takes about 30 years. all the concrete trucks around here carry bags of CaCL on them during the freezing months.

but if it's just for fence posts, let it freeze, it's not a big deal for that application.

-Bret

I don't know about concrete but I've heard that ethylene glycol and borates are one of the best anti rot/wood preservatives there is.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
confused.gif

It keeps it from freezing. They make a special product to add to cement so you can pour concrete in freezing weather and have it cure instead of freezing. I went to Lowe's and asked about it. They didn't have it. After I left, a man that over heard me asking about it, came up to me in the parking lot and said he does cement work for a living, and they always just use regular antifreeze. I pick up some cheap stuff and my concrete cured fine, Perhaps a little slowly, but hard and it has not cracked after several years.

quote:

I did buy some off brand antifreeze to use in the cement for the post holes when I fenced my yard. [/QB]

You can use hot water for cold weather concrete work. Hot water w/calcium sets up really fast.
cheers.gif

Adding antifreeze to concrete mix in the winter, is a common practice around here. I have seen it done on many jobsites, although I do not know how well it works, or the mix rate. Supposedly, If a form breaks, you can add sugar to the concrete, and it won't set up at all..........so you can scoop it all out at your leisure and start over.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bret Chase:
curing takes about 30 years.

Around here in the Nebraska area, our concrete dosent even last that long before it's crap.
frown.gif

Nothing but orange construction signs and barrels all summer! (and spring/fall).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back