My new Cub Cadet XT2 LX46

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
I have been looking for three years. I own two Craftsman LT1000s a 22 year old B & S 20 HP V twin and A 20 year old 19.5 HP opposed piston B & S turbo cool . They owe me nothing, but are truly at the end of their useful life engine wise and they are pretty beat up. I think the last time I mowed something let go in the 20hp 2 cyl mower as it burnt over a quart of oil.

So here it is 2300 dollars with mulch kit. 24 horsepower Kohler. The new one is totally different from the old ones with electric blade engagement and foot pedals for forward and reverse with cruise control. I had looked at a few Deeres but I couldn't justify the price.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one has a 3 year 400 hour warranty and 5 year front axle/chassis warranty. I don't think I have ever researched something I have bought so much. Just nervous because those two old Craftsman always did good by me. Lawn mower reviews are all over the place.

Had wood delivered today so I can redo the car trailer deck this weekend.
smile.gif

Looks great!

I learned to drive on a Cub Cadet. A 1968 Model 105 (Hydrostatic). A bit simpler than this one...

I looked at this model a year or so ago but decided to run my old Deere a few more years. I was under the impression that Cub developed a new engine in house for this model but ICBW. Give us a review once you use it, especially on the EFI. You'll love the foot controlled hydro transaxle over what you've been used to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
Give us a review once you use it, especially on the EFI. You'll love the foot controlled hydro transaxle over what you've been used to.

This is non EFI. No one around here had them. That makes them "CARB" compliant and adds like 500 bucks.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I looked at this model a year or so ago but decided to run my old Deere a few more years. I was under the impression that Cub developed a new engine in house for this model but ICBW. Give us a review once you use it, especially on the EFI. You'll love the foot controlled hydro transaxle over what you've been used to.

I looked at Deeres and while they were nice, I wanted to stay under 2500. I mow 1 1/2 to 2 acres. I drove this one around property tonight. I should not have waited. The old mowers beat me up, this thing is a Cadillac compared to them. This one had some stuff that nicer than most of the mowers the can be had at Lowes/Home depot. Like the warranty and electronic blade engagement. Plus I got it from a local mom and pop place that has been in business for 40 years.

Congrats. Nice looking mower.

I've been rocking a Cub 2135 for 22 years now. Just got it ready for another season. Runs like new. It has about 590 hours on it.

I like it a lot. It has been rock solid. Only routine maintenance. I hope your new Cub is a solid as mine has been.

I'm not sure I understand?

you "couldnt justify the price on a john deere"
so you bought a big box model cub cadet?

did you shop the "fake" deeres too?

the e160 is under $2200 here.

now if you are talking X series John Deere they are pricy.

That cub cadet should be fine for mowing. Looks like a gravity feed fuel tank does it have a fuel shutoff? That would be my first mod. Usually takes about 5min.

Every Gravity feed fuel tank tractor I've worked on eventually leaks and fills the crankcase up with gas over the winter.. then you dont see it on dipstick because its clear(and on top of oil)

Go to start it and whamo- oil out the exhaust or worse.

Originally Posted by Rand
I'm not sure I understand?

you "couldnt justify the price on a john deere"
so you bought a big box model cub cadet?

did you shop the "fake" deeres too?

the e160 is under $2200 here.

now if you are talking X series John Deere they are pricy.

That cub cadet should be fine for mowing. Looks like a gravity feed fuel tank does it have a fuel shutoff? That would be my first mod. Usually takes about 5min.

Every Gravity feed fuel tank tractor I've worked on eventually leaks and fills the crankcase up with gas over the winter.. then you dont see it on dipstick because its clear(and on top of oil)

Go to start it and whamo- oil out the exhaust or worse.

I shopped the X ones, and to be honest this one is different from the XT1, you can't get the XT2 at the box stores with the warranty I got or engine that is in it. Mower price was 2199 plus 10 percent Military discount. The cheapest X (X330) was 2699 with the 42 inch deck and 3099 with the 48 inch deck. No mulching, same stamped deck with the Briggs and Stratton 20 HP no 10 percent discount. The E150 at Lowes was 2199 and is not near as comfortable as the Cub Cadet and only has a 2 year 120 hour warranty.
At that point you are paying for the color green.
Plus my kid mows and to be honest it will sound trivial the XT2 came with a bumper, the other ones did not. That was important as he is "mechanically insensitive". A bumper was another 100 to 150 on other models.

This one has a vacuum pump like my old Craftsman. All the years I have had them I have had never a problem where I needed a fuel shut off.

Last edited:
Over winter I run my Cub Cadet's tank dry. Just let it idle until it's out of fuel. Then I put a shot of Stabil in the tank to swish around with the fuel remnants.

Come March I put a half gallon of fresh gas in it, fires right up. Kohler 7000 series motor. Never had any fuel dilution issues.

Originally Posted by ls1mike

I shopped the X ones, and to be honest this one is different from the XT1, you can't get the XT2 at the box stores with the warranty I got or engine that is in it. Mower price was 2199 plus 10 percent Military discount. The cheapest X (X330) was 2699 with the 42 inch deck and 3099 with the 48 inch deck. No mulching, same stamped deck with the Briggs and Stratton 20 HP no 10 percent discount. The E150 at Lowes was 2199 and is not near as comfortable as the Cub Cadet and only has a 2 year 120 hour warranty.
Plus my kid mows and to be honest it will sound trivial the XT2 came with a bumper, the other ones did not. That was important as he is "mechanically insensitive". A bumper was another 100 to 150 on other models.

This one has a vacuum pump like my old Craftsman. All the years I have had them I have had never a problem where I needed a fuel shut off.

Haha I understand the "mechanically insensitive" thing completely, as my father and sister are that way. They've broken things on equipment I didn't even think was something you could break.

Good on you for supporting the local mom and pop dealership. If you have any warranty issues you are more likely to get better service than through Lowes. A friend has a newer Cub he bought a Lowes and what a nightmare just to get them to fix a faulty key switch.

What engine does it have, the single cylinder or V-Twin 24hp? That seat looks like something out of a Caterpillar comfort cab.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Haha I understand the "mechanically insensitive" thing completely, as my father and sister are that way. They've broken things on equipment I didn't even think was something you could break.

Good on you for supporting the local mom and pop dealership. If you have any warranty issues you are more likely to get better service than through Lowes. A friend has a newer Cub he bought a Lowes and what a nightmare just to get them to fix a faulty key switch.

What engine does it have, the single cylinder or V-Twin 24hp? That seat looks like something out of a Caterpillar comfort cab.
lol.gif

The seat is nothing short of spectacular. It has the V-twin 24 horse. I had a single cylinder rider once and my small hill while towing the sweeper about killed it.

My BIL bought one of the XT2's with the 54" deck last year or maybe the year before. It's got the larger rear tires/wheels and a kohler V-twin. They're a nice belt drive machine. I haven't heard him complain about it, but they usually have a lawn service mow the acreage at their McMansion. He's way beyond being to justify even a BIG "compact utility tractor", but none of that is his thing. LOL.

If you set the deck so it doesn't beat itself up against the ground and keep her clean and dry, these machines will last a long time.

congratulations and thanks for the post! I am currently in the process of shopping for one (and over-analyzing).
so many choices:
- stamped or fabricated deck
- electric or manual PTO
- Kohler or Cub engine
- EFI or Carb
- deck size

ahhhhh!

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

lol.gif

The seat is nothing short of spectacular. It has the V-twin 24 horse. I had a single cylinder rider once and my small hill while towing the sweeper about killed it.

Nice! the V-Twin Kohler Courage is a better engine than the Courage single cylinders. The singles have a lot of issues with plastic cam gears, blocks cracking, etc. The V-Twins have the occasional leaking valve cover, but they are fairly solid. A customer of mine has close to 1000 hours on one with Napa 21348 filters and Napa 10w30.

First mow is complete. I don't know why I waited so long. So comfortable. Plenty of power. I LOVE the foot pedals. Didn't think I would.

Really no complaints. It is REALLY quiet compared to my old mower.

Back