MTD walk behind mower carburetor fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week while mowing my yard I shut off the B&S Quantum powered MTD mower to go into the house. When I returned to continue mowing I could not restart the mower. This mower ALWAYS starts on one pull, so I was baffled. I removed the lead on the kill switch lead (more on this modification later) and it eventually coughed to life so I assumed it was the lead shorting on something and shielded it with some loom I had lying around.

Then while mowing the neighbor ladies yard the same day I shut the mower off to unwrap morning glory vines from her rhubarb plant and I heard something odd, like a bottle draining. I looked over and saw gas running from the air cleaner housing and new the needle was not closing.

I did not get pictures so I had to borrow pics from Skin on Garage Journal.

I removed the carb and tore it down, and found the float sitting at about a 45* angle while holding the carb upside down, no good, swollen viton seat. Yesterday I picked up a needle and seat from town for four dollars and change.

Luckily My carb was in perfect working order and I did not need to clean it, it was already as clean as this one. I removed the old swollen seat with a drywall screw.

I then pressed the new seat in with a 13/64" drill bit, making sure to press it in groove first, or away from the needle.

Then I loaded the needle onto the float, set the float and needle in place, inserted the hinge pin, and installed the bowl and jet/bolt.

I've read and heard many times that the primer bulb equipped Quantums absolutely need a new gasket behind the filter housing, but I guess I got lucky reusing mine. As it primes great.

I picked this mower up for free, it was partially disassembled in the neighbors yard, and the land lord gave it to me for free when the tenant moved out.

After fixing it with an air filter and spark plug I cannibalized from other free (JUNK) mowers I had it running in perfect order.

A while later the engine brake/kill switch cable seized, so I removed the mechanism and installed a kill switch from an old chainsaw. As I am the only one who runs this mower I am not so concerned about removing this safety feature.

Less than $5.00 and I should have a good running mower for a couple of years anyway. My wife was ready to buy another mower but I did not feel right bringing another piece of OPE into the world when there is a good one just needing a little bit of help.

Last edited:
That's how I get a lawn mower when I need one. The mower I'm currently using is about 14 years old, and was tossed for needing a $3 part. It still runs like a champ.

Way to go.
thumbsup2.gif

Now, how old is the oil or did you change it and what did you put in it?
smile.gif

Level didn't change, and there is no gas smell to the oil. Its a blend of Napa syn 5w30 and supertech 5w30. I just changed it last summer.

I do have a bottle of pyb 30w if I change my mind.

Last edited:
Gotta love the old Briggs Quantums. Got one on a ~30yr/old aluminum decked Toro recycler in the family. They're nice and quiet with the wrap-around fuel tank and big mufflers. Never once touched the carb on that Toro!

Last edited:
Four pumps of the primer and still started on the fist pull today with no leaks.
TBH I am relieved, after talking to the guy at the saw shop I wondered if I should have gotten the complete kit with the base gasket (O-ring) and filter housing for $10.00.

I smelled the oil again, and it smelled of fuel a little bit, I don't know if it was from a year of fuel dillution, or from 30 minutes and less than 12 oz. of fuel from a flooding carb. Really I think 100% of the fuel ran out the front of the carb.

I went ahead and changed the oil anyway for PYB SAE30. Now I need more oil for my 2HP project engine.

Picking up cheap or free OPE's is one of my favorite hobbies. A little TLC and they almost always run just fine.

Heh heh, Been re-habbing freebie mowers for 20 yrs. Fun and instructive. Worked up from B+S 3.5 hp push mowers to various Toros and Lawnboys. The Ultimate score has been the sit down that started life as a '77 IH Cadet 80. It was re-powered with a B+S I/C 11 hp flathead. It is a bodged together beast that mows the yard in 45 minutes. Since '01, I have kept it it mowing as needed. Far more mowing than fixing. But some fixing evry year. It takes the pressure off the current Toro 3 speed I use as a trimmer. 20 yrs old and still starts pretty near first pull. Both started last week with little drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back