My arctic adventure AKA "OMG I'm gonna die"

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two issues here;

1. He stated he has no snow experience, therefore he needs a vehicle with a lot of margin. Rent one, before starting out in snow in Iowa, with a pickup.

2. A 2wd Ranger (with a manual) is not a big deal in winter with the proper tires (these are not) and weight in the back, if you have a lot of experience. I know, I have one and have been driving it in upstate NY snow for 11 years. Just go the speed that the vehicle grips both forward and sideways.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Iowa's flat, right?

Yeah, compared to the mountains, but still hilly enough to get someone in real trouble.

I would say Iowa is flat - in some places (lots of Northern Iowa). In other places, it had pretty good sized hills - not talking mountains, but good sized hills. Anyone driving I-80 in western Iowa knows all about the hills when passing trucks on the up hill and having them blow by on the downhills.

Get a can of something like this: http://tyre-grip.com/ and maybe a bag of sand just in case you get stuck. There's a 90% chance that the roads will be free and clear and you won't have any trouble at all getting around. It doesn't snow around the clock in Iowa (even in February).

What with modern technology and all, plus the interweb, you can check the weather all the way up to where you're going right from the comfort of your cellphone. If it looks bad, make other plans or drive a fwd. Fly and rent a car. Anything but what you have on hand.

A couple of thoughts... Sandbags that get wet or are damp will freeze solid as a rock, and you'll have 75lb rocks sliding around in yuor truck bed. I have a wooden structure that mine lay in to keep them stationary.

Sandbags in the wayfar back of the bed 1) lighten the front end, and 2) cause even more momentum to get swinging when the back end starts to come out and around on you. Best to put them either directly over or slightly in front of the rear axle. When I go out to find people to pull out of snowy situations I place four over the axle and four more under the truck tool box. That usually does the trick.

Originally Posted By: Rouphis
I am a native Floridian. I have never saw snow, on the ground. I did see it in the air once, but that is a different story.

This February my and my fiancee' will be taking a road trip. To Iowa, and we will be staying for about one week. Aparently, February is not Iowa's tourist season.

We will be going in my 1990 Ford Ranger, With rear wheel abs, and an open rear. I have brand new Michelin Hydroedges (for Florida's horrid weather). I am very experienced in low traction situations. But again, I have never seen ice nor sleet nor snow.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure exactly what sleet is.

What should I do to prepare for such adventure? I know that tire chains are a must. But what else.

-Rouphis

I don't think most people in the world think Iowa is a tour destination. People just don't say "I want to visit Iowa when I grow up." They tend to think of Florida when singing the above tune.

If you're getting chains, make sure they are legal in the area you're using them. You also need to practice putting them on and off in your yard while in Florida. You can get the average price on for about $30 per pair.

Just make sure you have more than half tank at all time while in cold climate. Gas may not be as cheap as Florida so beware. You guys have very cheap gas, cheaper than VA. Be mindful that some part of the midwest don't have gas station every stone throw distance like Florida or even rural areas. I have been to West Texas and on some road, there is no gas for 150 miles stretch and the price is very high. My rental car was a Jeep Compass which is horrible on gas was refilled each time before we get on I-10 and think we're going to depart El Paso.

I am not sure about Iowa gun law so check it out if you're going heat. At a bare minimum, bring a long knife and a #5 iron for protection. You do need some winter clothes and keep a comforter in your cab just in case. Costco sells the 12 and 24 pack of sterno (it's much cheaper per unit but only last about 1.5 hrs instead of 4 and doesn't put out nearly as much heat), get a 24 pack and keep 2 under the seat and the rest in the bed. If you have a camper cover for the truck, you can really make it enjoyable at rest stop along the way. Otherwise, just throw a 5 gallon jerry can in there and don't use it unless you have to.

Stay on main road and don't rely on GPS unit too much. My new unit, which isn't nearly as easy to use as the one my friend has, will tell you to take mountain path not meant for traffic. You may recall the editor of CNet die and his family nearly suffer the same fate because he took a wrong road. After carefully reviewing their route and final location, it is likely that his GPS could have told him to use that because they're very close to their cabin lodging when they got stuck in the snow.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
lol...and a couple coffee cans to pee in.

My mom would want you to have a thermal blanket and a couple candles as well.

But for real man, relax, add the weight of the sand bags over your rear axle and SLOW down as conditions warrant. There is no secret weapon other than your own common sense on the road, and winter tires...but that expense would seem pretty steep for such short use.

I use Gatorade bottles for that and make sure I only buy red and purple kind to know which is which.

I know if you have no choice and have to go, but.....

Drving in a place that gets heavy winter weather, having never driven in snow before, is just asking for trouble.

Handling ANY car, RWD, AWSD, FWD in snow is a skill, and one that comes with practice. without it, in the dead of winter, you're just asking for trouble.

Any chance there is someone with you who's driven in snow before?

I can't take it anymore.... by February the sun is getting much higher and even if there is a big snowfall, the roads will be plowed right away and the strong sun will be melting any ice or snow patches away in very short order. (The sun will be as high in the sky in mid-February as it is in the middle of October.)

Chains are not required. My son drives a 2WD Ford Ranger all winter long without snow tires or extra weight in the box. In my 50 years here in Minnesota, I have not seen chains... ever. They are simply not required because the roads are plowed during snowfall events and usually cleared before it is done snowing.

Now if there are high winds with snowfall and limited visibility, then stay off the roads if you are not comfortable, and let the road crews finish their snowplowing.

If I was to make a prediction - there might not be any snow on the ground south of Des Moines in mid February this year. They might get some snow - but it won't last long.

I would rent a nice FWD car to save on the wear and tear of yours (you will make up the difference in fuel costs) and don't sweat it. Enjoy the scenery and the hospitality of the fine folks of Iowa.

if stuck in snow overnight, do not idle engine while asleep for heat. you can suffocate as the snow builds around bottom of car and exhaust comes in through hvac intake.

also, if stranded in snow, do NOT strike out on foot unless you KNOW you are very, very, VERY close to civilization. Stay in the vehicle.

Blankets, blankets, food, water, water, and Blankets.

Originally Posted By: meep
if stuck in snow overnight, do not idle engine while asleep for heat. you can suffocate as the snow builds around bottom of car and exhaust comes in through hvac intake.

also, if stranded in snow, do NOT strike out on foot unless you KNOW you are very, very, VERY close to civilization. Stay in the vehicle.

Blankets, blankets, food, water, water, and Blankets.

CNet editor found that in a hard way. All of the schooling in the world couldn't save him. He walked in circle for days and died while his family was found almost dead next to the car. I guess they could figure out that they could start a fire with all the woods surrounding them. If needed to, set that [censored] forest on fire, that's one way to get emergency service people come out fast.

Originally Posted By: 757guy
I can't take it anymore.... by February the sun is getting much higher and even if there is a big snowfall, the roads will be plowed right away and the strong sun will be melting any ice or snow patches away in very short order. (The sun will be as high in the sky in mid-February as it is in the middle of October.)

Chains are not required. My son drives a 2WD Ford Ranger all winter long without snow tires or extra weight in the box. In my 50 years here in Minnesota, I have not seen chains... ever. They are simply not required because the roads are plowed during snowfall events and usually cleared before it is done snowing.

Now if there are high winds with snowfall and limited visibility, then stay off the roads if you are not comfortable, and let the road crews finish their snowplowing.

If I was to make a prediction - there might not be any snow on the ground south of Des Moines in mid February this year. They might get some snow - but it won't last long.

I would rent a nice FWD car to save on the wear and tear of yours (you will make up the difference in fuel costs) and don't sweat it. Enjoy the scenery and the hospitality of the fine folks of Iowa.

You are from the cold region, OP is from sunny Florida. I bet you can't survive the heat and humidity of Florida in the summer if you don't know what you're doing. People die from heat just as they are from cold even though cold kills quicker and much harder to avoid.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord

I am not sure about Iowa gun law so check it out if you're going heat. At a bare minimum, bring a long knife and a #5 iron for protection. You do need some winter clothes and keep a comforter in your cab just in case. Costco sells the 12 and 24 pack of sterno (it's much cheaper per unit but only last about 1.5 hrs instead of 4 and doesn't put out nearly as much heat), get a 24 pack and keep 2 under the seat and the rest in the bed. If you have a camper cover for the truck, you can really make it enjoyable at rest stop along the way. Otherwise, just throw a 5 gallon jerry can in there and don't use it unless you have to.

Both of us have Florida CWP, and as of Jan 1. 2011, it will be valid there. In fact gun laws played a huge part in out trip choice. We are avoiding Ill. like the plague.

We do have a camper. So worst comes to worst, its napping time.

In response to 757 guy: Do you know what route the OP is taking to and from Iowa? Are there any mountain passes along the way that may require either adequate winter tires, chains, or 4WD? I don't know since we haven't discussed the route, but there is more to this than just Iowa. Out west, one of those three is often required in the wintertime (5+ year Colorado Resident). Just because nobody here uses chains (well, our municipal snowplow fleet does) doesn't mean they are obsolete elsewhere. We don't allow studded tires here either but they are perfectly legal in a lot of the rest of the country too.

Also, your point about the sun being stronger during the day can be true, but what about ice storms? I've driven through a few of those in Iowa and they are not fun, even in the daytime.

As others have noted, if you have flexibility to move dates around, you can work around the weather. If not, I'd rent a car.

Never understood the idea of needing to carry protection either, but that's neither here nor there...

Last edited:
You are from the cold region, OP is from sunny Florida. I bet you can't survive the heat and humidity of Florida in the summer if you don't know what you're doing. People die from heat just as they are from cold even though cold kills quicker and much harder to avoid.

Yeah, right. It never gets hot or humid in Iowa or Minnesota during the summer.

CNet editor found that in a hard way. All of the schooling in the world couldn't save him. He walked in circle for days and died while his family was found almost dead next to the car. I guess they could figure out that they could start a fire with all the woods surrounding them. If needed to, set that [censored] forest on fire, that's one way to get emergency service people come out fast.

With all due respect to James Kim's family, what happened to him was the result of his own incompetence. He was far off the regularly traveled roadways and had no business endangering his family like that. He needed a good dose of common sense more than he needed his GPS and other technical toys.

The fact that the original poster is asking the questions he is this far in advance tells me he has a lot more common sense than James Kim did.

I don't think most people in the world think Iowa is a tour destination. People just don't say "I want to visit Iowa when I grow up." They tend to think of Florida when singing the above tune.

And we prefer it that way. It keeps the riff raff out of the state.

Couple of things:

If you never drove in snow, I'd really, really, really, really rethink driving a 2wd Ranger. My Dakota is 2wd with a manual and I only drive it in the snow if I have absolutely no choice.

You're focusing on the weather at your destination, but don't forget about the possible conditions on the way there, specifically in the area ranging from Tennessee to north of Indianapolis. Many times when we up here are getting hit with snow, they're getting ice, and that's way worse. I had a family member who moved to Indianapolis for a couple of years and they said that they'd rather have a foot of snow than the freezing rain because it's worse to drive on.

Common sense will get you far, and no matter what you drive, take it easy if you hit snow and you should be fine.

Not only slow down when driving on snow, but leave LOTS of distance between you and any vehicle ahead, and don't change direction abruptly. Ease into everything. I drove my RWD Mercedes W126 in snow sessions in the Denver metro area, and was fine without snow tires, chains, or studs as long as I took it easy. But I never went out into the country or up in the mountains in snowy conditions.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Yeah, right. It never gets hot or humid in Iowa or Minnesota during the summer.

With all due respect to James Kim's family, what happened to him was the result of his own incompetence. He was far off the regularly traveled roadways and had no business endangering his family like that. He needed a good dose of common sense more than he needed his GPS and other technical toys.

The fact that the original poster is asking the questions he is this far in advance tells me he has a lot more common sense than James Kim did.

And we prefer it that way. It keeps the riff raff out of the state.

Iowa doesn't get the same kind of humidity as Florida. Trust me, it is very bad. You can fight the heat by just staying in the shade but humidity will wear you down to nothing.

Jame Kim traveled that route many times as part of his family vacation to see other relatives. On this particular trip, he took the route his GPS unit, which may not be the same unit he used on his last trip due to him being a gadget king, and that path didn't have the chain link up. Normally, fire road, hiking and horse trail, and emergency route have a chain link up to prevent them from being used as normal route.

I can't figure out what James couldn't figure out that path was not meant to be traveled on since it wouldn't be plowed or has any fresh tire tracks. Around here, we have Shenandoah National Park with one main road called Skyline Drive, which is closed if it snow. However, there are paths and trails reachable by 4x4 and horses and they are meant for emergency personnel or skill hikers/campers. A GPS will tell people to take those paths even though such paths shouldn't be listed as normal roads. My first time up there I couldn't find the turn my GPS tells me so I pull over and tracked on foot right near the exit should be. I found a path hidden behind the bushes with a chain link over it. I came back to the same are in fall and winter and that path is visible because the leaves are all gone. I can see how an inexperience young person can take such path if they think their vehicle can take it. James drove a Saab, aka Euro Pontiac in my opinion, and couldn't make it very far.

I guess you are correct that he didn't have common sense because he should track back to main road instead of going off into the woods and play redneck when it's not in his blood. I always thought he knew his stuffs from reading his CNet articles and he had a huge following even from the earlier day of Tech TV. He owns a little groceries story too so you would think this guy is no dummy. I guess he got caught up with the Kalicrapnia image and drive a Saab instead of a good Toyota 4Runner or Land Cruiser if he likes to take winter vacations that require driving through the wilderness.

I do like your point about riff-raf. We have a lot of them here and they are from the New England, New York, and northern area. They tend to be the one in the ditch first every winter.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Not only slow down when driving on snow, but leave LOTS of distance between you and any vehicle ahead, and don't change direction abruptly. Ease into everything. I drove my RWD Mercedes W126 in snow sessions in the Denver metro area, and was fine without snow tires, chains, or studs as long as I took it easy. But I never went out into the country or up in the mountains in snowy conditions.

In my Corolla, I leave in in Low for city driving because that reduce the frequency of hitting the brake, which is not ABS and has rear drum. Actually, I think drum brake on non-ABS cars may be better than disc in the snow because the drum keep the snow and element out. I just know that using less brake is the answer in the snow for non-ABS vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back