Motorcycle oil in a Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted Castrol to ask them if I can run some API SL (Castrol Power RS) in my 93 Accord. This is what I was told. I am not convinced that Motorcycles have narrower oil pathways?

I recently sold my Motorcycle and have some Power RS sitting in the Garage. I am tempted to run it thru my older Accords.

Reply from Castrol:"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol motorcycle oils should not be used in automobile engines and vice versa.

There are many important differences. As in cars, the primary job of oil in a motorcycle is to lubricate key moving parts -- the pistons, cams, valve stems, etc. However, for most 4-stroke motorcycles (all Japanese models) the oil ALSO bathes the starter assembly, transmission, and clutch.

Even though they both run on gasoline, motorcycle engines are very different from passenger car engines. Motorcycles have much smaller oil sump sizes and also run much hotter and at higher engine speeds. Since there is less oil cycling through the engine and cooling even hotter engine parts, it is working harder and faster than an oil in a passenger car.

Passenger car motor oils (PCMO) are designed to protect the engine.
Motorcycle oils also have to protect the engine, but they also have to protect the clutch and gearbox. While protecting the engine, motorcycle oils must protect against oxidation, wear and deposit formation, which is similar to a passenger car oil. However, since a motorcycle engine is much smaller, the oil must be formulated to travel smoothly through narrower pathways.
PCMO also contains friction modifiers, which may cause slipping and acceleration loss in a motorcycle. And the lower-viscosity motor oils that are required by modern cars may not protect gears properly and can lead to gear failure.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the engine manufacturer for the recommended oil (i.e. SAE grade, API rating and manufacturer specifications) specific to your application. This information can always be found in the vehicles owner's manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

Castrol Consumer Relations"

Last edited:
My Scion TC and my Triumph Speedmaster both take 4 quarts to fill up on an oil change.

It will work in your car just fine as SL is above what your owners manual calls for which is probably SH.

Always assume they will tell you no you cannot use it to cover their butts.

You accord will specify an ILSAC energy conserving oil, which will be friction modified, limited in phosphorous, have an HTHS around 3 or lower.

Your bike oil is none of the above. Typically protection is provided by HTHS and additive treat rates.

They are covering their quoits.

Use it, and there'll be no issues.

NO Japanese bike has ever been made with a dry clutch? Never?
Seems to me to be an excuse for selling a little more oil "quality" for a lot more price. Also seems to me that air cooled Porsche and bug motors are a lot closer to air cooled bike motors than one might think. Note how the answer ignores the many dry clutch water cooled bikes out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Run it, I use pcmo in my motorcycle without a problem

Same here. I always used GTX 20W50 in my motorcycles.

I want to run Motorcycle oil in my car, not the other way around. The oil is rated API SL,JASO MA-2. I think it will be safe since I do not burn oil.

Originally Posted By: zmelli

I want to run Motorcycle oil in my car, not the other way around. The oil is rated API SL,JASO MA-2. I think it will be safe since I do not burn oil.

That SL oil has even less zddp than the the SH oil than the car saw when it was younger.

Originally Posted By: zmelli
I am not convinced that Motorcycles have narrower oil pathways?

Technically speaking motorcycles are a dense package compared to a cage... engine plus gear
box routinely tip the scales at around 160 pounds whereas the Accord is 500+ pounds... if
the left over Power RS is a 30 weight I'd use it in the cage... if it ain't I'd give it away
to a motorcycle buddy... it ain't a question of safe rather Honda's recommended oil viscosity...

RC45 Oil System
RC45OilSystem.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
NO Japanese bike has ever been made with a dry clutch? Never?

Just off the top of my head, I recall the '86 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Limited Edition had a dry clutch.

If the weight is appropriate for the car... I cannot see any issues. Just like running HDEO or any non-ec "car" oil in a motorcycle. That said, most newer passenger vehicles run lighter oil weights as compared to most motorcycles.

Last edited:
There is no problems used my a bike oil in a car. It's just going to be a bit thicker since the trend in cars is for thinner lubes.
Going to a 40 grade bike oil may make the engine a bit sluggish at low throttle inputs.

There's Larry enlightening us again. Mr credibility.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
There is no problems used my a bike oil in a car. It's just going to be a bit thicker since the trend in cars is for thinner lubes.
Going to a 40 grade bike oil may make the engine a bit sluggish at low throttle inputs.

There's Larry enlightening us again. Mr credibility.

Well it really depends. I know the manual for my Toyota 2AZ=FE engine, under the right temps you can use even 20w50 oil and be fine.

Here is an oil chart from an Australian Prius manual that demonstrates it is okay to use thicker oils in some temps.

29xyx3c.png

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but this thread seems similar to my situation.

I bought some 75w85 gl4 gear oil for my car online, only to discover when it was delivered it has motorbike gear oil written on the label.
I've tried googling and the only info I can find on the difference between motorbike and car gear oil is that some bikes use the same oil for transmission/engine so you shouldn't use car enging oil in a bike, even if it's the same viscosity, I can't find anything about using bike gear oil for a car gearbox.
It has the same viscosity/api rating as the manual says to use, could there be any problem from it being motorbike oil?

It is important is the that the GL rating is the same as called for in the manual. If that matches, you are likely fine to run it. There are bike specific gear lubes because there are certain designs that have concern over auto lubes and their possible negative effects on yellow metals. Harley Sportsters for instance share a primary and transmission and the stator windings can be attacked by a gear oil with an improper additive package that would otherwise work well in a passenger vehicle.

Last edited:
If that is a problem with Harley...than you could buy double rated GL 4/5 oil...it has different chemistry than straight GL5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back