My next ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want comfortable and reliable, perhaps a Lexus RX?
It ain't a truck...
I could not tell from your post if you needed a real truck or more of a driver.

One tip - don't drive one if you want something else. It will spoil you.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Slightly off-topic but at the heart of my issues with some of these vehicles. Question - Is any car company capable of producing quality vehicles anymore or is every design/development decision nothing more than "good enough at this price point" and "let's not make it too good or people won't need to buy another one"?

Example - My 2018 Pilot has the ZF 9-speed transmission which is 95% fine as of 2018 - still some sloppy shifting at low speeds. What could possibly be going through the minds of Honda's engineers when they decided to include it in 2016 after it was universally slammed in every vehicle it was previously implemented in for crappy shifting and reliability problems? I'm sure they noticed the [censored] shifting during testing and read about the [censored] shifting in Jeeps/Range Rovers/Chryslers/etc. Do they have a meeting and say, "Gee, we know this transmission sucks but it fits what we need for marketing and price point so lets include it anyway in one of our best-known vehicles and hope no one notices" or are they that incompetent that they can't tell it shifts terribly?

That's just one example of thousands of examples of crappy design/development by just about every car company on this planet. Are these cases of "good enough" being the enemy of great?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
If you want comfortable and reliable, perhaps a Lexus RX?
It ain't a truck...
I could not tell from your post if you needed a real truck or more of a driver.

One tip - don't drive one if you want something else. It will spoil you.

Good luck and happy hunting!

I looked at Lexus a few years ago and was universally let down by the lack of head room. I sat in an RX and a GS and at 6'5" with the moonroof had to have the seat-back so far back I was looking out the back windows. It was weird how little headroom both had. Perhaps that has changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tcp71
Not sure what issues the 2016 F-150 had, but mine has been great. I may have different requirements than you.

Multiple engine issues (2.7L). Multiple transmission issues (6-speed). Some interior electrical issues requiring the replacement of the Sync unit. Running boards started to bubble and peal. Now an exorbitant bill for a relatively small dent. The truck only has 35K on it and is babied with no hauling of any kind.

I also understand that I can go on any forum and find the outliers who have had tons of problems while the vast majority of people have had no problems but that is my only first-hand experience with the F150.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about "fitting" inside a Ram 1500. I'm 6'3' and go 450. I have plenty of room for everything. I have driven from Milwaukee to Austin, stopping only for gas, in 20 hours and I was still able to move when I got there. So, plenty of room and comfort for big guys and girls. The 8 speed was designed by ZF of Germany, so the old tale of bad slushboxes in Rams don't apply any more! As for the HEMI, what's not to Like? Mines got 60K on it now, it's been super reliable and never uses oil between changes (about 7.5k).

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
What's the logic here? Just want a change? Can you depreciate it?

Yes, to change. I could use section 179 although I'm not entirely up on the 2018 changes - is it still up to $25K if GVWR is >6k lbs or up to 100% of business use if over >6k lbs and bed is >6'?

Last edited:
The GMC Sierra hands down without a doubt.

The FCA vehicles in my family have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Originally Posted by 63CadillacBill
The 8 speed was designed by ZF of Germany, so the old tale of bad slushboxes in Rams don't apply any more!

Who said ZF transmissions were reliable? Chekov was killed by one!

Originally Posted by Dave1027
The 8 speed was designed by ZF of Germany, so the old tale of bad slushboxes in Rams don't apply any more!

No, he was killed by his failure to place the vehicle in park.

I'd say the transmission functioned exactly the way Jeep programmed it to.

They are reliable. ZF is not responsible of design of T handle or knob that directs operation of the transmission.
Rotary knob in JEEP is responsible for that, not transmission. That is why FCA moved to classic T handle in 2018.

Originally Posted by edyvw

They are reliable. ZF is not responsible of design of T handle or knob that directs operation of the transmission.
Rotary knob in JEEP is responsible for that, not transmission. That is why FCA moved to classic T handle in 2018.

The original ZF 9-speed used in transversely mounted engines was a total hunk of crap and has been for years. Honda made it acceptable for 2018 with updated software and it's reported did some serious redesigning/tuning for 2019. There are inheritant flaws in its design both in the use of dog clutches and a valve body that caused low transmission fluid pressure situations at low RPM and hard shifts. These issues had been known for years in other cars with no obvious attempt by ZF to fix it.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Is there anything else you need the truck to do, besides look good?

Lol...no, but it needs to be comfortable. I'm 6'5" and a larger fella.

That said, I've owned Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Acura, Ford, and have never had a major problem with any of my cars. I'd like to avoid buying a lemon. I really like most of the FCA vehicles but know if I get a car with major issues I'll want to take a [censored] baseball bat to it every time I look at it.

Anyone here own a newer Ram 1500 or Wrangler and not have major issues?

The ergonomics in a 4Runner are terrible. I wouldn't ever consider one with your height. The seats are hard for any length of time-the dash is circa 1980s. It does excel offload-but that's about it.

Lexus GX460
Lexus LX570
Toyota Land Cruiser
Infiniti QX80

Even a few year old used example of these vehicles (like certified, straight out of lease) will treat you right, be comfortable, and dependable for many years to come. Plus CPO will save you some bling as compared to brand new, without compromising quality and reliability.

toyota-land-speed-cruiser-3.jpg

original.jpeg

01-2018-Infiniti-QX80-Launch-KBB-01.jpeg

download-01.jpeg

lexus-lx570-26-inch-rims-gunmetal-forged-adv1-wheels-luxury-suv-i-1170x780-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Also do not forget about Porsche Cayenne. There are plenty of examples in my area for $35k-$50k for the top of the line Turbo versions with less than 50k miles on the odometer. One thing I noticed with Cayenne - the most powerful engines in the line up prove to be the most reliable overall, not just engine-wise. At least in the US market.

9be9b963d9ff562189e5ff65cfb38023-01.jpeg

Originally Posted by Vladiator
Also do not forget about Porsche Cayenne. There are plenty of examples in my area for $35k-$50k for the top of the line Turbo versions with less than 50k miles on the odometer. One thing I noticed with Cayenne - the most powerful engines in the line up prove to be the most reliable overall, not just engine-wise. At least in the US market.

Now we're talking! Except my oil OCD kicks in and I'd wonder forever what horrible cheap dino snot was used during it's formative miles.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by Vladiator

Now we're talking! Except my oil OCD kicks in and I'd wonder forever what horrible cheap dino snot was used during it's formative miles.

If you're looking at a one-owner Porsche, there's a 99% chance it's only ever seen a dealers for service.

You don't really have to worry until you're the third or fourth owner.

Bah...I don't find any of the options all that inspiring. I'm interested to see when/if Toyota does a total redesign on the Tundra bringing it up to par for tech/fuel efficiency.

Hopefully 2020....

jeep doesnt have rotary knob, uses the mono stable shifter designed by ZF , maybe Chekov needed to read his [censored] owners manual on its use and put his [censored] parking brake on like most people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back