My City Profiled in Latest "Rolling Stone"

Status
Not open for further replies.
and not in a super positive light...
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/where-the-tea-party-rules-20141014

and the Local Response article in the local Paper:
http://www.limaohio.com/news/news/50498726/Berger:-We-are-not-wallowing-in-self-pity

And The Local TV Station:
http://www.hometownstations.com/story/26787700/rolling-stone-magazine-features-allen-county

I've Not Finished reading the article, yet, but will list the industry we DO have...

1) Ford Lima Engine Plant. From Wikipedia :
"The factory was opened in 1957 as the site of production of Ford's MEL V8 for the Edsel car. It subsequently produced six-cylinder engines (the 170/200/250 family), the 385-series 370/429/460 big block V8 engines, the 2.3/2.5 L HSC/HSO (Pushrod) four-cylinder engines for the Ford Tempo, Mercury Topaz, and Ford Taurus and the 2.0/2.3/2.5 L OHC four-cylinder used in Ford Mustang, Ford Aerostar, Ford Ranger and Mazda B2300/B2500 compact trucks.

Today, Lima currently produces two engines: the 3.5 liter Duratec 35 and the 3.7 liter Duratec 37."
and Since that page was last edited, they Completely overhauled the space where the Vulcan Line was, and are making the new 2.7l EcoBoost for the 2015+ F150.
So if you do or have driven a vehilce with one of those engines, Thank Lima's Workers.

2)Right Next to the Ford Plant (and the Prison) is a Dana Driveshaft Plant.

3)across Town There is a Century old oil Refinery, Originally built by Standard Oil, and where the Process for Refining Sour (Sulfurous) Crude was Developed ( the Oil from here was so sulfurous it stank of Rotten Eggs)
after Standard Oil was Broken up, it was Run by SOHIO (Standard Oil of Ohio) until That Company was bought by BP in the late 80's. BP Ran the Refinery Until the Late 90's, then Decided to close it. an 11th hour Sale was Made to Clark oil to Keep the Refinery open. after a few years Clark Sold it To Premcor, Then Valero, who in the late 2000's Sold it to Canadian Petrochemical Company Husky, who have spent several Billion on upgrades, to handle such things as tar sands oil. (this refinery currently produces 25% of the Gasoline Sold in Ohio)

4)just to the east of the Refinery are the stalled early stages of a coal gasification/ power Plant, on the site of the Former Lima Locomotive Works.

5)on the Same Campus as the Refinery, is a "chemical" plant, (Vistron/BP Chemicals/ineos nitrlies)
Just East of the Refinery/Chemical Plant, is the Sole Tank plant in the US.

6)Lima Army Tank Plant/ Joint Systems Manufacturing Center
again From the Wikipedia
"In May 1941 construction began for Lima Army Tank Plant to manufacture centrifugally cast gun tubes in the steel foundry. This manufacturing method was rendered obsolete, so the Army converted it to a tank depot for modifying and processing combat vehicles for export and domestic shipping.

In November 1942, a GM subsidiary, United Motors Services, took over operation of the plant to process vehicles under government contract. The plant prepared many vehicles for Europe, including the M5 light tank and the M26 Pershing tank.

After World War II, as the Lima Ordnance Depot, the plant served as a receiving and long-term storage facility for returning combat vehicles. During the Korean War, the plant modified and prepared tanks for shipment."

and Since 1980 they have Built and since Refurbished/upgraded The Abrams Tank. if you've ever been in the Army, and in an Abrams Tank, it was Made in Lima.
They were to make the Marine Corps Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle but that Program was Cancelled.

7)one more large industrial in town off the top of my head, (not counting the countless small companies making parts for the auto industry(largely Honda)) Is Proctor and Gamble.
Lima has their Primary Liquid Laundry Bottling plant for North America. if you have purchased Tide Liquid in the Continental US, there is a greater than 95% Chance it was Bottled in Lima, Ohio. they also "invented" the Tide Pods @ the Lima Plant.

Last edited:
As a native Detroiter, all I can do is shrug my should and say "Meh".

It stings when somebody from the outside comes in and tries to tell you how it is in your own city, doesn't it? As a local, you're allowed to do it because you live it day in and day out. That gives you license to comment and pass judgement, but not outsiders.

Imagine how Detroiters felt in 2009, when every talking head was telling the nation that Detroit is a dump, unsalvageable, and should be put out of it's misery.

We know what you're feeling.

By the standards of the mag, Lima is not exactly a happening place.
Glad to hear that there are many propering manufacturing, packaging and distribution sites in the area.
What is the current unemployment level in Allen County?
Ohio as a whole has done pretty well in restoring the jobs lost after 2008, has a higher than national average rate of personal income growth at the moment and ranks 35th among states in personal income, above Florida and the Carolinas, among others.
As you know, this is also a very inexpensive place to live with housing prices remaining reasonable as they've always been.
Rolling Stone can bash Lima and by extention the rest of the smaller cities in this state as much as they please.
Those of us who live in Ohio know the story in a little more depth.

Have to realize Rolling Stone is pretty far left, way over there-symptomatic of the "new" America that (I feel) has lost sight of what got us where we are today. Hope that's not too political.

Industries and business culture change over the decades in any area of our country, look whats happening to the coal industry and their economy / towns affected.

Dailyjobcuts.com is a website I like visit to read what's happening across the USA.

Many people demonize the Tea Party without even knowing what it stands for.
The TP stands for balanced budgets and smaller government....while I'm not a member I really don't see how they are wrong.
Look at our governments handling of the Ebola crisis....PATHETIC.
The well being of Americans takes second fiddle to the rights of pandemic foreigners...go figure.
With government like that I'm all for LESS of it....

PS: Rolling Stone is about as biased as they come...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Have to realize Rolling Stone is pretty far left, way over there-symptomatic of the "new" America that (I feel) has lost sight of what got us where we are today. Hope that's not too political.

exactly - these are the same commie [censored] who profiled the Boston Bombers as sympathetic figures and put one on their cover as some teen-age heartthrob . . .

Ignore it. No one pays any attention to Rolling Stone magazine anyway and whatever credibility they may have once possessed they lost back in the 70s. Caring what a magazine, founded and run by aging hippies and written by liberal ideological sycophants and moronic social justice warriors, thinks should be at the the very bottom of your priority list.

Originally Posted By: Darren270
Ignore it. No one pays any attention to Rolling Stone magazine anyway and whatever credibility they may have once possessed they lost back in the 70s. Caring what a magazine, founded and run by aging hippies and written by liberal ideological sycophants and moronic social justice warriors, thinks should be at the the very bottom of your priority list.

Unfortunately, those "liberal ideological sycophants and moronic social justice warriors" are the majority in American acadamia (from pre-K to university) so our children are indoctrinated with this NONSENSE....

Blaming Rolling Stone is a defense mechanism. Specifically, dissociation.

Instead of reading the story and dissecting the content, everyone here has taken the easy way and attacked the publisher without a single comment about what was actually written.

It's really no wonder, considering it's much the same formula as Fox News and other bastions of conservative reporting. It's also lazy.

Originally Posted By: pbm
The TP stands for balanced budgets and smaller government....while I'm not a member I really don't see how they are wrong.

Another defense mechanism: Distortion - A gross reshaping of external reality to meet internal needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Instead of reading the story and dissecting the content, everyone here has taken the easy way and attacked the publisher without a single comment about what was actually written.

It's really no wonder, considering it's much the same formula as Fox News and other bastions of conservative reporting. It's also lazy.

Another defense mechanism: Distortion - A gross reshaping of external reality to meet internal needs.

Pretty much what you just did. Amazingly ironic.

Also of interest: Rolling Stone isn't biased, but Fox News is!

Let me see, let's start with the tag line:

Quote:
Lima, Ohio, has been struggling for decades – and the GOP’s radical policies are making it even worse

Yes OK. The Republicans are to blame. Where have we heard that before? Oh yeah, you guys tried to blame the CDC woes on that nasty bunch as well. It gets a little old. I wouldn't blame whatever issues may really be truly statistically prevalent in Lima, OH on any one party or another, but that article starts out with that. I think rather than take the writer's word for what the actual problems are there, some independent research might be in order. Then maybe, look for true root causes.

Pretty much a hack article singling out some folks with lots of debt. Surely that must be the fault of the TEA party!

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Yes OK. The Republicans are to blame. Where have we heard that before? Oh yeah, you guys tried to blame the CDC woes on that nasty bunch as well. It gets a little old.

Pretty much a hack article singling out some folks with lots of debt. Surely that must be the fault of the TEA party!

I didn't comment on anything concerning the article other than expressing empathy with the OP.

I merely made an observation about the comment trends and their parallels with mainstream conservative media. I certainly didn't blame anybody for Lima's woes.

I found another defense mechanism: Identifying me as "you guys" is a direct implication that I share some unidentified viewpoint about the CDC. Considering I made no such comment or otherwise involved any topic outside of what has so far been discussed in this thread, that's projection.

Nice topic hijack though.

defense mechanism: Distortion...projection

I didn't comment on anything concerning the article other than expressing empathy with the OP.

I merely made an observation about the comment trends and their parallels with mainstream conservative media. I certainly didn't blame anybody for Lima's woes.

I found another defense mechanism: Identifying me as "you guys" is a direct implication that I share some unidentified viewpoint about the CDC. Considering I made no such comment or otherwise involved any topic outside of what has so far been discussed in this thread, that's projection.

Nice topic hijack though.

Well said and nicely written. We all know real Amoor-icans don't read anymore...no need with FOX news around to spoon feed their opinions to them.

I always enjoy a visit to Fair Radio Sales.

Never even picked up a copy of Rolling Stone, so can't comment on it.

I got through several pages of the article and it seemed like they were living the American Dream and got all kinds of lucky breaks. Didn't even get hints about a Tea Party connection which is weird considering the title.

Lima's economy seems more diverse than "wood pulp and tourists" as my local one endures.

I read the entire Rolling Stone article and didn't think Lima was bashed.

Like I said before ALL industries change. Temp and Contracted labor is a lower paid workforce with no benefits (the 29'ers due to ACA) its a way for any company to maximize profits. The real unemployment number is much higher than what our Gov states. When 11,000 people apply at a new Walmart Super Center, something is very wrong.

dailyjobcuts.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back