My new Bad Boy ZT Avenger 60" zero turn.

Have you changed hydro fluid and filters?
Not yet, but it's on the list for the end of this mowing season

Still on the fence about what to put in them. Probably OEM filters and whatever synthetic 20w-50 I can find, or barring that I have ~2 gallons of Castrol 20w-50 sitting around that have been waiting for something to come along...

View attachment 53058
Brand new.
Really impressed with how solid it is. No rattles and it feels very stout. According to the XPO bill of lading it weighs 860 pounds! That's a hefty girl for a "residential" zero turn. It feels easy as sturdy as the John Deere commercial 60" I used at a previous job.

The 25HP Kohler 7000 has plenty of power for the 60" deck and it goes more than fast enough. It wouldn't matter if it went any faster -- my yard isn't glass smooth. I expected it to be pretty thirsty (my other two mowers with Kohler Commands certainly are) but it used well less than 2 gallons to mow ~3.5 acres in 2.5 hours. In my opinion/experience that's pretty good fuel economy, especially with a fairly hilly yard and a few slopes I need to creep on to keep it from taking off into the woods.

One thing I noticed about this Kohler is that it has composite valve covers! That's a plus because for every other Kohler I've owned I've ended up buying composite covers that look identical to these because the stamped steel ones inevitably leak.
I dunno if I buy 860#. I have a 25hp Kawisaki powered 60" eXmark, and on serveral occasions (tires dug into a rut, needed to lift it up to work under it, etc.) I just lower the roll bar down, drop under it, and lift the back (heavy end) off the ground and get done what needs done, whether pivot the rear tires out of the hole it dug, or put a block under the decking.

That aside, yeah, a 60" ZT makes mowing the yard only a several hour affair. Time saver!!!

I have the same Kohler in another brand 60" and yes, its thirsty. However, it has never given me any mechanical issues. I will caution you to keep your ear out on the deck bearings as Badboy has had some real problems with the quality of them. My friend bought a badboy 60" about 12-13 years ago, 60" too. He used it for years and my neighbor bought it from him a couple years ago and its still on the original everything except the starter. I think overall badboy makes good, affordable mowers.

Back