My quest for a better air filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Traffic242
Mahle claims 99.9% efficiency with the ability to filter particles as small as 3-5 microns, while allowing exceptional flow rates.

Hastings claims 98.7% per ISO 2015.

Right. 99.98% is higher than both of those.

Correct, but I dont onow of a Donaldson flat panel filter for any of my applications. My last 2007 Duramax had a Powercore as OEM equipment. Great products.

Correct, but I dont onow of a Donaldson flat panel filter for any of my applications. My last 2007 Duramax had a Powercore as OEM equipment. Great products.

They are indeed and Volant makes a number of air intake systems that utilize the PowerCore for more "traditional" applications. I'd put one on my Jeep but they won't confirm it will work the 6.4L (I've asked them twice now).

I looked up a flat panel air filter for my Altima VQ... And lo and behold Donaldson had one that would have fit... But it didn't say it was a Powercore....did look nice though.

Last edited:
Mahle LX3482 is the Hellcat OEM filter and a popular upgrade for us with 392s. It flows at double the rate of the standard 392 filter. They're cheap too. Not sure if you knew that or not.

I'm on my 2nd Challenger. My 2010 I had a ton of bolt'ons and ended up running a 6.1 OEM lower airbox, since they were nearly identical to the 5.7 boxes. The 6.1 just had no intake resonator and a larger bottom opening for more air. I did run a Volant intake for a while but switched back to the 6.1 style. Never noticed any difference with performance or mileage, or anything.

Mahle LX3482 is the Hellcat OEM filter and a popular upgrade for us with 392s. It flows at double the rate of the standard 392 filter. They're cheap too. Not sure if you knew that or not.

I'm on my 2nd Challenger. My 2010 I had a ton of bolt'ons and ended up running a 6.1 OEM lower airbox, since they were nearly identical to the 5.7 boxes. The 6.1 just had no intake resonator and a larger bottom opening for more air. I did run a Volant intake for a while but switched back to the 6.1 style. Never noticed any difference with performance or mileage, or anything.

Thanks for that, I was unaware of that filter crossover. I wonder if that holds true for the Jeep? Guess I could look it up, lol. This is my second SRT, I had a 2014 Charger before the Jeep.

We all use the same filter. The standard OEM Mopar filter flows at ~750ish CFM, supposedly, right on par with all the top oiled cotton gauze brands. Someone on the SRT forums with a Challenger did the math and figured out the Hellcat filter's true numbers. And on that, I've seen 2 sets of flow numbers: ~1000cfm and 1400~ cfm. YouTube it. There's tons of info there. I did compare my stock 392 filter side by side with the MAHLE LX3482 and the Hellcat filter has way more pleats. So with that being said, it's been a very popular, and cheap upgrade to the 3.6, 5.7 and 6.4 guys.

I can tell you that I first installed an AFE 5 layered cotton gauze for my 392 and I then put in the Mahle LX3482 and I swear the Mahle filter just makes it feel so much lighter on its feet. It's hard to explain. I put in the AFE filter for 1 day and felt like I lost throttle response and took it right back out.

Stevie,

I doubt there's any difference in efficiency. Their material looks different than most other nanofiber filters.

We all use the same filter. The standard OEM Mopar filter flows at ~750ish CFM, supposedly, right on par with all the top oiled cotton gauze brands. Someone on the SRT forums with a Challenger did the math and figured out the Hellcat filter's true numbers. And on that, I've seen 2 sets of flow numbers: ~1000cfm and 1400~ cfm. YouTube it. There's tons of info there. I did compare my stock 392 filter side by side with the MAHLE LX3482 and the Hellcat filter has way more pleats. So with that being said, it's been a very popular, and cheap upgrade to the 3.6, 5.7 and 6.4 guys.

I can tell you that I first installed an AFE 5 layered cotton gauze for my 392 and I then put in the Mahle LX3482 and I swear the Mahle filter just makes it feel so much lighter on its feet. It's hard to explain. I put in the AFE filter for 1 day and felt like I lost throttle response and took it right back out.

Stevie,

I doubt there's any difference in efficiency. Their material looks different than most other nanofiber filters.

Thanks for that! Guess I know what I'm putting in for my next air filter
grin.gif

Thanks Traffic242
thumbsup2.gif

I'll give it a shot when the Caravan is due. Want to try the AC-Delco one as well. Will time the changes with my regular UOA's to see if Si numbers are affected any by each choice.

Last edited:
ACDelco has made very efficient filters for many years. You cant go wrong with any of their stuff, I don't think. I also heard that when lots of manufacturers outsourced their products to China, they did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back