My Ranger exhaust smells like sulfur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
Anyone have this issue? Im not really even sure it is an issue, from what Ive read on the internetz. The smell is kinda on the faint side, I notice it after taking on the highway, not at startup. Hopefully it is just the brand of gas im using, or perhaps an O2 sensor?

Why do I feel like the only people who I hear have this issue have Fords. We were a GM family, the only Ford we had (inherited) had this issue. Someone set me straight.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
Hopefully it is just the brand of gas im using

That's the cause. No worries except for the annoying smell.

Gas stations normally have their underground tanks filled at least once a day, so chances are the next time you fill up, the new gas won't cause that smell.

If it does, use a different brand of gas.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
Hopefully it is just the brand of gas im using

That's the cause. No worries except for the annoying smell.

Gas stations normally have their underground tanks filled at least once a day, so chances are the next time you fill up, the new gas won't cause that smell.

If it does, use a different brand of gas.

+1. Never had this problem with a Ford, but my dad had a Pontiac that if the "wrong" brand of fuel was put in it, would transmit a smell that would gag a maggot. He would put another brand in and the smell would disappear.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Why do I feel like the only people who I hear have this issue have Fords. We were a GM family, the only Ford we had (inherited) had this issue. Someone set me straight.

I've only ever noticed it on Toyotas.
21.gif

I would try different gas though. If an O2 sensor or cat is far enough gone to make a smell you will probably see a CEL. Fuel can change the smell...when I use E85 in my truck the exhaust smell is distinctly different from gas. Sort of like catching a whiff of moonshine or something.

My new honda has a bad rotten egg smell. Never had that before - must be tons of sulphur in the gas. Our 87 E10 gas is absolute garbage this year - i just switched to shell vpower with no e10.

ARCO-- Doesn't the state of NH require reformulated gas to the CA spec?? If it does, I believe it contains 10% ethanol as the basic formula. Where am I wrong. --Oldtommy

Sulfur smells can be caused by an over-heated cat.

Overheated cats are usually caused by on over-rich fuel mixture. Are the upstream O2 sensors original?

The only times I've ever gotten a nasty smell out of my cats have been from absolutely flogging the engine after idling it for a couple of hours, or when my O2 sensors got lazy and needed to be replaced.

Either way, it could be a sign of a an issue that needs to be resolved.

Heavy fuel loading will give off the rotten egg smell.

You just want to make sure the fuel loading is operator induced (going WOT, climbing a hill, towing) and not caused by a misfire or whatnot.

CC's will not last long being overheated. New assemblies can quickly exceed the value of the vehicle for older vehicles.

Joel

Look underneath the truck. Sometimes a plastic bag will get stuck to the exhaust system and make a terrible smell. Hopefully that is the only reason your truck smells bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back