My Dealer conversation-

I was lucky to help my sister get their RX at MSRP; I will say they offered really good money for their trade in RX.
This was Lexus somewhere near Tacoma, WA, last year.

Agreed
During cv19 I still got great deals...
Well below MSRP...
Probably not from a dealer you don't have a history with.

The dealerships have the upper hand by far in today's market.

Reactions: CKN
Probably not from a dealer you don't have a history with.

The dealerships have the upper hand by far in today's market.
I had no history with any of them.
The two Mitsubishis came from Green Bay WI and I am in MD.
New to VW ...50 miles away...
Just for clarification.
Shop hard and be open to alternatives.

new s.jpg

What a nothing sandwich of a post! The conversation was polite and, more importantly, took up how much of your time exactly? I‘m not seeing a reason for the incredulity!!!!!!! Is that too many !?

Ukraine is being bombed to nothing by a mad man and you’re complaining about a five minute text conversation that cost you exactly zero dollar bucks? Quintessential 1st world problem.

I don't play any of the dealerships games. No low payment, low interest rate games, etc. I either tell them I'm financing elsewhere or paying cash. I've walked out on many dealers in the past 45 years. When I bought my first new car in 1977 I was dealing directly with the dealership owners son and we were able to make the deal without even going in and sitting down $1000 off the sticker on a $7100 car. In 1984 I was going to buy a new truck and a salesman quoted me a price about $750 lower than the best price I'd been able to negotiate for the same truck at other dealers and this was his first negotiated offer. When I told him I'd take it he started back pedaling and trying to go up on his price. Took me about 2 seconds to turn and walk away. In 2005 I'd negotiated a price on a new car, the salesman had already filled out the paper work for me to sign and had filled the gas tank. I looked his numbers over and saw he'd added $300 to the negotiated price. I told him I'd pay the price I negotiated, not a penny more and walked out. He followed me to the door trying to talk me into buying it.

I had no history with any of them.
The two Mitsubishis came from Green Bay WI and I am in MD.
New to VW ...50 miles away...
Just for clarification.
Shop hard and be open to alternatives.

View attachment 91235
What were the buy dates? Things have been rapidly changing over the last 6 months.

What were the buy dates? Things have been rapidly changing over the last 6 months.
VW less than 4 months ago
Mitsui...got it last week
Mitsui..its on the lets talk vehicle thread..too lazy but a guess 6 to 8 months ago..

Trust me Zee I do know what I am talking about. Right now if somebody wanted this...here it is just now...no BS. Price..

Screenshot_20220303-195515(1).jpg

6 weeks ago I picked up my '22 Forester Limited in the color I wanted for $1000 Under MSRP, got a $500 Loyalty Coupon and got $25K for my stripped down '19 Crosstrek. Luck of the Draw.

VW less than 4 months ago
Mitsui...got it last week
Mitsui..its on the lets talk vehicle thread..too lazy but a guess 6 to 8 months ago..

Trust me Zee I do know what I am talking about. Right now if somebody wanted this...here it is just now...no BS. Price..
Don't worry, I believe you. Obviously, things are all over the map depending on what part of the country you're in. None of that going on where I shop for cars. :cautious:

What a nothing sandwich of a post! The conversation was polite and, more importantly, took up how much of your time exactly? I‘m not seeing a reason for the incredulity!!!!!!! Is that too many !?

Ukraine is being bombed to nothing by a mad man and you’re complaining about a five minute text conversation that cost you exactly zero dollar bucks? Quintessential 1st world problem.
You obviously missed the point of the post.

Direct sales: this is how much you are going to pay us and this is what you will get, we won't budge, take it or leave it.
Traditional: we have this car and this is 18xxx with this package and that package, now let's start negotiating.

Either way will work for me, I know I'm disciplined at my pricing and I am usually a pretty predatory bargain hunter, and usually prey on desperate dealers from a couple hundred miles away and I can wait a few months at a time. So far I did pretty well on my purchases in the last decade, but at this moment you really are competing with other buyers, direct sales won't save you money here in general. The only way to win right now is to not buy, and DIY repair what you already have.
That's what I do.

Back