Motorcycle tire changer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, That third hand is invaluable to hold the tire away from the lip. Yeah the tube type tires are a pain but you just have to go slow and make sure not to pinch it. Motorcycle super store gave me the best tire pricing with free shipping. It was here in 2 business days.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Are bike tires balanced?

They are, but there's no need to use wheel weights if you use Dynabeads...IMO they are a much better option than weights...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Are bike tires balanced?

They are, but there's no need to use wheel weights if you use Dynabeads...IMO they are a much better option than weights...

I have to admit I don't really understand those.

If they work why wouldn't a cup of water? Or sand?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Are bike tires balanced?

I have to admit I don't really understand those.

If they work why wouldn't a cup of water? Or sand?

I don't really know how they work either. I've used them before and I know they do work...

I took my tire and wheel to my Harley dealer and had them balance it. It took 2 tiny weights and it rides very smooth. The weights are the stick on type, so I'll have to keep an eye on them. The best part...the service manager said there was no charge for the balance! I almost fell out!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I took my tire and wheel to my Harley dealer and had them balance it. It took 2 tiny weights and it rides very smooth. The weights are the stick on type, so I'll have to keep an eye on them. The best part...the service manager said there was no charge for the balance! I almost fell out!

Wheel weights are an eyesore, and they can come off, which is why I use Dynabeads...you should give them a try...

The wheel weights are tiny and chromed to match the wheels. You would be hard pressed to see them unless you were looking for them. My bike has tube type tires with spoked wheels. I don't know if the dynabeads would work in a tube.

The wheel weights are tiny and chromed to match the wheels. You would be hard pressed to see them unless you were looking for them. My bike has tube type tires with spoked wheels. I don't know if the dynabeads would work in a tube.

That's good point, I don't know if they can used in an inner tube either...

I got a new rear tire mounted using the tire changer this week, so I should be good for a while. It paid for itself in only 2 tire changes, vs what the dealer wanted to mount 2 tires, and what I paid for it used on CL. It is definitely much faster and easier than being on your knees with tire spoons and a big rubber hammer.

Yes.

Dynabeads can be used in tubeless tires but obviously the valve stem needs to be removed and it can be tedious getting those beads in.

I used Dynabeads a few years ago in my GS but have run unbalanced tires for the last 5-6 years and have not noticed a difference. I suspect that most new quality tires are well balanced to begin with and my KLR and Harley don't go fast enough to notice an unbalanced tire anyways.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bigdreama

Dynabeads can be used in tubeless tires but obviously the valve stem needs to be removed and it can be tedious getting those beads in.

If you're installing a new tire, Dynabeads can be purchased in different sized bags so you can just place the appropriate sized bag inside the tire before it's mounted on the rim, which is MUCH easier than feeding them in through the valve stem...

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I misspoke. I meant TUBED tires of course.
thumbsup2.gif

And if using them in an inner tube, then you would have to feed them in through the valve stem...

Feeding the dynabeads into a tube tire: Get yourself a clear squeeze dispenser like they use for mustard or ketchup in restaurants. Remove valve. Put desired weight of dynabeads in the squeeze bottle and install, tapping the bottle as needed. Note: they sell clog free valves for these as the beads may become lodged in the valve otherwise, causing loss of air.

for the amount of money we have paid to have tires balanced and not noticed any difference between ride and wear quality we not longer balance them and haven't used dynabeads.

I guess maybe balance issues are more susceptible to certain bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back