Motul Specific 5w40 on a VW 2.0T FSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOAMotulSpecific.jpg

Just wanted to post my latest UOA for the Motul Specific i was running on my 08 VW GTI with the 2.0T. I've been searching for a better vw 502 approved oil that would resist some of this motor's tendency for shearing. 75% highway and 25% city, only Shell 93, no injector cleaner additives... also, my car uses NO OIL between 3.5-4k change intervals, so all these UOAs are done without makeup oil added. i'm hard on the car, usually in the boost when road/traffic conditions permit. occasional autocross thrown in every now and then. finally, the car has no motor mods.

the first two UOA's on the car were done with Castrol Syntec 5w40. i'm very happy with the downward trending in wear, especially iron, for my 2.0T. my iron / 1000 miles wear rate is below average for similar mileage 2.0T (please search for saaber2's posts for the trendchart). the motul maintained its viscosity a little better than the castrol, but still a lot of shear.

one of the big things that stood out was the addition of more calcium and boron in the place of magnesium in the additive pack. it was hard to find any relevant posts on boron... does anyone have any good information on the usage of boron as an anti-wear additive?

still encountering a fair amount of fuel dilution with the motul at 1%. certainly hurt the flashpoint a bit.

what do you guys think?

I think your engine is just wearing in and the normal trend would be to lower wear metals. So,prefering one of these oils over another is premature. Compare 'em at 50k.

Are you limited to a 502.00 oil, or can you use an API oil too (thinking Mobil, Redline and Shell)? You might also try a 504.00 oil, it's the latest VW sparker spec.

Unfortunately, i'm stuck with vw502 oils until my warranty runs out... redline has worked relatively well in this motor, and i will probably switch to that in the future...

i never attributed the decrease in iron wear to the type of oil being used. i was just happy with the latest number because it is on the low side of all the 2.0T UOAs floating around... however, the decrease did occur at a faster rate when using motul instead of castrol

The new VW 504.00 oils are usually backwards spec'd for 502.00, and should outperform the old 502.00 spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back