"MS comes clean on Vista"

Status
Not open for further replies.
PMSL!
crazy.gif

laugh.gif

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=741891990

Ironic that you need flashplayer to watch it. But if you go direct to Blimp you can see it on Firefox wo flash.

Funny as heck. I bought a new PC (HP) that came with Vista, honestly it's not that bad. Bloatware? You bet. Crashing? Never. I've seen lots of whining, but have had few difficulties.

I've got Vista in dual-boot on a desktop and a laptop, and find myself using it over XP all the time. It works pretty well, it's not without warts, it's kinda neat.

I love the selection of gadgets - growing all the time. I can have stock quotes without the browser open. Large calculator, etc ideal for a widescreen monitor.

I certainly would not PAY to upgrade a PC to Vista. (Makes no sense) But a new machine fully loaded? That really is no problem.

People demand that Microsoft come out with a more secure operating system and when they do they complain about that new operating system. People can hate or like Windows Vista but in two years or so it will probably be on 75% of all desktop computers. Microsoft won the desktop operating system wars long ago. Even Steve Jobs is supposed to have said that to Fortune Magazine in something like 1998.

I have been using Mac OS X for over 5 years. If I do something like downloading updates from Apple I have to type in a password. Is that so different from Microsoft Windows Vista?

People want to have total control of their computer like in Windows XP and yet they demand greater security. Is that possible if you are running as Administrator all the time? The malware that might get on your computer has administrator privileges also in that case!

So far the evidence is that Windows Vista is a major security upgrade for Microsoft. Will that hold up? I don't know. Every black hat in the world is targeting Vista and two years from now maybe Vista will be as insecure as Windows XP. Who knows?

The black hats are not targeting Mac OS X. Maybe because worldwide Mac OS X almost does not exist compared to Windows.

Is Windows Vista perfect? Windows Vista is not perfect. Perhaps someday a total rewrite of Windows will become necessary.

But you can't hate Microsoft for trying to develop a more secure operating system. Everybody was complaining about security and they tried. At least give them credit for trying.

Quote:

Perhaps someday a total rewrite of Windows will become necessary.

Microsoft has talked about a complete rewrite of Windows yet continues to push it off beyond the 5 year horizon. They really can't do a rewrite as it's the fence that keeps their cash cows inside their pasture, MS Office.

I would love to see a rewrite, in 64 bit only. That makes total sense, but I don't believe we'll ever see it.

Windows is really not a bad OS when it is properly working, My biggest complaint with them is they seem to just bloat the software with un-needed ---- until it takes a mega CPU and 4 gigs of memory just to run it! While I don't use it, I can understand why apple/mac lovers love the Linux so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back