Multiple Wifi APs - can they use same SSID and handoff the max signal automatically?

so i should uncheck this?-- still occasionally a noob.
All APs are hardwired and powered by a unifi dreammachine pro.
Anything else I should consider changing?
Does it even do anything if they are all hardwired?
Currently using 1 lite and 1 LR ap(s)
View attachment 118850
If you don't use mesh, then set "enable meshing" to off.

Are the Ubiquiti units to be installed on ceiling only?
No, you can put them pretty much anywhere they won't get run over.

I estimate the building length from one side to the other is approx 400'.
Are you trying to cover the entire building with wifi or just where the workstations are?

We're also looking to broadcast Wi-Fi into our loading area (which is outside the rear of the building) as far as possible, which I thought one of the Unifi LR would be fine for, mounted on that side of the building.
How large of any area outside are you trying to cover with wifi?

Are you trying to cover the entire building with wifi or just where the workstations are?
Ideally we'd like to cover the whole shop space. Right now the only wifi coverage we have comes from an older Linksys 802.11G router located in the office, which is in the far corner of the building, behind a wall. Surprisingly, it reaches out about 1/4 of the building length where you get a usable signal.

The building isn't terribly wide, something like 80'.

How large of any area outside are you trying to cover with wifi?

Where we load trucks (and where guys with tablets will want to record stuff) is probably up to 100' past the end of the building, in a 60' radius or so. If there's a better way to cover that area than installing a Unify LR AP, I'm all ears. We also have an adjacent building about 200' away that is on the opposite side of that loading area... that building doesn't necessarily need to have Wi-Fi, but if it helps blanket the outside loading area with good coverage, it might be worthwhile to run ethernet over there to install another AP.

What is your budget?
I like my unifi gear and just barely scratch its potential.
but there are more commercial solutions out there if there is enough budget. (understatement)

What is your budget?
I like my unifi gear and just barely scratch its potential.
but there are more commercial solutions out there if there is enough budget. (understatement)
I'd say the budget is probably $1K +/-. Spending more than that would probably have to be justified in some way, but I think a Ubiquiti setup would be just fine for the area we're trying to cover. No real need for super high speed (no large data transfers), so I imagine this would be future proofed quite a bit even on this modest budget.

I'd say the budget is probably $1K +/-. Spending more than that would probably have to be justified in some way, but I think a Ubiquiti setup would be just fine for the area we're trying to cover. No real need for super high speed (no large data transfers), so I imagine this would be future proofed quite a bit even on this modest budget.
you using a Poe Switch or injectors? You might need some planning to deal with the cable runs not being too long or dealing with interference in an industrial environment?

The LR requires IIRC upto 15w vs the lite which is 9w. The AP works best in certain orientations.. top down is best but you can certainly mount them in other orientations at a loss of range.

Disclaimer: numbers from memory
FYI the AP's dont come with the poe injectors anymore and you need to find the right ones they used to be sorta hidden on the website.. there is about 10 models for their different equipment.

In your setup a poe switch makes way more sense except if you are wirelessly meshing to get a corner spot or somewhere its hard to wire to.

They also have some niche devices that might ease cabling issues if you dont have $$$ to do it the best way..
such as the unifi 6 in wall AP that has built in switch and POE in/out.

Last edited:
you using a Poe Switch or injectors? You might need some planning to deal with the cable runs not being too long or dealing with interference in an industrial environment?

The LR requires IIRC upto 15w vs the lite which is 9w. The AP works best in certain orientations.. top down is best but you can certainly mount them in other orientations at a loss of range.

Disclaimer: numbers from memory
FYI the AP's dont come with the poe injectors anymore and you need to find the right ones they used to be sorta hidden on the website.. there is about 10 models for their different equipment.

In your setup a poe switch makes way more sense except if you are wirelessly meshing to get a corner spot or somewhere its hard to wire to.

They also have some niche devices that might ease cabling issues if you dont have $$$ to do it the best way..
such as the unifi 6 in wall AP that has built in switch and POE in/out.
We're probably going to purchase a couple POE+ (or whatever the new ~35W standard is which the LR requires) switches; still have to research that. We have a POE switch in the office for VOIP telephones and such but the cable runs would be too far. The POE+ switches will replace our couple existing switches located in the shop that connect our CNC machines, so it should be a reasonable cable length from there to the APs.

The struggle has been finding the stuff in stock, though Amazon seems to have them at a significant price premium. Chip shortage, ya know...

POE+ is the requirement for the 6-LR
Poe+ is 30watt iirc and the LR is max 16.5w consumption

Many of those switches will be 8 port poe+ upto XXX watts combined
but while you need poe+ the actual load per port will be no where near 30W
so you dont need
For example they have 8 port switches with 4 poe+ ports and 64watts max.. that would power 3 6-LR's

Poe has a max spec but the wattage is not the wattage delivered the the device.

POE is 15.4w max but it wont reliably power some devices over 13W

If you are already wired with non-poe switches you are good to go.. that hugely simplifies the wiring.
if you knew all this ;)

After I said all that I realized I could find a chart that would be more helpful so here is chart!

image_2022-09-29_180120018.png

Last edited:
Just ensure mesh enabled. Same ssid sometimes the client device or router hang onto connection for dear life and the experience is miserable.

Should not admit to this group I bought Google Wifi. 4 with Ethernet backhaul connected to 30 devices. I have had for 4 years and done nothing to them. They self manage. No interest in networking. It the first time I have not minded Wifi , previous Cisco , linksys, TP-Link all miserable to work with(lockups, software updates manually, dropping, config).

Just ensure mesh enabled. Same ssid sometimes the client device or router hang onto connection for dear life and the experience is miserable.

Should not admit to this group I bought Google Wifi. 4 with Ethernet backhaul connected to 30 devices. I have had for 4 years and done nothing to them. They self manage. No interest in networking. It the first time I have not minded Wifi , previous Cisco , linksys, TP-Link all miserable to work with(lockups, software updates manually, dropping, config).
As indicated by @wwillson Meshing (assuming the proper language is being used) is for wireless communication between AP's, which is unnecessary with wired backhauls.

This is the pop-up you see on Meraki gear when you hit the info mouse-over for meshing:
Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 4.02.32 PM.jpg

There is an alternative to Unifi, which I use at my house. Check out the TP-Link Omada. It also uses a controller, very similar interface, and features. It will also handle roaming. It's much cheaper than Unifi.

They have ceiling and wall mount AP's.

Been using it for several years at my parents, it's been rock stable.

There is an alternative to Unifi, which I use at my house. Check out the TP-Link Omada. It also uses a controller, very similar interface, and features. It will also handle roaming. It's much cheaper than Unifi.

They have ceiling and wall mount AP's.

Been using it for several years at my parents, it's been rock stable.
I wouldn't use TP-Link (or D-Link for that matter) in a commercial environment (though I've had to remove lots of it, so clearly people do). Ubiquiti is already at the value-level tier, going down several rungs to Chinese product whose primary market is home users would be unwise in my professional opinion.

I’ve had good service from UniFi hardware for the most part. I’ve used multiple APs in my home for a decade, and helped install in 2 homes and a small office. Their cosmos integrates well, they are like the apple of soho networks.

I’ve used them at home without a hardware controller - i use the windows application controller software to configure them and they just work until the next time. Ive known 4 of their POE switches in use, and one failed from a weak capacitor in the power supply. Their technical support was dismal. For POE switches, for me it’s either Cisco, or something cheaper with separate POE injectors. If you’re on a budget, used Dell Powerconnect switches can be had for cheap on Amazon, and these are solid like old Cisco gear. Multi-port POE injectors are not expensive, and now that I’ve seen what lightning can do to Ethernet when it hits nearby, I’m fine not having all that $$ stuck into a non-port-blocking POE switch.

i like the features in their surveillance kit, however the intelligence sits in the cameras, not the software, which makes them proprietary. For non-IT folks, it’s not a bad way to go. If you want a 12 camera commercial setup, I think there are better options to consider.

but as far as their WiFi, they work great, don’t need a controller to play, mesh well if you need to, and rarely fail. They Do fail, however, over time. Just not as frequently as the stuff I used to buy at Walmart.

Yep.

Another option are the HP Aruba InstantON AP's, which cluster and support fast roam but one of the AP's becomes the controller (they were this way with the previous Instant series too, but not cloud managed) and they, like Ubiquiti, are very cost-effective. You just manage them through your phone cloud app, ridiculously simple and very good for smaller deployments.
I’ve been very happy with mine, working off a beamed signal from a few hundred feet away. It’s great at letting me know if the signal (rarely) drops, and re-establishing everything properly.

Get Unifi and you won't go wrong. I have about 15 Unifi access points at a church camp. Most of the access points are on telephone poles. Use POE to power the access points. Wire the access points. You can run 100m of CAT6 cable from a POE switch to an access points. Unifi sells several WIFI 6 access points. I would go for those.

Unifi also sells some extenders which I have used also.

People walk around the church camp popping from one access points to another. They never know.

But some CAT6 cable and passthrough connectors and get some experience crimping connectors.

I use Platnium passthrough connectors and a Platnium crimper.

I manage the Unifi network at the church camp from my cell phone wherever I happen to be.

In my experience if you have Unifi everything, it should be seamless. The issues arise, at least in my testing when you start mixing and matching access points and wireless repeaters from different brands. MASSIVE PITA and unusable.

Back