My new 97 F350 Powerstroke!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I really enjoy it. I agree, it's most fun to drive when the torque converter locks up and all the power is making its way to the wheels, like on the freeway.

Sure thing, I've been looking into this, I know there won't really be a need for an additional fan for the trans cooler as the mechanical cooling fan can vigorously cools at times. In fact I've heard of some mod to the 6.0 entailing use of some of the 7.3 fan/clutch components.

I've heard a lot about them in their prevention of stiction, might check it out.

Thanks

Amir

Thanks, I am going to pick up the coolant additive from ford that prevents the cavitation of the block. Unfortunately, the power steering pump is a little delicate on these vehicles because just about the entire back end reservoir is plastic so I'll have to be especially careful with the one. I recently discovered that, due to the nature of Diesel engines, they don't produce any vacuum for the breaks, therefore there's a mechanical pump that supplements this. This system is a little more complicated and therefore it's assumed to be slightly more prone to failure, I wonder if this circulates break fluid for lubrication? I pray that hing never fails, I'm not sure how fast the e-brake will stop the truck!!

Amir

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat
Thanks, I am going to pick up the coolant additive from ford that prevents the cavitation of the block. Unfortunately, the power steering pump is a little delicate on these vehicles because just about the entire back end reservoir is plastic so I'll have to be especially careful with the one. I recently discovered that, due to the nature of Diesel engines, they don't produce any vacuum for the breaks, therefore there's a mechanical pump that supplements this. This system is a little more complicated and therefore it's assumed to be slightly more prone to failure, I wonder if this circulates break fluid for lubrication? I pray that hing never fails, I'm not sure how fast the e-brake will stop the truck!!

Amir

It doesn't circulate brake fluid. It uses the power steering fluid. Even if it did fail, you'd still have brakes, just not power-assisted brakes. It'd be like driving an old truck that doesn't have power brakes.

That's my favorite body style truck. It looks beautiful!

I see, that's a relief, thanks for the info. I too really like the body style and it's my favorite as well, the design was a little ahead of its time and still has a sort of a modern look to it. Another of the more enticing characteristics of the truck to me was that everything is original, there hasn't been any modifications (aside from the installation of a hitch in the bed, and a break controller) done to the truck it hasn't been computer chipped, the suspension, engine components ect. Are all original, which is rare I think.

Amir

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat

Amir

There are two ways that the OEMs have handled brake boost on diesel trucks. One was a mechanical vacuum pump so that the same booster as used on a gas engine would work (and had the side benefit of providing vacuum for all the HVAC blend doors in the days when those were all vacuum-driven as well). The method that's more common now is is "hydroboost," (google it) which uses the power steering pump to provide hydraulic pressure for a hydraulic power booster. These are rather popular in the muscle car world because 1) they work with big honkin' camshafts that don't generate any vacuum at idle, and 2) they're much ore compact than vacuum boosters so they don't get in the way of headers and/or bigger engine transplants in small cars.

Oh and as for the vague steering: Welcome to the world of older full-size Ford trucks. Whether its a Twin-I-Beam IFS, or a solid axle 4x4, or the later hybrid Twin-I 4x4 IFS where the diff swings up and down with one wheel and there's a U-joint in the middle (Twin Traction Beam), they all just kinda wander. Camber changes with suspension jounce and loading, which is one thing that makes it "feel funny." Ford Twin-I was tougher than just about any other 2-wheel-drive independent front suspension in pickups, but not exactly a precision instrument- it really is a case of trading off precision for ruggedness. The 2-wheel-drive Dodge and Chevy trucks of the the 70s-90s handled and held the road a whole lot better than yours, but they'd go two sets of front balljoints before your truck would need any real front suspension work. The pre-94 Dodges were the weakest of the 3, Chevy in the middle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Oh and as for the vague steering: Welcome to the world of older full-size Ford trucks. Whether its a Twin-I-Beam IFS, or a solid axle 4x4, or the later hybrid Twin-I 4x4 IFS where the diff swings up and down with one wheel and there's a U-joint in the middle (Twin Traction Beam), they all just kinda wander. Camber changes with suspension jounce and loading, which is one thing that makes it "feel funny." Ford Twin-I was tougher than just about any other 2-wheel-drive independent front suspension in pickups, but not exactly a precision instrument- it really is a case of trading off precision for ruggedness. The 2-wheel-drive Dodge and Chevy trucks of the the 70s-90s handled and held the road a whole lot better than yours, but they'd go two sets of front balljoints before your truck would need any real front suspension work. The pre-94 Dodges were the weakest of the 3, Chevy in the middle.

The only F350s that had twin traction beam were 1980-1985. All the rest were solid axle. At least for the 4x4s, not sure about the 2wd trucks.

I'm only used to seeing hydroboost brakes on GM trucks. The P/S pump would pressureize power steering fluid in one chamber, and then the master cylinder would be next to it, and use DOT3 brake fluid.

I'm used to seeing a vacuum pump driven from the crankshaft in order to operate the conventional brake power booster, when dealing with Fords. This is also because Ford liked operating climate controls with vacuum servos, whereas GM preferred to use electric motors.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

The only F350s that had twin traction beam were 1980-1985. All the rest were solid axle. At least for the 4x4s, not sure about the 2wd trucks.

2WDs had them all along. The F-Superduty of the 90s (what would be a 450 now) used a beam axle in the front.

I believe the 2WD super duties still use the TTB. They did in the early 00s I hate it just because of the awkward ever-changing camber.

Thank you, I think they look good on the truck. This is the first one I think I've ever seen. I probably would prefer an extended cab or a crew but these trucks, at least in good shape, seem to be kind of hard to find.

The truck is all original from top to bottom, no performance mods which was what I was looking for.

Amir

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88

2WDs had them all along. The F-Superduty of the 90s (what would be a 450 now) used a beam axle in the front.

I believe the 2WD super duties still use the TTB. They did in the early 00s I hate it just because of the awkward ever-changing camber.

Technically, the 2WD is "Twin-I-Beam" and the 4x4 version is "Twin-Traction-Beam." The jounce-dependent camber is a PITA and is the reason for the wandering handling. Camber (and Caster maybe?) is also adjustable only by bending the I-beams. But its definitely rugged, which is why its been used for so long now.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Technically, the 2WD is "Twin-I-Beam" and the 4x4 version is "Twin-Traction-Beam." The jounce-dependent camber is a PITA and is the reason for the wandering handling. Camber (and Caster maybe?) is also adjustable only by bending the I-beams. But its definitely rugged, which is why its been used for so long now.

Allpar posted a picture of the potential next generation wrangler's front suspension. Looks a lot like this.

You don't need to bend beams to adjust caster or camber. There are adjustable camber/caster bushings that go around the upper ball joints.
alignment_bushings.JPG

Edit: Apparently the kingpin version needed to have the beams bent to adjust camber. Ball joint versions have the adjustable bushings.

Last edited:

You don't need to bend beams to adjust caster or camber. There are adjustable camber/caster bushings that go around the upper ball joints.
alignment_bushings.JPG

Edit: Apparently the kingpin version needed to have the beams bent to adjust camber. Ball joint versions have the adjustable bushings.

I knew that SOME version of the classic Ford front end required heavy artillery if it ever needed adjustment- but forgot which. I have a love/hate relationship with old Ford trucks. Never actually liked driving them very much, but could never refute that the chassis and front-end in particular would outlast GM/Chevy and Dodge by a pretty good margin- especially pounding around plowed fields the way trucks got used in our area. This was all pre-1980, mind you, but back then it was pretty clear that Ford had the strongest front-end (then Chevy/GM, bottom of the rung Dodge). Dodge Ford had the edge in big-block engines. All the smallblocks were evenly matched. Really the only problem we saw with drivetrains was that the GM big-blocks liked to bend pushrods, and just generally seemed more fragile- although you could get HUGE power out of them really easily. The Dodge front suspension really wasn't in the league with the others until the 1990s re-make, although it rarely broke outright. Just needed more alignments, more bushings, more ball joints, etc.

Thanks for the info, I will have to take a closer look at the suspension components. I do think it needs a new steering stabilizer though, which shouldn't be too much trouble to install, any recommendations on brand?

I presume I should also change out the bushings as well.

Amir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back