MPH4967 and dirty oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did my second fill of Pennzoil Platinum (the new gtl stuff). For the first fill, I had a Wix filter on it. It took around 1500km before I could easily start to see the oil level on the stick (e.e., it was so clear I could not see it). On this new fill, where I used a Motomaster MPH4967 (similar to an OCD?) I drove maybe twenty miles, and when I checked the oil this morning, it was already pretty dark -- like maybe 3/4 as dark as it looked on the old fill before I changed it.

Now I am not one who has to see super clean oil - it seems to me that when oil is doing its job, it gets dark. But I am a little concerned at the stark difference between the oil colour of Wix vs Motomaster (assuming this is the difference).

What say you all? Should I ditch the Motomaster? It's a cheap filter; I think it was less than $5 bucks, which up here in Canada is definitely on the low side of things.

Last edited:
I think you are fine. Dark oil has nothing to do with its remaining life. Also if the Motomaster is an Extra Guard clone, (which I believe it is?) it is more efficient than the WIX filter so you have nothing to worry about. Sounds to me like the synthetic is doing its job.
thumbsup2.gif

darkening can be from either cleaning(doubtful) or the additives discoloring from heat.. It is normal.

I just looked at the colour again, and it is not as dark as I thought initially. I guess I was shocked to see it dark at all, as I fully expected to have a difficult time seeing anything like the first time.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

I wonder why you went with a very good oil and a cheapo filter?? It's like putting new wiper blades on a broken windshield.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I wonder why you went with a very good oil and a cheapo filter?? It's like putting new wiper blades on a broken windshield.

Yeah, I know. It's what I had on hand.

Originally Posted By: HK45
Originally Posted By: Lubener

Yeah, I know. It's what I had on hand.

As long as the filter meets the minimum standard (correct specs and adequate construction) it is far less important to the engine than the oil IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back