Motul 300V 10w40 900mi; Ford 5.0L Coy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently got a new UOA from Blackstone for my 2016 Ford Mustang GT. This is the supercharged 5L V8 coyote engine, car is a track toy. It's had some additional modification since the last UOA to increase power output. It's now running with a custom fuel system on straight Sunoco 260 GT Plus race gas. The oil used was Motul 300V Chrono 10W40 and the car was mostly getting miles from test/tune as I worked on it. Here is what it came back with:

Code

Date Sampled: 02/04/2019

Report Date: 03/12/2019

Miles Used: 919

Miles Engine: 6,343

Lube Changed: Yes

Filter Changed: Yes

Lab Name: Blackstone Laboratories

Fuel Dilution
Soot
Water 0.0% Vol

Glycol 0.0% Vol

SUS Viscosity 70.0

cSt Viscosity 12.96

Flashpoint 420 F

Iron 12 ppm

Chromium 0 ppm

Nickel 0 ppm

Aluminum 2 ppm

Copper 5 ppm

Lead 25 ppm

Tin 0 ppm

Silver 0 ppm

Silicon 12 ppm

Sodium 7 ppm

Potassium 5 ppm

Titanium 0 ppm

Molybdenum 583 ppm

Manganese 191 ppm

Boron 21 ppm

Magnesium 93 ppm

Calcium 2,330 ppm

Barium 0 ppm

Phosphorus 1,043 ppm

Zinc 1,111 ppm

Thanks for the notes. Lead is probably from the fuel you used and that's fine. High-octane fuel typically has lead in it and if you were to only use standard unleaded pump fuel, we wouldn't be surprised if lead dropped like a rock. We're confident these engines don't have lead bearings (or any lead parts) so don't let it bother you. Other metals look great and no harmful contamination was detected. The viscosity was correct for 10W/40-grade oil and the 0.3% insolubles show the oil filter did a great job with oxidized solids. Excellent report at 6,343 miles.

The race fuel I'm using is supposed to be unleaded, but I was getting the fuel from a shop that cleaned and recycled drums (55 gal) and had them filled at some distributor near town. While using that vendor my UOAs were all showing twice as much lead as this UOA! I have a feeling they were cross-contaminating fuel with leaded race gas when recycling the drums. It doesn't take that much lead to make that ppm, so maybe they just weren't washing the drums between customers. I wound up switching vendors midway through using this oil to one that sells pristine branded factory drums (for the same price!), so I think this is why that lead number got cut in half this UOA. +

The manganese is from the race gas, it's the octane booster MMT that's used in unleaded race gas. Overall I think it looks like a solid oil. Unfortunately Motul has discontinued it. I'm probably going to switch to their new 0w40 or similar racing product once my stock runs dry. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since its a track car/toy and the oil is thinning you might want to use a 50wt.

That is almost to 30wt (
Motul 15w50 comes to mind if you prefer motul.

Last edited:
Man I hope these race gas additives dont foul your wideband A/F sensors.

Does the tune ever run closed loop - other than idle?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
Since its a track car/toy and the oil is thinning you might want to use a 50wt.

That is almost to 30wt (
Motul 15w50 comes to mind if you prefer motul.

Yea I'll have to switch it up as they discontinued this oil anyway. May try that 15w50 they do, thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Man I hope these race gas additives dont foul your wideband A/F sensors.

Does the tune ever run closed loop - other than idle?

Yea it's almost always closed loop outside of cold start. I've not had any issues with the lambda sensors yet, Sunoco claims the MMT is fine, but I've definitely seen the orange deposits. I've tried to find additional information on MMT and oxygen sensors, but there isn't a ton of concrete information out there. Canada uses MMT in their pump gas, seems ok, they had a big paper out on it that kinda compiled the different earlier studies. Most were focused on emissions though. Some seemed to show MMT could reduces the lifespan of oxygen sensors others seemed to show there is no difference.

In case you're curious to read about it:

Here is the canadian paper: http://www.meca.org/galleries/files/Sierra_Research_Auto_Industry_MMT_Report_August_2008.pdf

Here is a presentation from the company that makes MMT additives: https://circabc.europa.eu/webdav/Ci..._Metallic_Additives_MMT_Presentation.pdf

Last edited:
I've not had any issues with oxygen sensors lasting up here in Canada with MMT in the gas. The Santa Fe's lasted 200K KM (120K miles) before one of them threw a code and I used the cheapest gas I could find at the time because it was on my dime. The converters were original when it went to the scrapyard at 535K KM (300K miles)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I've not had any issues with oxygen sensors lasting up here in Canada with MMT in the gas. The Santa Fe's lasted 200K KM (120K miles) before one of them threw a code and I used the cheapest gas I could find at the time because it was on my dime. The converters were original when it went to the scrapyard at 535K KM (300K miles)

Good to hear! I would imagine we would hear more from markets that use MMT if it were a major issue like some believe. Sunoco is also a major professional racing fuel supplier, so I tend to trust them for this particular fuel. Though one big diff from mmt treated pump gas and this fuel will be the amount of MMT used to treat the fuel. My guess is they use a lot, everything is bright orange on the combustion side. So maybe it does gum something up, but there is no way this engine is ever living to even 100k miles ;-).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oesman
Sweet! Thanks! I was thinking of trying their new chrono replacement product:

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/300v-competition-15w50--2

That is also what I was referring too. You could always mix in a liter of 5w30 if you think its too thick after the first run of it(with uoa)

Too bad you dont need 5w30, I'm sitting on a about 26 cans of the 5w30 version. Amazon price mistake
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by oesman
Sweet! Thanks! I was thinking of trying their new chrono replacement product:

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/300v-competition-15w50--2

That is also what I was referring too. You could always mix in a liter of 5w30 if you think its too thick after the first run of it(with uoa)

Too bad you dont need 5w30, I'm sitting on a about 26 cans of the 5w30 version. Amazon price mistake
grin2.gif

Cool, yea I thought you might have meant this one in your earlier post. It's very likely that one will be on my short list, will definitely post a UOA of that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back