Mouse guns out of stock

Originally Posted by Astro14

I don't see this spike in demand for certain things (mouse guns, concealed carry guns, semi-auto rifles, ammo) diminishing anytime soon.

Interesting..... Many thoughts come to my mind

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
I'm old. What is a "mouse gun"?

I think Jeff Cooper originated the term. He was dismissive of any handgun under .40 in caliber or rifle smaller than .30. And none of your effeminate 7.62x39 either, real men shoot full power .308 at a minimum.

BSW

Originally Posted by bsmithwins

And none of your effeminate 7.62x39 either, real men shoot full power .308 at a minimum.

BSW

Oh Oh
Were in trouble now
lol.gif

I think Jeff Cooper originated the term. He was dismissive of any handgun under .40 in caliber or rifle smaller than .30. And none of your effeminate 7.62x39 either, real men shoot full power .308 at a minimum.

BSW

Jeff didn't like Poodle shooters.

BSW

He wasn't wrong for his time. He was 75+ years old before they started making good 9mm ammo. Auto rifles in anything other than .223 were very heavy and bulky. If you were going to have a bolt action why have anything smaller than 7mm/08/.308. I'm sure he'd have different views if he had been born 40 years later.

Tis a good time be a reloader. I've been casting my own from straight lead and powdercoating. Just like baking cookies. Keep the velocity down and the powder coat doesn't even scrape off. No leading whatsoever..... Cases are cheap too by the 500 bag if you surf long enough.

gunbroker is the way to go, assuming that your ffl is open. i'm a fan of the naa mini single action, rimfire revolver for a mouse gun. mine is the naa survival1 model in 22lr but built on the slightly larger 22wmr frame. 22wmr is too much flashbang for too little extra result out of this short barrel, so i suggest a 22lr cylinder. aftermarket cv revision grops are essential. naa offers both a well built product and excellent customer service. mine fits anyplace.

Originally Posted by Driz
Keep the velocity down and the powder coat doesn't even scrape off. No leading whatsoever.....

What is the FPS limit before the powder coatings/flakes/melts/burns off?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Keep the velocity down and the powder coat doesn't even scrape off. No leading whatsoever.....

I'd like to know also. I load full power 10mm with cast/powder-coated bullets at just over 1300fps, and 38 Superb along with 44 Mag even faster. Coating suffers no ill effect and I've yet to have even a hint of leading. Rifle velocities perhaps?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by funflyer
Originally Posted by Linctex

I'd like to know also. I load full power 10mm with cast/powder-coated bullets at just over 1300fps, and 38 Superb along with 44 Mag even faster. Coating suffers no ill effect and I've yet to have even a hint of leading. Rifle velocities perhaps?

At least 2000-2200 fps. I've used them at that level in a .30-30.

The only place I've seen any knocked off was where it directly smacked into something hard. Even then it's usually just pressed in and smeared. I've used it for 150 grain round nose and gas check in 30/30.I can't say how fast the velocity was though.
A FWIW I used Harbor freight red and it worked great. Their other colors don't work well at all at least using the simple shake and bake method. Unfortunately HF quit selling the red a year ago. Many say Eastwood's powder coat works well and there's a couple online sellers. The HF Yellow is ok but seems thin and blotchy but it seems to work reasonably well at least on light handgun rounds.

Local big chain sporting goods store ammo section looked like it had been pillaged by Vikings. There was some .44 mag snake shot, .454 Casull, and some .50 S&W left but that was all the pistol ammo they had.

I'm well stocked up on my main calibers but wanted to pick up some .380 ACP for a new pistol I bought. Did get some mail ordered but finding an online vendor that had any stock took some work.

BSW

Lmao @ pillaged by Vikings!!! Love it!!!

I know it's not a great time, but I just bought a Sig P365 the other day, Dunham's, $499. I wanted the one with the safety, which this one had. The background check took a few days to clear. A few extra 15 round mags are inbound from ‘Jo Bob Outfitters' in KS, great service.

I have some holsters coming also. I may do some shooting today with it. I'm not a big Dunham's fan, but they had it, reasonable pricing, ok to deal with.

A lady was buying the ‘Hellcat' while I was there. They said the gun counter has been very busy.

I've been surfing on line gun sites.
It seems regardless of the caliber every hand gun under about $600 was sold out.
Same for semi auto rifles .

Originally Posted by marine65
I've been surfing on line gun sites.
It seems regardless of the caliber every hand gun under about $600 was sold out.
Same for semi auto rifles .

why not search on gunbroker? new, no reserve, under $400, parameters yield many taurus, sccy, hipoint; fewer s&w, beretta centerfire handguns; lots of ruger, heritage 22lr single action revolvers (excellent, fun learning tool).

Guns International has some decent S&W Model 10s listed for $500/$750.

I'd be a tad leery of those used police turn ins. Cops used to qual once a year in most places and often used wad cutters ect to do it. Since the 80s most if not all had to go with full power rounds and many a S&W Model 19 ( nice lighter .357 great to carry all day) had theirs shoot loose in fairly short order. I knew one of them. They shoot 3-4 times annually.
I know a lot come in from foreign where they aren't so abused but what are the odds of getting that cherry as opposed to one shot to death ? Cops don't exactly baby their guns either. For most it's a tool period . Nearly all of us never cleaned ours except after shooting at the range, back in the holster till next time. Another thing, those Turn ins aren't exactly cheap either. You used to get them for $200 which is a lot more worth taking the chance. $400+ is a lot IMO.
I'd stick to sale shopping the net , especially with the alloy framed guns. Sign up for the sales flyers from places like Buds, palmetto Armory and gun buyer and shop the sales. I got my 642( no stupid lock to foul) for $335 free shipping + $25 transfer fee a year ago . This year I got a ,22 Rugar Model 10-22 rifle for $200 free shipping +25 fee. Most were selling right at $300 lately and I could have gotten the 642 for even less earlier had I pulled the trigger 6 months prior. The sales come and go and there's often police and veteran discounts that shave off 10% you just gotta look. Like anything else it pays to shop around and be patient

Saw a S&W Model 10 on GI site in 2016. $365+shipping. Seller told me it had come with a large collection of high end guns and was left over from auction and was in excellent condition. Local FFL gunsmith opened package, examined revolver and remarked it looked like it had never been fired. He was right. Not a scratch,mar, ding or anything. Gun was made in 1981 and lacks the pinned barrel. Still, I got a new S&W for half of what they usually sell for. Still a gorgeous revolver.

Last edited:
About a year ago I picked up a DPMS AR15 on sale pretty reasonable . I didn't need it , but some day somebody will REALLY need it . If you get my drift ...It's unfired , in the box and still has the tags on it .
thumbsup2.gif

Back