mustang gt synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Im new on this forum. I was hoping you guys could help me figure something out...

I bought an 05 Mustang GT that I purchased late 2007. Since I've owned it Ive put only 3600 miles because its not my daily driver and I dont drive it in winter at all. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 5w20 after I hit 3k. I was wondering, since I rarely drive the car, would it be wasteful to change the oil every spring with Amsoil 0w20? I also go to the drag strips in summer as well. What do you guys think?

btw the car has 23600 miles

As a Mustang guy myself, if you race it I'd stay with the 5w-20. Every spring should be fine. Unless you rack up most of the miles a 1/4 mile at a time.

I would say yes it's wasteful, I would fill the tranny/diff with amsoil or the like since you drag it. I swear my T5 is still alive because of the amsoil in it (stupid 3rd gear sync again).

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

I will go with other posters and recommend Amsoil changed yearly. A darn tough oil.

You might consider their SSO 0w30, which is on the thinner side of a 30 weight. It's their most robust oil before you get into the HDEO, and Racing oils.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's their most robust oil before you get into the HDEO, and Racing oils.

Do racing oils generally have a more robust add pack?

No, they generally have less detergents because they are made to be changed more frequently. They do stand up to heat and wear better IMO and are designed for extremely high horsepower engines.

If you are using it for yearly purposes as stated you would be better off with a non-racing oil.

If you choose to change it out at the end of each race then I would use a racing-oil.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back