Motul 300V mixed with Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what the pro's and con's were of mixing Motul 300V 15W-50 4T with Mobil 1 0W-40 in a 50/50 ratio? Any thoughts?
dunno.gif

These oils basestocks are so diffent. PAO/GRPIII/AN for M-1. Motul Ester/PAO/more than likely some GRPIII. But that would be moot since Motul is primary ester. Have you seen the UOA of M-1 mixed with Redline 50/50. It was not pretty.

Hi Dave, Im in South Africa and the M1 I have is about 6 months old, so my thinking is its not likely to contain GRPIII.
What is AN?
Good to hear that its not a good idea, I suppose the theory is if they wanted it to be mixed, they would do it in the first place.
The Motul as far as I am aware does not have any GRP III in it, its mostly Ester and probably has some PAO in it.

whats the point? to save $$$? To get diversity of your basestock?

Motul is a great oil, but very expensive, and for normal (even turbo use), other oils can foot the bill just fine. If you have real need for motul, do it right and put it in full strength. Otherwise, utilize another oil, of which there are many excellent ones, that will do the job for you.

JMH

Quote:

Have you seen the UOA of M-1 mixed with Redline 50/50. It was not pretty.

You got a link? Man, I KNEW something was odd!
laugh.gif

Seriously, I'm running a little over .5 qt of Redline 5W30, 2 qts of M1 5W30, and 2 qts M1 15W50. Everytime I've removed the dipstick, it's had a touch of foam. I removed the VC two days ago, though and there was just a sporadic bubble. But yeah, it seemed kinda odd. I never have gotten even a touch of foam, even when I dorked around and put some Lucas in.

Why do people mix oils? Do they have knowledge about the makeup of these oils that is not usually disclosed? If one synthetic oil has a careful balance of additives that work together and take care of the seals, and you mix another oil with a different mix, could that screw something up. If one more shot of something will mess up the additive package of an oil and you supply it by mixing, what have you gained? And how do you learn about what you're doing if you don't know what you started with and don't run enough miles and don't tear down you engine to check? Wouldn't it be more interesting to get mugged standing in line to buy a Sony Playstation?

Quote:

Why do people mix oils? Do they have knowledge about the makeup of these oils that is not usually disclosed? If one synthetic oil has a careful balance of additives that work together and take care of the seals, and you mix another oil with a different mix, could that screw something up. If one more shot of something will mess up the additive package of an oil and you supply it by mixing, what have you gained? And how do you learn about what you're doing if you don't know what you started with and don't run enough miles and don't tear down you engine to check? Wouldn't it be more interesting to get mugged standing in line to buy a Sony Playstation?

Yawn....

It's only oil....and it's only a car....

I hope you stay with one type of oil for the life of your car or otherwise, you'll be mixing oil.
shocked.gif

My car specs 4.2 qts of oil (or 4.1 depending on where in the manual you read). It's supposed to be 4 liters.

Anywho...

I mixed the 2 Mobil1s b/c I have a large stock of 15W50 that I got on closeout. So I thinned it out with 5W30. The redline was just to a.) get rid of it and b.) hopefully attain some further cleaning benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back