My Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:
Wow....this is a first for me too. But something I saw in a magazine a while back intrigued me. Jeep was selling an AWD mountain bike. Anyone here have any experience with that? I bet it was a heavy b*tch.

It's a gimmicky pig of a bike. Stay away from it.

PS Mori: Take that mirror off. Do it right now.

I usually have to go a couple miles on city streets when I ride the bike. I need a mirror there, because, unlike you, I don't have eyes in the back of my head, and drivers here will brush against cyclists. The mirror comes off when I'm off-road for a while.
wink.gif

quote:

It's a gimmicky pig of a bike. Stay away from it.

Wouldn't that make that Jeep bike ideal for fat people? I mean, the extra excercise won't hurt if you want to lose weight.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
.....There's really high quality stuff, but the prices are outragous. People drop 5 or 7 grand for bikes!
shocked.gif

Who.....me?.......Well, I uhhh, you see it's just......the......uhhh......I've got this condition.......Oh, OK I confess!; I'm one of the guilty. When I purchased my latest mountain bike, it cost more than the car I was driving was worth at the time. With the current upgrades, it definitely falls into the outrageous category, & worth every last penny.
smile.gif

At least a lot of the expensive items were made in the good old USA:
Frame handbuilt in Ramona, California
Fork & Shock (Fox) made in California
Thomson Seatpost made in Georgia
Easton carbon fiber handlebar made in USA (I think)
Most everything else is either European or Asian

Oh, yeah one more thing: If any of you is ever interested, there is a company called "Christini" that makes a very high-quality full suspension all-wheel drive mountain bike. It is very expensive & works very well.

Cheers.

wavinwayne., you may spend as much as you want on your bike -- especially if you ride competitively, buying the best equipment you can afford makes sense.

My observation is that occasional weekend riders with fat wallets (or overdrawn credit cards?) spend thousands on bikes they never use to their full potential. Often they don't even know how to set up stuff properly. They als tend to get bored and move on to the next toy. Sure, it's their money, but they still are fools in my eyes. We got a very exclusive bike shop in SF. I recently found out that even the bike mechanics were as clueless as their customers. The tech didn't know what a track nut was, even after I drew him a picture.

The Christini's drive uses spiral bevel gears similar to the one in my bike, but of course the 2WD is much more complex. Since the Christini's gears are open, I wonder what kind off wear issues there are. Also, what grease is used? Finding the right grease for my shaftdrive was kind of tricky.

Australian, what else?
wink.gif

Maybe Scandinavian (Yeah, yeah, Scandinavia is commonly lumped in with Europe, but all my buddy Aimo hates that)? Helkama makes bike componets and bikes. I think they may have that bike that works for shopping at the market: Check out the Trans 2000.

-

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
There's really high quality stuff, but the prices are outragous. People drop 5 or 7 grand for bikes!
shocked.gif
[/QB]

It's worth every penny if you ride as much as I do.

Brons2, look what I said to wavinwayne a few posts up, because you obviously missed my clarification.
wink.gif

Trek Madone SSL 5.9 - $8K

The new Madone 6.9 is a sub 900 gram frame... probably gonna run $10K.

I have $1,500 in my road bike. That's plenty for now!
smile.gif

good point.

I choose a quality point, not a price point. I am going to get the equipment I need, whether it costs $500 or $5000.

*you can lower the prices in this sport by going to internet vendors and eBay. Most local bike shops charge 100% markup on all spare parts. You can see this in the QBP catalog.

shaft drive? Holy crap, that's wild. Sorry, just never seen one personally. I'm a mtb (x country) fanatic and love spending weekends on my bike. Just a simple Oryx hardtail 27 speed, with a tig welded aluminum frame, with the same marzocchi fork.

I'b be surprised if shaft drive ever made it into mtb mainstream. I assume it weighs more then a chain and rings does, but I could be wrong.

webfors, have you ever rebuilt that fork? I have downloaded the Marzocchi manual, but it doesn't mention what components are included in the rebuild kit. Also, it is an air fork, but it does have SSV. Doesn't the SSV mechanism require an oil bath?

CBD, my bike has RWD, the Christini, which costs probaly 10 times more, has AWD.
wink.gif

Anyway, let me show you guys why I chose an enclosed shaft drive and internal hub gearing over a chain drive and external shifting mechanism. Click for larger images:

-

-

That's how much dust and sand I get after just 10 minutes of road riding in my area. I also go riding on dusty trails and occasionally on the beach. Add salty air and dust devils, and the sand and dust problem gets worse. With my setup, daily maintenance is now reduced to wiping down and lubing the fork stanchions.

Every ten minutes?

I don't consider cleaning the bike as part of maintenance. I keep the bike reasonably clean. The kind of dirt you see in the picture, I will remove after every ride, but wash, wax and polish I will not.
wink.gif

[ July 28, 2006, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Moots YBB.
I love this bike. I've never seen welds as beautiful as these anywhere - just incredible.
I don't ride much anymore though, since I suddenly realized that I'm old!! My body just won't take it very well anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back