My oil scores haven't been what they used to be

The GREAT OIL SCORES that I once had, haven't been around for me lately. I know, I know, BOO-HOO for me! :cry:

I mean, I haven't been doing too bad on price once I do find a decent score but, it's been more along the line of $2+/qt. or $10-$11/5qt jug. :cautious:

I've been missing out when members post those great Walmart deals(online) or even when I check the W*M site myself. When I look for them at the oils @walmart.com, they're at the normal price. Or the real deal is on an oil grade that I'm not looking for nor need.

Lately, I've been eye-balling this particular(AAP) CarQuest 0W20 & 5W20 full synthetic($6.45/qt) that has been on their discount/closeout shelf for way too many months. I've periodically asked the clerk to scan the price just to see if it comes up at a lower price or if they could reduce the price. NOPE! :(

This time, I went into said AAP(all other AAPs have been sold out) and asked the Mgr privately(away from other customers) if she could knock down the price and I'll take the whole shelf(all 21 qts.). We had to do some back & forth negotiation til finally she came down to $1.99/qt. and I agreed.(y)

7 qts 0W20/14 qts 5W20 with a mix of API SN+ and SP so, they're all recent oils.

How has your luck been lately?

CB

If you've been on walmart.com, you've been cleaning up! I did clear out 3 M1 5W20 HM Ecoboxes from a local WM for $22 each (including tax, exclusive of any rebates), so I have enough to last a very long time. Other members could fill a smaller oil tanker with their hauls!!

My luck has been good, thanks for asking. Yesterday I picked up some Gulf Western 10W30 semi-synthetic (API SP and ILSAC GF-6A) at 70% Off, so $10 (AUD) for 5L

That’s $7.31 (USD) for 5.28 quarts......probably one of the best deals I’ve ever seen in Australia, and for a modern SP oil, not some old SL 20W50.

3 cheers for the great oil clearances reported here.
The retailers where I live must send it all to auto repair shop accounts.
Lately (past 3 years) the only oil clearances are a few quarts of specialty oils.
There are probably too few oddies to bother with so they go on the table with random old stock.

If you've been on walmart.com, you've been cleaning up! I did clear out 3 M1 5W20 HM Ecoboxes from a local WM for $22 each (including tax, exclusive of any rebates), so I have enough to last a very long time. Other members could fill a smaller oil tanker with their hauls!!
Sadly no! When I get on Walmart.com after being tipped by a member, the price is back to the regular cost. Even when I frequent Walmart.com on my own and check oil prices, there's nothing special. But, I am going to keep trying. (y)

i took advantage of a walmart brickseek find posted here , 8 jugs of m1 10-30 for 5.49 a jug , and 3 jugs of 5-30 magnatec for 5 bucks a pc, also a sale at napa along with another napa rewards discount on m1 ep , that would keep me oiled up for a few years unless i sell or trade some to my coworkers.

One thing is that I've been buying Mobil1 EP 5qt at Walmart for $25 for a very long time (over 10 years), very suspicious given all the inflation. They must be finding ways to make it cheaper. I would not say engine oil prices is something to complain given the 5% inflation everywhere else.

One thing is that I've been buying Mobil1 EP 5qt at Walmart for $25 for a very long time (over 10 years), very suspicious given all the inflation. They must be finding ways to make it cheaper. I would not say engine oil prices is something to complain given the 5% inflation everywhere else.
With fracking and GTL processes, companies can be more efficient with oil production. I wouldn't say "cheaper" as in a lesser product, but definitely less "cost-intensive" to produce.

Definitely use brickseek every day to check prices for all area walmarts if you want to score a deal. And be ready to stop by the store as soon as the deal appears. Some of the stores in my area always have certain brands/viscosities on clearance when they are in stock, whereas other stores never do. I don't understand the logic of clearancing items that are rarely in stock, but I'm happy to take these items off their hands when they are in stock (I currently have well over 20 jugs of Magnatec that I bought at $1/qt).

Sadly no! When I get on Walmart.com after being tipped by a member, the price is back to the regular cost. Even when I frequent Walmart.com on my own and check oil prices, there's nothing special. But, I am going to keep trying. (y)
Often the prices you see at Walmart.com are different than the shelf prices in store. To get the website prices, you have to buy from the website. This can be cheaper and easier as well, you just go straight to the pickup counter and prove your ID, then walk out with yer stuff. No waiting in long checkout lines among the Wally World riff raff.

If it makes you feel any better, i've never had an oil score lol. But i buy as needed, in walmart, at that time...

To me, $4/gal($1/qt) for FULL SYN would be a good score. $11.50/gal/blend means you didn't overpay. 😁
Seriously, I mean it!

I manage a fleet and this is the best deal I can get in quality for a quality oil that I go through A LOT of.
I have one diesel truck that takes 5 gals. The rest (gas engine) all take 2 gal.

I wish I could buy it by the drum, but right now I do not have a place to store it.

I mean, in order to get those BIG SCORES, you'd need to be frequenting the store websites or the discount shelves for the oil of your choice. I can't tell you how often I see diesel oils on the discount shelves at Walmart for those bargains that I mentioned. But, I don't buy'em 'cause I don't need'em.

For someone who manages a whole fleet, you probably couldn't buy enough oil(s) for that fleet unless you get the 55 gal drum.

Back