My (good as) new Cerwin Vega D5's

Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
I installed new rubber surrounds on the woofers and got everything cleaned up.
They work like new

Cerwin Vega D5 (1).JPG

Cerwin Vega D5 (2).JPG

I had a pair of D3's quite some time ago, yours are in significantly better shape! Great to see them so well cared for.

I've never re-foamed a set, but a friend of mine is currently doing an old set of Wharfdales. I was always curious about the process. Glad to see these were given another chance at life, rather than being discarded. Nice!

Not a big fan of the big woofered Cerwin-Vega speakers. They can move some air but always sounded muddy to my ear. Speaker preference is purely subjective. Looks like you did a great job on the repairs.

I've been hearing and reading a bunch of raves about elac speakers. I will have to endeavor to listen to them when I get a chance.
The new DBR-62 is pretty good:

Just make a note of this observation:
...the speaker will ask for current when the output voltage is very low. So you better have a beefy amplifier to drive this speaker.

Not a big fan of the big woofered Cerwin-Vega speakers. They can move some air but always sounded muddy to my ear. Speaker preference is purely subjective. Looks like you did a great job on the repairs.
I had D9 when I was an audiophile "snob" for "rock" speakers. I had picked them in a blind review with some very heady and pricey competition at an Audio store in Salem at the time. The source was a studio grade Sony DAT player running into a SUMO the 9 real class A amp - a refined brute.

I haven liked their later offerings listened to a decade ago, but these D9 were nice speakers and more listenable than the JBL L112 t over extended listening. They just sounded "right".

Bass was plenty tight, but not extended to much below 40hz. Tight bass? You need a good amp with good current drive and low output impedance. I think I had a Harvey Rosenberg NYAL MOSCODE 300 at the time with the source run straight in through a 5K alps log pot. - Ken

Did it myself
Good job! I wish they sold the gooped accordion surround like the old pro stuff used. Don't want to do it again! . I have to likely put new surround(s) on my Dahlquist M-907 studio monitors that use that old square magnet ADVENT woofer. The designer must have thought the upper bass of the woofer crossed well to the middler.

Enjoy! Papa, and lets hope they stay stuck!

When I was younger I owned some Savard 12" 3 way speakers, and some Series 3 Bose 901's. I also had a Kenwood KR-8050 receiver, TEAC reel to reel, and an AKAI tape deck. I had a Realistic 10 band EQ. I always found music sounds much better with mixed components. I had a Technics turntable that gathered dust. It needed work, so it never saw any action.

Back