Motorcycle specific oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Doog
Nobody buys a Harley as a performance bike.
13.gif

Some of us don't buy them because they don't perform
grin.gif

LOL, Yeah but they are still one of the most inspiring and fun motorcycles I have ever ridden. I wish I had the cash to have kept one of them but maybe one day.

Why do so many "performance " bikes become extinct after only a few years of production ? Could it be their owners tire of the uninspired looks ? Maybe a bike that can only go faster then the legal speed limit gets them too many tickets, and is no fun to ride at normal speed limits? or cost more to insure then it's worth? Since the '70's almost every metric bike company has brought out their "Superbikes" designed to go faster, handle better, and put Harley out of business. They made so many models they ran out of names, so they started numbering them. The thought was "sell bikes at a lower price then a Harley and we'll sell millions of them", well that hasn't worked out too well.You can still buy '09's right off the showroom floor. And being their produced like popcorn, their demand and resale is depressing. What's up with trying to copy Harley's design? Every company now makes a v-twin motor with saddle bags and floor boards and windshield.That should have been sure fire right? Nah, their bikes still look like cheaply made knockoffs. In a world where people can buy any bike they want, people want the real thing, and are willing to pay a premium for it. Harley never sold its bike with a sales pitch of being the fastest bike on the planet, or the best handling. 110 years of production with a loyalty none of the other brands will ever see, is what makes a motorcycle great. Being a flash in the pan, here today gone this afternoon super dooper fast wizz bang bike, whos replacement model is already loaded on the boat for the USA, will never gain classic status or be anything but an edition to the long list of bikes they "used to make" that people couldn't wait to get rid of and forget about.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Why do so many "performance " bikes become extinct after only a few years of production ? Could it be their owners tire of the uninspired looks ? Maybe a bike that can only go faster then the legal speed limit gets them too many tickets, and is no fun to ride at normal speed limits? or cost more to insure then it's worth? Since the '70's almost every metric bike company has brought out their "Superbikes" designed to go faster, handle better, and put Harley out of business. They made so many models they ran out of names, so they started numbering them. The thought was "sell bikes at a lower price then a Harley and we'll sell millions of them", well that hasn't worked out too well.You can still buy '09's right off the showroom floor. And being their produced like popcorn, their demand and resale is depressing. What's up with trying to copy Harley's design? Every company now makes a v-twin motor with saddle bags and floor boards and windshield.That should have been sure fire right? Nah, their bikes still look like cheaply made knockoffs. In a world where people can buy any bike they want, people want the real thing, and are willing to pay a premium for it. Harley never sold its bike with a sales pitch of being the fastest bike on the planet, or the best handling. 110 years of production with a loyalty none of the other brands will ever see, is what makes a motorcycle great. Being a flash in the pan, here today gone this afternoon super dooper fast wizz bang bike, whos replacement model is already loaded on the boat for the USA, will never gain classic status or be anything but an edition to the long list of bikes they "used to make" that people couldn't wait to get rid of and forget about.,,

Hi, I ride a Triumph parallel twin 1600. Different style from Harley. Made in the UK and Triumph started making motorcycles a year before Harley Davidson did. Triumph motorcycles had parallel twins a long time ago. Some classic Triumph bikes were ridden by Marlon Brando, Lee Marvin, Steve McQueen and even Fonzi. Harley has 47% of the motorcycle market but there are the other 53% of other bikes that are still rolling around the planet.

I have a soft spot for British bikes . My first bike was a '69 Norton 750 Commando roadster. Fast bike handled good but had some design flaws. Undersized clutch and brake cables, mine would go thru at least 2 a season. Once broke a trans mainshaft, had to order one from the west coast took a month to get. Several electrical gremlins but nothing serious. For my first bike ,I loved it. Simple design you could work on yourself, and the price was fair.I also picked up a '71 650 BSA which was a fun around town bike.Not much to look at and wasn't a rocket ship but cheap and fun to knock around on.Those bikes had their own style and personality. Back in the day Triumphs were real popular and lots of them around. I see a few here and there these days.But nowadays there are more brands to chose from so, I guess that cuts into their market share.I wasn't aware they made a 1600 twin tho.,,

Nobody buys a Harley as a performance bike.
13.gif

Some of us don't buy them because they don't perform
grin.gif

LOL, Yeah but they are still one of the most inspiring and fun motorcycles I have ever ridden. I wish I had the cash to have kept one of them but maybe one day.

I don't know, I've actually ridden quite a few Harleys...not one of them inspired me...in fact, they've always left me quite puzzled as to why they're popular....

Very well said.

The only real "performance" Harley is the V Rod....anything else you can get ponies out of but darn it is cost prohibitive for many people.

As for the idea that metric bikes come and go after a few years, this is true. A lot of it has to do with the fact that there are advances so often in the field that they become obsolete for the thrill seeking rider and have to be replaced. Kind of like how the auto industry was in the heydey of the performance wars. Engines came and went as others outperformed them...as did body styles ect. There have been bikes that had considerable staying power. The old style V max, the Ninja 500, the Vulcan 500, the CB750, ect...were all around for a long time. Sports bikes are a lot like computers. Ya buy one and in a year they come out with something better and well...its keeping up with the Jones.

As a Brit bike owner myself I find we tend to get a pass from the HD crowd and the metric crowd. I have guys on Harleys come up all the time to talk to me about the Triumph they had back in the day and such...some didn't know they still make new bikes. And the metric crowd gives us a pass too cause well we have a very non Harley'esque engine that has a sound all its own. My 865 with a set of British customs on it makes a sweet sound.

Poetry.
Harley should put that comment on their website

What's up with trying to copy Harley's design? Every company now makes a v-twin motor with saddle bags and floor boards and windshield.

Since when is this Harley's design? The V-twin wasn't Harley's idea, and neither were saddle bags, floorboards, or the windshield, so I guess that makes them a copycat too. You may think the metric V-twins are Harley copies, but I can assure you they're not designed like a Harley...there are no 50 year old techonologies being used to design their bikes....

Last edited:
What's up with trying to copy Harley's design? Every company now makes a v-twin motor with saddle bags and floor boards and windshield.

Since when is this Harley's design? The V-twin wasn't Harley's idea, and neither were saddle bags, floorboards, or the windshield, so I guess that makes them a copycat too. You may think the metric V-twins are Harley copies, but I can assure you they're not designed like a Harley...there are no 50 year old techonologies being used to design their bikes....

Blah,blah,blah. K. You don't like Harley. That's fine,don't buy one but you can't argue with their success.
The twin cam isn't 50 a 50 year old design,and people like the looks and sound of these pushrod v-twins.
Cars these days are either ohc or pushrod engines. The ohc engines are a bit more high tech but corvette s still using a pushrod engine,so I guess old tech is still working for them.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Blah,blah,blah. K. You don't like Harley. That's fine,don't buy one but you can't argue with their success.
The twin cam isn't 50 a 50 year old design,and people like the looks and sound of these pushrod v-twins.
Cars these days are either ohc or pushrod engines. The ohc engines are a bit more high tech but corvette s still using a pushrod engine,so I guess old tech is still working for them.

There's no question about their success...I'm not arguing that, just pointing out that Harley didn't invent the V-twin engine design, or much of anything they have on their bikes really...people erroniously associate Harley with being the pioneers of these designs and they're not...they just happen to be a company that has been producing bikes of these designs longer than others...

BMW makes a V Twin?

Last edited:
The Brit bikes don't either, well not since WW2. They did it before Harley, and moved on to other ideas. Even the big Triumph 1600cc engines are parallel twins.

My favorite sounding V twin is actually a J.A.P. engine.

And for what it is worth, water cooling is not anywhere near a new technology. The old Matchless V twins were liquid cooled. Jay Leno has a 30's era Matchless powered Morgan cyclecar that is liquid cooled. Neat machine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tay
Guys, way out of topic...

Are you the topic police?

So the question is, does motorcycle or Hdeo oils prevent rust and is oil foaming bad? I've taken motors apart that have sat outdoors for years and have found the insides to be rust free.Anything that was exposed to air had signs of corrosion like valves and carb throats, but they are not in contact with any type of oil. Any oil will perform it's job the best when it's not frothy.That would cause oil starvation and more problems would be had and reported.I wouldn't sweat A few bubbles on the surface inside an oil tank, as the liquid oil under it is being pumped thru to do it's job.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back