Motul 5W50 for 2016 GT350?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone can confirm whether Motul 5W50 meets Ford standard for the GT350.

According to the supplement, any Motorcraft substitute should meet "Ford specification WSS-M2C931-B".

Per the fact sheet (link), Motul meets "API SM / CF", but no mention of WSS-M2C931-B.

Don't want to assume, because even if viscosity holds up, phosphorus, detergents, and other additives may make it non-compatible.

I'm able to get Motul 5/50 at less than $9/Liter.

Not dirt cheap, but a little less than Motorcraft with shipping.

https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/202/original/Sport%205W-50%20(GB).pdf?1323963250

If the TDS doesn't list it as an approved fluid, it isn't. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work. But with so many approved options...

Not sure what weather it will driven in (put away for winter ?) but Shelby has recommended Mobil 1 15w50 in the Super Snake

Originally Posted By: wemay
If the TDS doesn't list it as an approved fluid, it isn't. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work. But with so many approved options...

^ This.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I would not use Motorcraft 5W50, it shears and goes down in viscosity quite badly.
Mobil 1 5W-50 or Motul Sport 5W-50 should do well.

Neither of those other two products carries the relevant spec.

Regarding the shearing: keep in mind, that's probably the most obvious thing to notice in an oil. Do we really think Ford's engineers didn't notice? Or are we saying they noticed, but didn't care that it'd have a detrimental effect on their shiny new exotic Voodoo engine?

Far more likely: either it doesn't actually shear much, and the UOAs you've seen are not representative -- OR, it does shear but that's not a problem for this engine with reasonable OCIs.

If it were my GT350, I'd stick with spec oil -- at least until the warranty was up.

+2 on if the data sheet or the container doesn't list the spec then it doesn't carry it either. Those are the places to look, not Bitog.

It depends on whether you really want an oil with the spec or not?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
We pause briefly so jared can paste in some irrelevant information related to the OP; now back to the program...

I fixed your typo
wink.gif

18.gif
Castrol Edge ... super cars break each other's record often.
Races are won by different teams with different lubes often ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
18.gif
Castrol Edge ... super cars break each other's record often.
Races are won by different teams with different lubes often ...

Beware of not agreeing that castrol edge is not the best may open you up to be personally attacked the poster of the Castrol Edge comments. Even though your comment is common sense and knowledge.

I know - saw your exchange - not saying it's not good stuff - but what gets beat to death here and elsewhere is this "best and better" stuff. Next time I drop $3 million on a car I'll think a bit deeper ... in the mean time I'll try to support Mobil & Pennzoil and whatever else I find a good deal on.
BTW: my beloved Castrol was full synthetic multi vehicle ATF ... but apparently it got dumped ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I know - saw your exchange - not saying it's not good stuff - but what gets beat to death here and elsewhere is this "best and better" stuff. Next time I drop $3 million on a car I'll think a bit deeper ... in the mean time I'll try to support Mobil & Pennzoil and whatever else I find a good deal on.
BTW: my beloved Castrol was full synthetic multi vehicle ATF ... but apparently it got dumped ...

Agreed. Even though I took advantage of the amazon castrol edge deal and I've use the Belgium castrol due to AZ clearance, my engines will likely never know the difference in their lifetime and be destroyed by rust. I have valvoline, pennzoil, citgo, castrol and mobil all in my stash due to various sales, its all about price and performance to me. I have some PU 0w-40 lined up when this OCI of edge gets drained out
grin.gif

I would only use what Ford recommends while the warranty is in effect. I've dealt with Ford on warranty issues and I am not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back