My VW GTI hit the 100K mile mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit the 100K mile mark on my 2013 VW GTI yesterday.
I've wanted a VW long before I bought my GTI, but VW reliability scared me off.

I did have two problems since I've owned my VW:
The dual-mass flywheel went out (50K mark) so I replaced it with a one piece flywheel and upgrade clutch kit and the butterfly valves on the intake manifold
quit working (81K) and the fix requires a new intake manifold.

Being that I'm a former Honda and now semi mechanic, I can handle most anything thrown at me.

The intake manifold was surprisingly reasonable at $180, but the clutch kit and tools I needed
ran me about $1500. I could have had the flywheel and clutch replaced under warranty, but I wanted to future proof it for future mods if desired.

My engine is direct injected turbocharged and the intake valves looked pretty nasty, so I cleaned them while the intake was off.

The car has had no other issues so far.

I changed the spark plugs when I did the clutch and they looked like they could have easily went the 60K replacement interval set by VW.
I replaced the brake pads at 78K. The pads had some life left, but I wanted to spare the rotors.

My car is a complete joy to drive and very practical that it's a hatchback. It's very comfortable for a small car, isn't too loud on the freeway
and doesn't beat you up on a road trip. It's very civilized for a small car. There is a little turbo lag, but 207 foot lb's is available from 1700-5000
RPM's making the car feel faster than it is.

The car has some oddities: It came with a full-size French made Bridgestone spare with a higher speed rating than the 4 Dunlops.
I read somewhere the Focus ST actually has a full-size spare?
The Dunlops while not winter tires, had the mountain snowflake symbol on the sidewalls.
The glove box is felt lined and has a knob in it to air condition it, effectively turning it into a tiny refrigerator.
There are adjustable rear passenger HVAC vents in the center console.

My wife tends to drive my car for her job instead of putting miles on her Audi since I'm close to work.
All in all, I like my car and I would buy it again. There aren't too many choices in regards to small, fun and practical cars.
I would take a hard look at a Focus ST if I had to replace it.

Thanks for the report. I'd love to have a GTI or Golf R, but my local dealers have less than stellar service departments...

They are great little fun cars to drive.

The track record you post about though is my fear of VW as both repairs are not minor in cost paying a mechanic to perform.

I was thwarted away from VW due to reliability concerns. I wanted a stick diesel and none were left when I was buying so I never did get one. Maybe I won't be afraid in the future.

What is the point of the 'dual mass flywheel"....is it a weight saving measure?....it seems like a solution in search of a problem. I don't recall traditional flywheels needing replacement very often.

That's a lot of money spent for only 100K miles..... even if you did all the labor yourself.
What would that cost if a local VW dealership did both repairs ?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that's unacceptable reliability / repairs for the low miles on your car.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
That's a lot of money spent for only 100K miles..... even if you did all the labor yourself.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that's unacceptable reliability / repairs for the low miles on your car.

Really he replaced two items and one could've been done under warranty he chose not to. So really not bad at all. Vw gets a bad reputation that is sometimes underserved. Honda's latest record with those 9 speed autos aren't exactly the most reliable. I am not saying Honda makes a bad car but far from stellar in the last few years.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Really he replaced two items and one could've been done under warranty he chose not to. So really not bad at all. Vw gets a bad reputation that is sometimes underserved. Honda's latest record with those 9 speed autos aren't exactly the most reliable. I am not saying Honda makes a bad car but far from stellar in the last few years.
Being under warranty doesn't matter. I had a VW that I had the Dual Mass Flywheel replaced, it was $1,800 to have it replaced. With another defective one.

So if the DMF dies after 50k miles what does the owner do at 100k? 150k? 200k? Just spend nearly $2,000 having it replaced over and over again? One shouldn't have to use aftermarket parts to fix the factory defect that's been plaguing those cars for over 10 years.

No big deal put a solid mass flywheel and Sachs conventional clutch in it, I did a 228mm VR6 clutch in a TDI for under $500 all in for parts including all new bolts and rear main seal.

Do all VW with manual transmission use a DMF ?
If so, that's a deal breaker right there.

Nick,
I remember your old posts about you having a defective replacement DMF and getting rid of the car. Again, that's terrible parts quality from VW. Many dealerships will claim abuse and refuse to replace under warranty. It doesn't matter if OP spent his own time and money to upgrade to what shouldn't go bad with non abused low mileage on his car.

I installed a South Bend clutch kit with an after-market one piece flywheel. The dual-mass flywheel made for a smoother and quieter shifting experience in the low revs. The clutch is stiff, but feels a lot better than the stock unit.

1500 dollars for a clutch, fly and tools?! I know DMFs are expensive but crickey!

The cheap option was always a G60 fly and VR clutch, not sure if the Mk7 uses a different bolt arrangement?

Cool car though, glad you like it
smile.gif
a downpipe and remap will make a big difference.

Originally Posted By: pbm
What is the point of the 'dual mass flywheel"....is it a weight saving measure?....it seems like a solution in search of a problem. I don't recall traditional flywheels needing replacement very often.

It allows for a smoother engagement; has some dampening affect. The factory clutch in my Jetta TDI was also a DMF. I had it replaced with a good SMF setup as it could not hold much more than stock torque (when I started modding the TDI).

The various SMF setups (Sachs, Luk, Valeo, Southbend etc.) are the typical replacements, either preemptively or due to slippage (unknown how much torque the factory MK VI GTI clutch/flywheel holds)

Glad you enjoy the vehicle and i wish you many more years of satisfaction. For me though, I'll pass.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Dual mass flywheels are supposed to have smoother engagement at low RPM, like when taking off from a stop. I never really noticed much of a difference though between dual mass and traditional flywheels. I agree they are a solution in search of a problem. Hard to believe they can over complicate a manual transmission, but they did.

The failures do seem more common in higher torque cars such as TDi's and GTi's.

I had my DMF replaced with a South Bend (stage 2?) SMF when my DMF went bad at 249k. What a difference. More smooth and easier to work than the DMF. I didn't hear a difference either. Well worth it. But I had a MkIV, and IIRC it was $350 for the clutch and $350 for the local indie to do the job (although I think I did have to spend $100 or so on an alignment as it was off slightly afterward). Boy did I love that setup...

Later I recall reading about how SMF's don't have the vibration dampening and could possibly lead to premature trans wear. Not sure how true that was, but I didn't keep the car for much longer (got rid of at 314k).

Will say VW's continued usage of DMF's is one of the reasons why I don't plan on buying another. Maybe on the used market I could contemplate it. I spent way too much on repairs (couldn't do the big jobs like clutch or turbo) but boy did I like the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back