My Freezer Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I know everyones done it. Had to see for myself. Mobil 1 10-30 and Chevron Supreme 10w-30.
I could tell no difference between the two. Both flowed well and no streaking etc. I expected the dino chevron to be thicker but it was not. Those of you who worried about the Chevron being thick, it was not in my test. Oil was in freezer for 48 hours. Should I have waited longer?

[ October 30, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: TR3-2001SE ]

Well..by definition they will both be the same at -25C (-13F) You would have to get several degrees below this to see a difference. You should see it at say-20F. What temp did you have it at??

I'm sure there will be many more doing really cold weather tests this winter when the outside temps bottom out. I'm sure there aren't too many freezers out there which can get as cold as an Alaska winter (I'm sure we must have some Alaskan readers who are willing to try this test for us)
smile.gif

Well the temp. was 20 degrees F or -6 degrees C.
This is about as cold as it ever gets in this area so I see why we can get by with 10w-30 oils.
I guess no worries with the 10w-30 chevron this winter in the Toyota and Mobil 1 in the Miata.

Patman, I will give it a try as soon as it gets cold. I have some urinalasis bottles in the garage that should work. BTW I toured the US Army Cold Region Test Lab several years ago. In the -55F chamber they had various oils in plastic containers all labeled, syn and conventional. Instead of pouring the oil they used ice cream sticks to stir and then pull up the oil. Very interesting, got me started on Mobil1 in the winter.

There are a number of ways to assess viscosity of a fluid. Some would not be too helpful to us, such as flow through a hole in a cup (Zahn, Shell cup). Brookfield viscometers measure the type of viscosity shown in the specs we see but are pretty expensive, I think it used to cost me $600 to get one repaired. One good, easy test is using a longer bottle, such as an olive bottle for the sample, and putting a ball bearing of appropriate size in it. When the bottle is inverted it is pretty easy to see which liquid allows the bearing to fall faster and even time it with a watch.

[ November 05, 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: dickwells ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back