Multi-oil comparison for Nissan 350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsuited oils for this application? At least in 2006 Nissan recommended that the oil only be ISLAC GF-1 or API SG/SH or more current ISLAC or API spec. So if a oil that was formulated in 1992 was good enough for a 350Z that was manufactured in 2006 I doubt that current off the shelf Castrol GTX is unsuited for this application. If the factory recommended OCI is followed. I doubt any ISAC GF-1 oil could stay in grade and retain TBN as well as any GF-4,5 oil.

You are well aware that some oils hold up better in some applications than do others, without regard to either ILSAC or API standards.
Standards are minimums, not optimums, and some older API specs, which allow for higher additive levels in the thirty grade may provide better protection for some engines than do API SM or SN oils.
Nissan can only specify what is available when the car is sold based upon some widely accepted standard, since Nissan lacks its own oil specs.

Well I do not get your argument because less wear over the same miles used is a better performance indicator in my book. The only point I would care about TBN and oxidation is if I was wanting to extended my OCI's further. So if there is further data presented we can discuss the value of the lubricants chosen.

Hi,
tquill - Thanks for your info. It is always wise to remember what is possible and what is not. When looking at Wear Metal numbers in a UOA you are looking at parts per million.

There are so many variables in such non-clinical comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back