Motorcycle Safety Practice Test - Test Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there was a discussion in another thread about required safety courses I thought I would post this as I found it interesting.

Here is a practice test on a Florida Safety course. Maybe better said, I found it in the website of an official FL government endorsed training center to get your license.
I got most right, the ones I missed are simply terms of textbook definitions that are given in the course.

By doubling the score of questions, 48 to 96 I got a test score of 76 or (37 out of 48)
I just pretty much carelessly/curiously clicked through the test as I got things to do today.
The ones I got wrong were text book definitions in the course.

Here is the test - click

Last edited:
45/48.

Did not know what the "No-Zone" was.
How to divide a lane
Pre-ride check acronym.

Seemed to be a lot of alcohol questions on it as well, and some questions are poorly worded.

The braking seems to be of question because with the disc brakes the back wheel with out anti lock can be off the ground

42/48 I missed some due to the test being structured for someone that has taken an MSF Course. Also I don't agree with some of their answers. 42 years of riding for me. One major accident due to a mattress flying off a truck in front of me and knocking me off the bike at 70 mph.

I didn't complete it, totally irrelevant to me - acronyms and methods I've never heard of. Give me a test in English, I might understand what they are talking about then.

A test without acronyms doesn't do anything for a bureaucrat's ego, though.
wink.gif

I used to help teach MSF classes. The "acronyms" have apparently changed. Clearly the test was intended for those that have attended a recent MSF class.

The MSF classes are certainly not the be-all, end-all of rider instruction. But they're arguably better than nothing, or someone going out on their own, and learning a bunch of bad habits.

43 - I deduced a lot of the acronyms and other course-based question by eliminating less likely answers. I also disagree with some questions - not all bikes use a 1-down-the rest-up gear pattern, and not all bikes use the same levers for brakes, clutch and gears. I would also question how far to look up the road - they say 12 seconds, I went for "as far as you can see". I am not going to ignore something that is 13 seconds up the road if I can see it.

Originally Posted by Garak
A test without acronyms doesn't do anything for a bureaucrat's ego, though.
wink.gif

Exactly, structures the "test" to favor people who took the course in order to make the course look worthwhile by making up words and /applying definitions to phrases that are in the course yet common stuff we do everyday when we ride.

Originally Posted by weasley
... I would also question how far to look up the road - they say 12 seconds, I went for "as far as you can see". I am not going to ignore something that is 13 seconds up the road if I can see it.

For me this was one of the more stupid ones. Every other advanced driving/riding tuition I've seen tells you to look as far as you can see. Who's going to look at their watch or clock to count 12 secs, or are you supposed to count the seconds off in your head while not concentrating on the task in hand. Getting this one wrong should have persuaded me to abort the test.

Originally Posted by barryh
... I would also question how far to look up the road - they say 12 seconds, I went for "as far as you can see". I am not going to ignore something that is 13 seconds up the road if I can see it.

For me this was one of the more stupid ones. Every other advanced driving/riding tuition I've seen tells you to look as far as you can see. Who's going to look at their watch or clock to count 12 secs, or are you supposed to count the seconds off in your head while not concentrating on the task in hand. Getting this one wrong should have persuaded me to abort the test.

Yes, missed that one, ridiculous and truthfully unsafe to put any limiting factor on situational awareness.

Another question (got it right, but highlights the inconsistency) asked about a margin of safety, and the correct answer was to create time and space. There is no limit to time and space, you use as much as you can or have to use. But a wrong choice on that question was the "12 second following distance"...

..Yet for the other question quoted above, 12 seconds is how far you are supposed to look ahead instead of "as far as you can see".

43 - I deduced a lot of the acronyms and other course-based question by eliminating less likely answers. I also disagree with some questions - not all bikes use a 1-down-the rest-up gear pattern, and not all bikes use the same levers for brakes, clutch and gears. I would also question how far to look up the road - they say 12 seconds, I went for "as far as you can see". I am not going to ignore something that is 13 seconds up the road if I can see it.

+++++

One of my bikes is right shift, down for up, the way it should be. I never have a problem with it.

And most certainly look ahead as far as you can see. I did a dodgy pass the other day on a really twisty road - but I had assessed the road ahead as far as I could see, the road was clear, and would be for the time I needed, it's just that when I pulled out to pass I had no visability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back