My next ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about my next ride and for some reason I want to go either pickup truck or Wrangler Unlimited or Grand Cherokee. I'm looking for something comfortable, somewhat luxurious with amenities and RELIABLE. This will be my daily driver and I'd be surprised if I put 8K on it per year with mostly around town driving. Here are my thoughts on my options - please current owners (or anyone) share your thoughts.

1. Ford F-150 - I know it's the sales leader but my business partner has a 2016 and it has had all sorts of problems. Now someone backed into it and left without giving any info and the small dent is going to be $4500 to repair because it's aluminum. I've ridden in it a few times (Laredo) and the interior is meh.

2. Ram 1500 - Love the way it looks inside and out. Love the idea of HEMI. It has gotten great reviews. I don't trust FCA anything as far as reliability.

3. Wrangler Unlimited - Again, love the idea of a Jeep and they've updated the tech but going onto the Wrangler forums it looks like the build quality is disastrous. Welds on the frame breaking loose on cars with 1000 miles on it. Electrical gremlins. Fit and finish problems.

4. Grand Cherokee- Older design and so even though FCA hopefully the kinks have been worked out. Good looking car inside and out if not getting a little dated. Still in the back of my head I'm worried because it's FCA. Still love the idea of HEMI.

5. Honda Ridgeline - I have a 2018 Pilot and so driving this would be very similar with some added utility. They seem to be pretty dependable. Not the most masculine pickup truck. Could be boring to have a Pilot and Ridgeline side-by-side in the garage but this one actually seems to be the front runner from a boring/safe POV.

6. New GMC Sierra - I LOVE the way this thing looks on the outside. Looks ok on the inside. Totally new design and not sure I want to pickup one up for the 2020's come out. I have no history with GMC. Not a fan of buying first year major redesigns from any manufacture.

7. Toyota Tundra - Dated inside and out. Horrific gas mileage but from what I can tell very reliable. This is the safe if not boring choice for full-sized pickups.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Is there anything else you need the truck to do, besides look good?

This.

You care about looks, not capability.

Buy what you think is pretty.

How about a 4Runner? Body on frame construction and dead reliable. Not as many bells and whistles available, so that would be a tradeoff for you, perhaps.

I have an '05 and a '17. Both purchased new.

I'm in the same boat
Noticed the Jeep brand are not great for towing
Toyota is worshipped but they are old hat- bad on gas and the dependability maybe like Honda
No longer as great as days before.

FCA- yeah but you can say that about any car maker.
Ford F150- too high- not a fan. You can get a F350 cheaper- Soccer moms usually don't buy 2500-3500's

Honda R...………. Honestly it will be a smooth machine but it is a toy and a girly one at that
smile.gif

Ram1500- beautiful- I just ran by the dealership this AM- however...………………………….

You are the perfect candidate for a lease- cheap now and get a 3 yr and you can get $40K rides for the $200-$300 range

That way long term durability isn't an issue

I'm looking at a Durango myself- I need the room and towing ability- plus the mpg looks good in the 3.6L

The Hemi has had issues and I'm not interested in the price of one. I need a functional ride.

Ram 1500.

I think all the full size trucks are attractive. But the Ram is more to my taste. I also really like the new Nissan Titan... a lot.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Is there anything else you need the truck to do, besides look good?

Lol...no, but it needs to be comfortable. I'm 6'5" and a larger fella.

That said, I've owned Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Acura, Ford, and have never had a major problem with any of my cars. I'd like to avoid buying a lemon. I really like most of the FCA vehicles but know if I get a car with major issues I'll want to take a [censored] baseball bat to it every time I look at it.

Anyone here own a newer Ram 1500 or Wrangler and not have major issues?

Originally Posted by cpayne5
How about a 4Runner? Body on frame construction and dead reliable. Not as many bells and whistles available, so that would be a tradeoff for you, perhaps.

I have an '05 and a '17. Both purchased new.

That's a vehicle I hadn't considered....

Last edited:
If you need a pickup for the size and not towing or hauling big payloads ram with pentastar v6 will do you fine.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
If you need a pickup for the size and not towing or hauling big payloads ram with pentastar v6 will do you fine.

Great choice-but you notice the V6 supply is very limited. I'd like to drive a eTorque version
Here 90% are the hemis

Here in NY there's plenty of V6 Rams on the road. OP is in Massachusetts if the price is right I'd travel to take delivery. Especially now a days all the paperwork can be pushed online. I seen 4x4 V6 Rams go for 24k out the door

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Here in NY there's plenty of V6 Rams on the road. OP is in Massachusetts if the price is right I'd travel to take delivery. Especially now a days all the paperwork can be pushed online. I seen 4x4 V6 Rams go for 24k out the door

You talking 2018's right with the 25% discount plus incentives- not the 19's

A coworker recently drove the new Ridgeline and he was really impressed with it and is plotting the right timing to get one. He said it felt incredibly solid and drove nicely. He liked the fold and swing tailgate along with the in-bed trunk. For home projects and occasional hauling of heavy loads it's ideal because of its ride and handling (start paying attention to how many large trucks you see with empty beds most of the time and not towing anything and the Ridgeline starts to make sense). His context is a Nissan Frontier.

Last edited:
I'ii chime in as the expert here
01.gif
you have done the work it seems and will you have to get out and take all the brands you are interested in on long test drives [you will be spending a ton of money no?] Find which brand's' you like the best, think about it for a while as there are no shortages of vehicles. then pay the money and take your chances. I have been in all the brands and they are all very , very nice. Reliability is good to think about..

I like the Pentastar 3.6 in the old lady's minivan. Power and economy and it seems that it has good longevity. That being said, get what you like. My brother loves his F-150 platinum but those new '19 Rams sure are sweet.

I would not get a Jeep Cherokee until you are positive the problems that caused them to be rated at the bottom of the barrel by Consumer Reports have been worked out.

I liked my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee but replaced an engine.

Also consider the Cherokee's better looking cousin-- the Dodge Durango. Get it with the excellent Pentastar V-6 or a Hemi if you like.

Originally Posted by Donald
I would not get a Jeep Cherokee until you are positive the problems that caused them to be rated at the bottom of the barrel by Consumer Reports have been worked out.

I liked my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee but replaced an engine.

I always get excited about the rumors that Jeep/Ram maybe spun-off from FCA. They are FCAs only bright stars as far as sales. Unfortunately the penny pinchers at FCA have ruined the quality of both brands even more so than the previous management teams.

Not sure what issues the 2016 F-150 had, but mine has been great. I may have different requirements than you.

20170814_152846.jpg

20180804_112852.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back