My visit to the Fram Test Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was invited to the Fram test lab by J Buckley/motorking for a tour of the and a seminar/discussion on Wednesday and Thursday. Went out to eat Wednesday night at nice restaurant with the other invitees, some Fram engineers, the lead Fram division exec, and some pr folks. On Thursday morning went to the lab for the tour and discussion. Much of what I saw can be viewed on the two 2011 Fram Challenge videos on youtube. The second video shows some of the major testing I viewed. I also saw the impulse test simulating possible increased pressure impulses, the ISO multipass efficiency testing shown in the video, environmental testing area for the Fram canisters, and the hot oil testing lab and vibration testing lab shown in the video.

Also I got to view the climate controlled air filter testing lab, which as a long time Fram air filter user I very much enjoyed. In that lab, the Fram air filters are tested in the actual vehicle manufacturers air boxes. The particulates are drawn/vacuumed into the filter and measurements taken downstream. Unlike the oil filter multipass efficiency test the air filter test is a single pass test using the latest ISO standard (can't remember the number) And one thing that I found interesting, is that Fram still uses genuine nitrile gaskets on it rigid fram AF's like those used on Honda's which is much more expensive to use. But, many competitors are now using cheaper composite material which doesn't seal as well or remain as flexible over it's usable life. The chief engineer, who happens to own a Honda apparently won't compromise on the nitrile gaskets even though a lot of money could be saved by going with the cheaper gasket material.

The Fram/Champ oil filter manufacturing and testing is now pretty well integrated. I saw some actual return filters on a bench sent back to the lab for testing, and while I won't mention the specific type filter, two were for a non traditional design that is frequently discussed here including a very recent thread.
56.gif

I did ask a couple questions of two of the engineers. I asked Gary, who you can see in the video, about the frequency and length of 'bypass events'. As Jim Allen has said based on his visit, Gary said especially with todays oils/viscosity, bypass events are relatively infrequent and of short duration. Most on very cold starts when the oil has set for a long period. When I asked him about the 25000 cycles mentioned in the video, he said he'd have to go back and look at the video, but I was satisfied with the direct answer he gave.

I also asked another engineer, Mike, about the difference between the older single pass oil filter efficiency test and the now industry standard ISO 4548-12 multipass test. I asked which test, the single pass or multi pass test would show a higher efficiency. His answer was that the single pass test was not a real world oil filter test and tended to have more of a 'fudge factor' in the rating. The filter they were efficiency testing the day I was there was a Tough Guard, which according to the screen read out was right on spec at 20um.

Going back to lab for the mythbusting session we viewed a few of the infamous anti Fram youtubes, some have been posted here. Clearly on the first the guy hadn't changed his oil in ages and any filter would have looked similar. One with media/centertube collapsed either from a failed or tampered engine bypass, non spec'd on the filter. And the one the for the orange can where the joining seam pleat was not fully joined, but folded over leaving a clear view of the centertube. That one likely could be a assembly line failure, but still odd that the guy opened one unused and found it. A fact once mentioned by Gary Allan (rip) on yt comments who was quickly sternly rebuked by the youtube maker.

Last thing we did before lunch was look at different filter types(canister/cartridge)and endcap designs, no end cap, plastic/composite endcaps, to make the point about endcaps being made out of many materials, including fiber. And last Gary showed the High Mileage filter, saying that the gel was designed to increase the tbn ~1-1.5 points. Though I personally wouldn't buy the HM, the explanation sounded reasonable.

Ate a catered box lunch, got some Fram swag and left to catch a plane out of Detroit. All in all, a busy and worthwhile trip, met some nice folks, got first class treatment and learned a lot. And I now have a Fram hat to go with my Purolator hats. And, thanks to Jay, and all the folks at Fram that made the experience possible and a good one.

Sounds like a cool visit; very interesting! Tell us how you arranged it...

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Where was this all at such that you flew out of Detroit?

The lab is in Perrysburg Ohio, just south of Toledo, about an hours drive from the airport. More flight selection out of Detroit, than Toledo.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Actually I was invited by Jay, as were others here, by commenting on a Fram endcap thread that back at the top now.

Sayjac-did they make any Ecore references at all (and did you see any evidence of Ecores anywhere)-specifically, is the Ecore design going to make it into their mainstream filters (as it has in the Fram/Walmart TLEs), or are they going to stick with the steel tubes?

^^^^No ecore references were made, not did I specifically ask, but if you carefully look at my OP you should pick up on some filter testing information. There was no mention of extending the ecore use beyond the now Wally TLE filters.

Yep, it was a pretty neat tour. I didn't get any food, or normal swap, as mine was the whirlwind tour, but I did take home a box of cut open filters to photograph.

About the endcaps. After being challenged to try and tear an endcap off a fiber end Fram (with effort, I was was able to and surprised Jay) I came home and was able to pop the endcap off an unused P1 I had here by hand, again with some effort (I guess my hands are still strong ( : < )

Great post

I have spent over 20 years working in manufacturing & have visited many of our vendors plants. I think its great you had the chance to visit one of the worlds leading filter suppliers

I bet after you guys left,the Fram guys probably said, "Just where do these people(BITOG)come from"?
crazy2.gif

My feeling is that Motorking invited a few here that were somewhat skeptical about FRAM filter, and wanted to show that they aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

sayjac - glad to hear you had a good time and were treated well by the hosts. Did you ask any questions that put FRAM on the defensive, or didn't want to divulge information? One thing I would be interested is how many claims they get from customers on failed filters, etc. But I doubt any filter maker would divulge that kind of sensitive information. Plus, the date wouldn't make sense unless it was normalized and compared to other companies like Purolator, Mobil 1, WIX, etc.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

I've been in touch with Jay Buckley and I'm on the list for the next one.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
One thing I would be interested is how many claims they get from customers on failed filters, etc. But I doubt any filter maker would divulge that kind of sensitive information. Plus, the date wouldn't make sense unless it was normalized and compared to other companies like Purolator, Mobil 1, WIX, etc.

My tour dealt with this a little and they showed me the process a claim goes through. It's thorough and fair from what I can see. Fram is not anxious to buy engines but I think they will if the filter indicates it. They know all the "tells" and can deduce a lot from a filter. Many failures attributed to filters, I think, are not actual filter failures but something else. 'Course all the "experts" out there will think differently and a guy with a blown engine is trying to get someone else to carry the freight. Fram has a small room devoted to this (which they did not allow me to look at extensively) and indicated most of the claims they get are resolved within a week or 10 days. Not sure of the volume.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
there's nothing wrong with the end caps. the problem is with the. anti drainback. valve that rarely work as designed.

You've seen some sort of objective testing that shows that? Overly broad statement, Chris, with nothing much to back it up. "Rarely" is a strong word in this case.

Originally Posted By: EricF
I wouldn't sacrifice a nitrile gasket either..that's why I like teh silicone ones from wix instead!

You did realize I was referring to using nitrile gaskets on the Fram rigid frame air filters, not the oil filters. I realize this is the OF board, but thought I would include a mention of the AF's in the same post. Not aware that wix uses silicone gaskets on their air filters. Also another tidbit I picked up about the air filter change interval, despite the 12k recommendation, ~30k is actually a better number as the AF's become more efficient with use.

My feeling is that Motorking invited a few here that were somewhat skeptical about FRAM filter, and wanted to show that they aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

Yeah, I think it was my questioning on the Fram endcap thread of the use of >__um rather than @ ___um that competitors use for efficiency rating, that brought some attention.

sayjac - glad to hear you had a good time and were treated well by the hosts. Did you ask any questions that put FRAM on the defensive, or didn't want to divulge information? One thing I would be interested is how many claims they get from customers on failed filters, etc. But I doubt any filter maker would divulge that kind of sensitive information. Plus, the date wouldn't make sense unless it was normalized and compared to other companies like Purolator, Mobil 1, WIX, etc.

I didn't really press any issues/questions(like my point above), I felt based on the context of the invite, that a certain amount of discretion was appropriate. As for the amount of returns I didn't hear a figure given, but Gary B the head engineer, said that the actual proven/tested failure rate is very very small. I think he did give a general number in passing, but again, it was quite small, not significant.

I saw a comment here from a Honda filter oem user, and as folks may know Fram makes the oem Honda A-02 for Honda. Owning/maintaining a couple Hondas I had questions about the made for Honda filter. What's important to know is that the Honda filter made by Fram is made to Honda specs. For those that have seen the recent Amsoil test of some oem filters including the A-02, it would seem that the Ams. tested/rated efficiency is accurate. I heard a possible explanation as for why it's that way, but it's more than I can repeat authoritatively. Suffice to say, I prefer to start with and use an aftermarket filter with a higher rated efficiency and good holding capacity right from the start. Just me.

So sayjac, Jim, what are your overall impressions of Fram oil filters? Where I live, Fram, Purolator, and Motorcraft are all about the same price, so I usually buy whatever's most convenient, except that I prefer the FL-820s for my 4.6. I would much rather use the orange can than an ecore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back