Mr Cool DIY split system

update: I guess I wasn't measuring the temp correctly - as an incoming air temp i considered the thermostat reading. When reading the air temp incoming into the unit and it was actually several degrees higher. with that, delta temp is around 17deg which is normal. although, due to the AC working for both zones (upper floor has no buffer from the ambient besides the roof and gets super hot) it's not enough to cool it down deeply. will be installing split system just for the second floor - that way temp upstairs is controlled and no hot air being sucked into the return. Mr COOL - here it comes.

I did an LG mini split in my previous home. I researched it all out for years (hundreds of hours) before pulling the trigger. The MrCool DIY does save a step with the refrigerant lines but your still a lot of work. It took me at least 25 hours of work due to where i wanted to run everything. Actually doing the refrigerant connections and vacuuming it down was only about 4 hours of that install. Getting the lines exactly where i wanted them and trimmed out took most of the time, and that wouldn't have changed with the MR Cool DIY. I would have saved $150 on vacuum pump and guages but the MR Cool can't touch the SEER levels of some Mitsubishi, LG, and other top brands.

FWIW an AC system doesn't "work hard". It might "work long" ie run at a high percentage of the time, but it's not working harder per se. It's either on or off.

My 18 year old home has an American Standard 2 stage, 16 SEER AC. It will run on high at times when the home needs maximum cooling. It will run on low at other times. Furthermore, there are times where the blower is high but the compressor is low or off.

It has a 5 ton and a 2.5 ton compressor (some newer ones have a variable speed compressor) . It has a variable speed air handler blower, and a variable speed condenser fan (outside unit) .

So it absolutely is not just on or off. The amount of cooling provided matches the thermal load.

For those in the South, consider a white tile or metal roof. It makes a world of difference.

Back